Saturday, August 1, 2026

801 Day

 801 Day is a newest city holiday with a smaller festival held in the Milk Block along the 9-line in Salt Lake City. It is A fun double entendre of our biggest area code, 801, and the date, August 1st, 8-01. It features a beer garden, vendors, food, and entertainment.

This is the first time I have ever heard of it, but I guess it started in 2023 so this is the 4th year! We learned about it at the City Cast Salt Lake booth on Pie and Beer Day. We thought it might be fun!

Quick Details:

Length: It’s only in a half block section between 402-430 East Harvey Milk Blvd. We ended up doing about 1.3 miles wandering about. It kind of felt like more though.
Trail Type: Meander.
Difficulty: DR2. It is paved and pretty flat.
Elevation Gain: We did about 16 feet.
Restroom: I didn’t see any special ones, but there were several participating businesses that likely had one.
Dogs? Yes, but I don’t recommend it. Between the crowd and the hot cement I don’t think they would have a good time. But we did see a couple cute doggos today.
Other Info: It is currently free to attend.

To Get Here:

From the south, take the West Temple Exit towards the north, be in the right lane though, you will turn right immediately on 9th South Harvey Milk Blvd. Go about 4 blocks east and you will see the festivities. Find parking, plan to hoof it a bit.

From the north take the 6th South exit, and make your way over.

402-430 East Harvey Milk Blvd.


South Salt Lake Water Tower (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)). You can see this bad boy from miles away.


Downtown Salt Lake City (PSP).

After going around the block, we ended up parking about 2 blocks away. Not a big deal, we’ve got legs.

The Trail:


Look at this absolutely adorable old house!


Weird tree seeds.


Sunflower.


Almost there. It looks like it is mostly happening on the south side of Harvey Milk Boulevard. 


Alright, so it looks like it is all happening along the sidewalk here. Okay!


The beer garden sponsored by the Neighborhood Bar. Which looks like it is new as of last year.


The current entertainment by KRCL was this woman playing a violin with some fun techno music. That is totally my jam!


The beer Garden was very small, and very cramped. Nobody could figure out where the line was or if it was just people standing around. I didn’t really like it. Plus, they ran out of beer. I am wondering if maybe they advertised more this year and were not expecting the crowd to be this big. I am hoping this is just growing pains and they make better decisions for next time.


The only “beer” they had left was Fisher Beer’s Lemonade Stand. It’s alright, but it is sour, and after a minute or so it’s too much. It has a pretty color though.


Oh! I did catch the artists name. Pfuzz. Here is her Instagram (outside link). I really enjoyed her music today.

Out of the Blue will be repainted this year, and this is what it will look like.

Here is the Fox 13 article about it (outside link). It looks like it will be unveiled on October 3rd with another festival, Whale Fest. Well shit, I guess there is another festival to check out!


Little scale model. 

I thought about walking up to the real one today, it’s only another 4.5 blocks east, but its over 100 degrees and that is slightly uphill. I suppose we could have driven, but meh. It didn’t happen today.


The little alley. The beer garden is that small area to the right with the umbrellas. Most of the vendors were in the alley to the right of that. Back here were some tables and a couple other vendors. If it was up to me, I would have made this entire alley the beer garden, and moved excess vendors out to the sidewalk. Kept the entertainment booth where it is, and maybe put the tables in the side alley.  I donno, it just was a lot of people crammed into a small area. 


Cute little hippy bus.

There was a water station on the other side which we both really appreciated with the hot weather.

After drinking some water we decided to wander along Harvey Milk Blvd and see if we could find some grub.


Some of the street side vendors.


801 Day sign.


The Milk Block. Originated 1942 Reimagined 2025.

Fun!

The, festivities appeared to end here at Denver Street, but we kept going for just a bit looking for food.


Random old chimney of some sort.


I love these old painted signs on the brick wall sides of building.


Previously Boyles Radio and TV Service, now Georges Architectural Salvage.


I love the flags.

Its a big double fuck you bigot Lee. We are all happy to see that hateful piece of shit didn't get re-elected.


I have always thought this was a neat looking building. I guess it is a retirement home.

Well, we made it to 500 East, where we saw Liberty Park, and decided to turn back. One of these days I will explore the 9-line Trail more.


Neat old sign on Georges. It reminds me of the neat signs you see on 25th Street in Ogden.


Neat art.


Denver St. I don’t know why, but I love the street names carved into the sidewalk. I guess I just take joy in the little things.


The Milk Block sign again.


I was absolutely starving, so we went back to the only food vendor, whom was serving empanadas, then we wandered over to the tables to eat it. yeah, I am not a fan. It was very doughy. I’m not sure if that is just how they are or if I got an undercooked one.


The façade on the coop reminds me of Art Deco architecture.

Then we decided to go have one more beer, but were told they were at capacity and it would be a few minutes. So.. we decided we were done and decided to wander back to the car.


The 9 Line Trail next to the sidewalk.


Looking back towards it. Oh fun, we found the building for Equality Utah.


Fun mural on Atomic Biscuit.


Weird seed pods again.


More neighborhood flags (PSP).


Harvey Milk Mural. I wish I had gotten a better picture of this.

“All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential” - Harvey Milk.

Imagine thinking this is offensive? Republicans are so fucking broken.


Had to get a picture of the Harvey Milk Blvd sign (PSP).


More flags (PSP).


Downtown (PSP). Starting to light up.


Sunset (PSP).


The South Salt Lake Water Tower again (PSP).


A South Salt Lake water tank (PSP).


A lovely sunset to end the day (PSP).

That was fun, but I think they are experiencing some growing pains. The beer garden was super small and very cramped. They ran out of beer. There was only one food vendor, aside from like 2 restaurants. I did enjoy the music, and getting a sneak peak at the new mural on Out of the Blue though. So, I hope they make some adjustments. I would come back, but if it is the same next year, probably not again. 7 out of 10 squirrels today.

As for difficulty, it is paved and pretty flat. DR2.

Dogs are allowed, but man, don’t do that to them. 

No comments: