Utah is a landlocked state, so we don’t really have a need for Lighthouses, be that as it may, we actually have a few! None of which are functional (that I am aware of) and only 3 that I am aware of that are on an actual body of water. This is another random interest of mine since visiting the coast. Lighthouses are neat. I was a little surprised to learn we had a few in our landlocked state.
This will be a quick stub article covering the ones that I have seen so far.
The Cedar City Lighthouse AKA Providence Lighthouse.
The most lighthousey of lighthouses I have found so far is down in Cedar City. I only have the one Passenger Seat Photography shot of it from back in 2015.
The 88 foot tall structure was built in 2000 as part of the Providence Center shopping development. At the time of construction is was promoted as the tallest inland lighthouse in the United States.. It was designed to catch peoples eyes, and never meant to guide ships. However it sure has inspired a whole host of urban legend!
Bear Lake Light Houses. The only lighthouses I have found that are actually on a body of water.
Bear lake is the 2nd largest freshwater lake in Utah, after Utah Lake. I have heard there are 3 lighthouses, but so far I have only found 2. Supposedly 2 of them actually provide lighthouse service? But I highly doubt that.
The Sunrise Resort Event Center.
Again, just decorative, but still pretty neat. From our 2019 adventure. This is smack dab in the middle of Garden City, attached to a big hotel.
Can't Find the Name Lighthouse:
(PSP Shot) This is on the main road somewhere north of Garden City. It appears to be part of a private residence. Also from the 2019 adventure. It looks pretty lighthousey.
Lighthouse Point
Image from google maps. This is on the south end of Garden City.
We have not seen this one in person yet, but next time I am up there I am definitely making it a point to see it! It is the 2nd most lighthousey lighthouse in Utah.
Bear Lake Aquatics Base
The Bear Lake Aquatics Base is a 25 foot lighthouse located on the east side of the lake. We have not seen this one ourselves yet either, but I found a google image.
Purely Decorative Lighthouses:
Lifehouse Performing Arts
This performing arts group found a cute way of integrating a pretty neat looking lighthouse into their building (PSP). We saw it randomly on our trip to Salem Lake. Just off of Utah 198.
Lighthouse in the Desert
A fun lighthouse monument in Spanish Fork. Also one we have yet to see ourselves, but is now on my list. Another photo I found on google.
Hogle Zoo Lighthouse
Fun little lighthouse in the Lighthouse Point Splash Zone. Its just a cute decorative slide.
Just Cute Art
The Lighthouse Lounge Sign.
A cute neon sign on Ogden’s 25th Street for the Lighthouse Lounge.
Alright, well, that is all of the lighthouses I have found in Utah so far. I will come back and add to the list if I should happen across anymore. Please let me know if there are any that I have missed.









No comments:
Post a Comment