Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Kodachrome Basin State Park: Panorama Trail Short Loop

The Panorama Trail in Kodachrome Basin State Park is a fairly easy trail. You have an option to do a shorter 3 mile loop, or a longer 6 miles loop. There are a number of interesting things to see along the way.

Panorama Trail 1

Panoramic of the cliffs you hike below.

IMG_8766

Sedimentary Pipes along the trail.

Quick Details:

Length: 3 or 6 mile loop.
Difficulty: DR3. Easy when the weather is fine, might be more tough on hotter days.
Elevation Gain: Not much.
Restroom: No, but there is one a little further down the road near the picnic area and campground.
Dogs? Yes, must be leashed at all times. Please clean up after your furry friends.
Other Info: You are in the desert. Be sure to have appropriate gear and plenty of water. Also, for your first time I recommend bringing along the map as there are quite a few trail splits.

To Get Here:

On the main Kodachrome Road head to the main trail parking lot. If you pass the Laundromat you went too far. You will need to cross the street to access the trailhead.

The Trail:

IMG_8736

Trailhead Sign.

IMG_8738

Behind us we can see the prominent sedimentary pipe in the park you can see it from all of the trails we did today.

IMG_8739

Looking back towards the parking lot you can see a couple other pipes.

IMG_8741

Red wall.

IMG_8742 - Copy

I like that super tall skinny arch.

IMG_8744 - Copy

The main pipe.

IMG_8746

You will cross several washes along the trail.

IMG_8749

IMG_8750

Loving the rock formations.

Panorama Trail 1

Panoramic view.

IMG_8756

More pipes.

IMG_8757

The arch again.

IMG_8758 - Copy

The main pipe. I want to say this one has a name but it isn’t listed anywhere that I saw.

IMG_8760

The trail is fairly wide and sandy.

IMG_8763

Another fun pipe.

IMG_8766

And two more. I like the rings on these ones.

IMG_8767

IMG_8768

From different angles.

IMG_8771

And the other one. Man, there are a lot of pipes on this trail.

IMG_8773

Again.

IMG_8774

You can see some plant life growing on top of it.

IMG_8775

From behind.

IMG_8782

Neat monolith.

IMG_8786

You can see Bryce Canyon from here.

IMG_8788

Another cool formation.

IMG_8789

Another pipe.

IMG_8792

This one has an itty bitty window.

IMG_8794

Another one.

IMG_8797

The first main trail split, this is for the inner loop. So whether you want to do the shorter loop, or the longer one, it really doesn’t matter which way you go. We decided to go right.

IMG_8802

The white cliffs above the basin.

IMG_8803

This is the feature that made me decide to do this trail today, Indian Cave.

IMG_8805

Not so much a cave as it is an alcove.

IMG_8806

But here is the interesting thing. The worn away hand prints located near it.

I couldn’t find much information about them. I do know there is a somewhat similar feature at Freemont Indian State Park (which has been on my list for a while, but we have yet to make it there) called the cave of 100 hands.

IMG_8807

IMG_8808

The deepest one is a good 3-4 inches deep.

IMG_8811.

IMG_8812

It is truly bizarre.

IMG_8815

The entire panel.

From what I can tell, this is still kind of a mystery.  But I think it is pretty neat. Anyway, on to the rest of the trail.

IMG_8820

Another pipe.  This one kind of has a face on the left side. This just made me think of Liberty Cap in the Mammoth Hot springs area in Yellowstone.

IMG_8823

Even from the front it still looks like a face that is puffing out his cheeks.

IMG_8828

The next named feature is Ballerina Spire. It really does look like an outstretched leg with a pointed toe in a ballerina slipper.

IMG_8829

IMG_8830

IMG_8833

This one is pretty neat too!

IMG_8839

The cliffs above.

IMG_8848

And not far from the ballerina is the next named feature, the Hat Shot.

IMG_8849

This is a couple of hoodoos that have harder stone caps.

IMG_8855

Here you can see a couple of the different stone material piled around it. There is a similar feature in Bryce Canyon called the Hat Shop that I thought about exploring this trip, but didn’t.

IMG_8856

Another wash.

IMG_8859

The cliffs above. I love the pink stripes.

IMG_8864

Ballerina Spire doesn’t quite look like a leg from here.

IMG_8865

Looking back at the Hat Shop.

IMG_8866

I’m not 100% sure, but I think this is petrified wood.

IMG_8869

Ballerina Spire again.

IMG_8871

Another wash.

IMG_8873

Another pipe and I think I see a smaller one on the top of the cliffs.

IMG_8878

A little tiny pipe.

IMG_8882

With me for size comparison.

IMG_8880

I’m glad I wanted to get the size comparison shot because I’m not sure I would have noticed the hand prints if we hadn’t. Wasn’t expecting that at all.

IMG_8887

More pipes.

IMG_8889

Big rock again.

IMG_8891 - Copy

This one is kind of neat looking. I was sad to see the trail didn’t get close to it.

IMG_8898

I think this is an example of the crytobiotic crust or soil. This is a very fragile community of organisms that live in desert soils. This is one of the main reasons they ask to please stay on the trail. It can be nearly invisible in early stages as well so even if you cant see it, you want to stay on the path.

IMG_8902

This is why I recommend bringing the map with you. I thought I had the plan correct in my head: I wanted to take the short loop out to Secret Passage, not the longer loop to Cool Cave.However, when we got here I mixed them up so we skipped this loop and ended up adding extra. Oi.

Anyway, you can add this to the shorter 3 mile loop if you want. it doesn’t look like much extra, otherwise stay left to do the main loop.

IMG_8904

IMG_8907

Cliffs above.

IMG_8908

Here is where my aforementioned mix-up struck again. This is the fork that determines how long your hike will be. The shorter loop is to the left. The longer one is to the right. Again, I confused myself so we went right. Lucky for us, there is another trail split so we only ended up adding probably another mile to our intended hike.

IMG_8909

This took us down into this weird little valley.

IMG_8910

With some neat formations.

IMG_8912

Nice view.

IMG_8913

Cool band of color.

IMG_8919

Another nice view. Oh, and what is this?

IMG_8919 - Copy

Digital Crop: I  thought this might be Big Bear Spire, it does kind of look like a bear waving at us from this angle, but this is in the shorter loop, and I think Big Bear Spire is in the longer loop.

IMG_8920

Another nice view.

IMG_8923

More cliffs and what looks like a small set of narrows.

IMG_8926

IMG_8928

More cliffs.

IMG_8929

Pile of fallen rocks.

IMG_8935

Another rock face that has a face. Yes, I am aware of pareidolia: the phenomenon of seeing patterns that don’t exist, particularly faces.

IMG_8936

Another big spire.

IMG_8939

More cliffs.

IMG_8947

I like the white pipe against the red cliffs.

It was about this point that I began to suspect we had inadvertently put ourselves on the longer loop. While I did want to see cool cave, there were other trails in the park I wanted to explore as well. So, we turned back and took the second split which had a sign stating to TH, so we surmised (correctly) that was the shortest route back.

IMG_8950

More cryptobiotic crust.

IMG_8952

Fun formations.

IMG_8956

Another spire.

IMG_8960

There is a little trail out to it.

IMG_8961

IMG_8962

Nice view from here too.I’m not sure where this trail goes, so we decided to head back to the main trail.

IMG_8965

It does allow you to get close to the big spire.

IMG_8974

The south end of the loop is not as exciting as the north end, but it is still pretty and offers a nice view.

IMG_8976

Dead tree.

IMG_8977

IMG_8979

Looking back towards the cliffs.

IMG_8985

What I thought might have been Big Bear Spire, but is not.

IMG_8987

Back to the cliffs.

IMG_8991

A view of Bryce Canyon again.

IMG_8991 - Copy

Digital crop.

IMG_8993

Getting closer to that big rock.

IMG_8998

Cool rocks.

IMG_9001

We passed the trail spur to Panorama Point and decided to skip it. I am sure it offered a great view but, meh. We wanted to see what else Kodachrome Basin had to offer.

IMG_9007

Closest view of the big rock.

IMG_9011

Looking towards the trailhead.

IMG_9012

And the white cliffs to the north.

IMG_9015

You can see Ballerina Spire from here.

IMG_9027

Crossing another wash. I imagine the trails must close during rainstorms as it is very dangerous/deadly to cross a wash when it is raging.

IMG_9030

Looking back towards the big rocks.

IMG_9036

Bryce Canyon again.

IMG_9046

And we are back to the trail before the loop split.

IMG_9054

A familiar pipe.

IMG_9057

Familiar formations.

IMG_9060

The main prominent pipe again. better lighting now.

IMG_9065

Now we are in the main basin again.

IMG_9066

Interesting plant.

IMG_9069

More rocks.

IMG_9070

Cliffs near the trailhead.

That trail was incredible! So many interesting formations and views. And pretty easy going. I don’t think I would recommend doing this on a hot summer day as there was not much shelter but it was awesome on this cooler blustery day. Looking back at the map I am kind of kicking myself for not just continuing to Cool Cave as we had pushed on to almost halfway there, but I think if we had done that we would not have had the time or energy to do the couple of other trails we ended up doing. All in all, I enjoyed what we did. And I again suggest taking the map with you if it is your first time. Going with 9 out of 10 squirrels.

As for difficulty, This trails was pretty easy going. A couple ups and downs, some sandy spots, and a smidge of slick rock. Pretty easy peasy.

9 Squirrels

Dogs are allowed, leashed. Be aware of temperatures though as it might be too hot for your pups feet.

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

No comments: