Saturday, June 15, 2024

Jordan Pines Campground

Jordan Pines Campground in Big Cottonwood Canyon is a campground for large groups. Each site contains a large firepit with several tables and benches around it, a small grill, potable water, nd vault toilets. Each site also has multiple clearings for multiple tents to be set up. It is a great campsite for gathering a large group of friends or family. If you don't have a big group consider nearby Spruces Campground.

A group of our friends typically do an annual camping trip up here. Normally we would have joined them, but after camping last weekend, we were not really up for it this time. However, we did decide to go hang out with them for a little while, and explore the campground after our short little hike up to Donut Falls


Reed and Benson Ridge above.


Little white flowers.


Pretty yellow flowers.

We decided to take a quick break and go have dinner.


Silver Fork Lodge and Restaurant (PSP)


We decided to go have dinner at the Silver Fork Lodge where I found this weird sculpture. Like I mentioned, we camped last weekend, so I didn’t want camp food again. Plus, it sounds like Silver Fork Lodge may no longer exist as it is for much longer as the owner is retiring. It sounds like the town of Brighton wants to preserve the historical building, and has been granted rights of refusal to whoever buys it, but most of the ideas they have shared do not include keeping the restaurant/lodge model. So, I guess we will see what happens. Either way, I am glad we decided to visit again before whatever happens to it.

After dinner we decided to rejoin our friends at Jordan Pines.


Some pretty blue penstemon.


Pretty woods.

I decided to have a little explore. The campground host informed our hosts that there was a moose and baby in the area. That was part of it, but also, I am in the woods so of course I want to have a look about.


Kessler Peak. By the way, there are a couple of ways to connect to the Donut Falls trail in here, this way at the back of our campsite has a short tough scramble, but there is an easy way to get to it at the front of the campground too.


Some larkspur. I successfully grew a larkspur to bloom this year in my garden. Well, I started it last year, and managed to keep it alive long enough to bloom this year.


Kessler Peak again.


A more purple larkspur.


Pretty flowering tree.


The moon and Reed and Benson Ridge.


Campfire.


The moon again.

Eventually we decided it was time to head on home and let the dogs out. But I am glad to have had some time with this group of friends again. It’s been a while, and I love seeing them. Next year I need to be more careful about when I plan camping trips with other friends!

No comments: