The Ziegfeld Theater in Ogden is a new theater, in an old theaters clothes. It has been the Ziegfeld since 2012. Before that it was a theater called The Country Club Theater, which the best I can find started sometime before 1950. So yeah, it is an old theater.
We learned they were putting on Avenue Q, we absolutely loved Avenue Q the first time we saw it so heck yeah we wanted to go! We had a small group of friends who wanted to see it with us as well so it was a fun group adventure.
Quick Details:
Length: However far away you park.
Trail Type: Get in and sit.
Difficulty: DR2.
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: Yes, but it is TINY!!!! But I mean, what do you expect from a 75+ year old building.
Dogs? No.
Other Info: Fee Area. This one was $26 per ticket.
Note: Avenue Q is Rated R for strong language, adult themes, and sexual content.
To Get Here:
Take i15 north to HW89, after you pass the i84 interchange go about 5.4 miles. It will be on the right just after 40th Street.
The parking lot is very small. they are currently suggesting to park just to the north on the west side of the road in the old Big Lots parking lot, or you can find street parking. Plan a few extra minutes to account for that.
The Trail:
From the side. The sign is quite faded.
A little closer.
The front sign still looks good.
Old box office.
The lobby. It is super, super tiny.
The auditorium.
The Stage. They had an old rear projection big screen T.V. playing 90’s ads. That was a fun blast from the past.
At intermission I went outside to get a couple more shots.
The Avenue Q sign.
The left side of the building.
Z’s Sweets next door. It has been a few years since we came here, but if I remember correctly, it was pretty good ice cream. Plus a fun store with lots of candy options.
The marquee and sign.
Avenue Q poster. It is a blown up version of the playbill cover.
I wandered out to the edge of the parking lot to get a picture of the whole theater.
The stage again.
Here is a fun Easter egg, the closed plant store on the right has an Audrey 2 in the window. The next play they are doing is… Little Shop of Horrors. I wonder if they always do something like that, or if this was a one off, someone saw an opportunity and took it kind of thing. But, it tickled us.
Quick crop to see it better.
There is a fire in Weber Canyon. Yuck, I hope they get it put out quickly. That is a pretty canyon.
Lets go down memory lane for a quick minute with the help of Google maps. Going backwards in time as far as I can.
Here it is in 2026 as it looks now.
Back in 2019, it had a different paint job.
2012 when it became Ziegfeld, but they had not done the front yet.
2011. It was a church of some sort, but they were trying to sell it.
2008 it was the Country Club Theater. Also note, the candy shop next store, was originally 2 separate shops, and the fronts were quite different. I wonder if the people who own the Ziegfeld also own the candy shop?
Well, that was a fun trip through history. I like that I can do that with google maps.
I really enjoyed this theater. For such an old theater it was quite comfortable, with modern AC even! My friends all complained about their seats, but I was quite comfortable, so I might have won the seat lottery today. My only complaint is the tiny, tiny bathroom, but I mean, I don’t see how they could do much about that, short of buying the building next door. The play was amazing! It almost seemed as good as the Broadway version we saw at the Eccles Theater in Salt Lake years ago. Except for a few minor sound issues, but they were barely noticeable and the cast kept going. They did a really good job! I think we might just have to come back to see something else. 10 squirrels!
As for difficulty, it was a paved walk to the theater, with no stairs to get to our seats, DR2.
Dogs are not allowed.


















No comments:
Post a Comment