Sunday, December 15, 2019

Willow Creek Trail

The Willow Creek Trail is a paved community trail in Draper. It follows a shallow creek and is short and easy. It was, well kind of a let down. I was expecting a nice easy trail following a creek.through some fields. Well, I got easy. But the trail is more of a neighborhood trail and the creek, at least this time of year, was barely a trickle. It might be more enjoyable in the spring when the creek is flowing, but, probably not by much. I often enjoy doing these easier paved trails in the winter time when avalanche danger is high, so I am no stranger to them, this one just didn’t do it for me. It's possible that it just wasn't what I was expecting, so that might be why I didn't care for it.



Quick Details:

Length: About 2.1 miles out and back.
Trail Type: Out and Back or Double Balloon.
Difficulty: DR2. Paved fairly flat.
Elevation Gain: About 45 feet.
Restroom: There are some at Draper City Park not sure if they are open in winter.
Dogs? Yes, leashed.
Other Info: If you do this trail in December, try to time it so that you are done at dark so you can see the amazing Tree Of Life all lit up.

To Get Here:

From i15 take the 123rd south exit in Draper, head east. Turn right on 13th east go through the roundabout and take the first right turn right afterwards. Then immediate a left for the Draper City Park. The trail starts by the flagpole.

The Trail:



I love the little pedestrian covered bridge in Draper City Park. I think that is Potato Hill in the background. I’ve been meaning to check that out.



You will cross the little bridge with the Tree Of Life in the background.



The creek below. Hardly a trickle.

Shortly after the bridge you will come to a baseball field and a trail split. You can go left or right, they both lead to the same place. Ultimately you are working your way to the SW corner of it. If in doubt, just continue following the creek, with it on your right. (this will take the right fork).



At the SW corner of the baseball field you will come to the official TH sign.



The creek.



I guess there were a couple fields.



This one had some neat old cars.



First of 4 minor street crossings. You can also see the neighborhoods we are walking through.



Neat old tractor.



Walking through the neighborhood.



Going around the bend.



Second minor rd. crossing.



Third.



Fourth.



A hawk swooped right over our heads!



Then landed in some distant trees.



Naturally this called for the telephoto lens. It’s hard to tell for sure with the lighting, but I think it is a red tail hawk.



Rustling out the feathers.



Another shot.

Well that was pretty much the highlight of the trail.



The end of the trail is at this more major crossing at Fort St. But, I was a little distracted by the hawk so we kept going a little further.



Just as I was getting close enough to get a good clear shot it took off again. Meh. Oh well, I got some alright shots of it.



We got as far as the East Jordan Canal before I decided to call it. Now we were just on a sidewalk. This was only about a tenth of a mile extra.



Clouds above the mountains.



TH sign on the Fort St. end.



Oh neat. You can see the Bear Canyon Suspension Bridge from here.



The water tower we saw on the way to Alien Tower.



I thought for a split second we could see Alien Tower too, but upon further review, I think it was a church steeple. I have been trying to see if I could see Alien Tower from down in the valley and just haven't been able to spot it yet. Maybe one day.



Potato Hill again.



Fun low hanging clouds.



I liked the festive wreath on that old barn. Looks like there is some historical information on it, but I didn’t walk out to go see it. Maybe another time.



The water tower again, and the steeple I thought might have been Alien Tower.



The little covered pedestrian bridge.



Close up of the Tree Of Life.



The covered bridge over the Willow Creek.



The Tree Of Life again.



Here is a picture from last Christmas. It is really neat when they light it up.

Well, the trail was kind of a bust. I would probably have enjoyed it more had I timed it with the Draper City Park lights, or maybe if the creek was flowing a little better, but meh. Not my favorite trail. Though seeing a hawk was nice. Going with 1 out of 10 squirrels.



As for difficulty, it is paved, and fairly flat. DR2.

Dogs are allowed by must be leashed. Please clean up after your furry friends.




No comments: