Sunday, August 23, 2026

The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium

 The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium is a large aquarium located at the south end of the valley in Draper. It is not just fish! It features 7 habitats with animals from around the world. 

It was supposed to be thunderstorms on and off all day so we didn't want to be up in the mountains and get caught in it. So even though I would rather have gone for a hike, we decided to be safe and call it another Aquarium day. But no worries, we love the aquarium enough that we have memberships and come often.

Note: This is a quick breeze-through today to see some of our favorites. For more of a guide see a previous adventure.

Quick Details:

Length: Depends on how much exploring you do. We do about 2 miles or so generally.
Trail Type: Meander
Difficulty: It is 2 floors with ramps and elevators. DR2.
Elevation Gain: 1 floor, at least twice to see everything.
Restroom: Several.
Dogs? No. 
Other Info: Fee area starting at $18.95 for an adult day pass.

To Get Here:

Take I15 to exit 291, 12300 s. Go west to the first light and turn right on Lone Peak Parkway and it will be on the right very shortly.


I noticed an osprey on the way (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)).


The Claw as we pull into the parking lot (PSP).

The Trail:


I think this is a grackle.


The Claw again.


With the rest of the aquarium.


The Claw again.


Beautiful wing display that is leftover from the Lantern Festival.

As usual, we B-lined it to the Penguin Research Station.


The lower viewpoint.


Hello cutey!


Swimming.


Deep dive.


There was another baby born this year. They keep it in this pen because it can’t swim yet. I wish they would get a more clear pen so we could see it.


All the macaroni penguins are hanging out together.


Splashing around.


They got a new "iceberg" to play on.


Jumping off.


The pen again.


The macaroni's again. They appear to be molting. They all seem to be molting.

I love when they run.


Swimming.




Some of them were twisting and thrashing about in the water. I think they were trying to help the molting along? They were acting like it itches or something.. it probably does.


The iceberg again.


With a penguin.


Lots of penguins.


Then we moved over to Journey to South America.


Poison dart frogs.


Closer.


A different kind of dart frog.


Another frog.


More.


Yellow headed newt.


Toucan.

We couldn’t find the sloth today. It might be backstage, or it might have just found a good hiding spot today.


Tarantula.


Mata mata.


Anaconda.


Big turtles.

They have taken all the signage about the caiman down, so I am guessing he died. It has been a while since we saw him out. That’s a shame.


Electric eel.

Then we moved over to Discover Utah.


Fun faux arch.


Gopher snake.


Desert tortoise. 


The other one.


Both of them. We are guessing the divider is so they don't end up with more.


Wait... have these faux pictograms always been here? Neither of us had noticed them before now. But either way, nice touch.


The otters are having a little nap in this log. You can see one of their faces.


Another frog.


Tiger salamanders.

On to Ocean Explorer.


Megalodon jaw.


Anemones and sea stars in one of the tide pools.


Rays in the other tide pool.


Upside down jellies.


Mantis shrimp.

This is the first time we have seen it out of its den in the center.


The shark tube.


Shark.


The big tank.


Shark above.

Again, asshole parents just let their kids scream. In a glass echo chamber. So, we moved on. I didn’t need my ear drums anyway.


Sea turtle.


I wonder what they have attached to it’s shell?


Shark.

Now we head over to Expedition Asia, which is in the new Skaggs Learning Center building.


They are building a new koi pond exhibit outdoors between the buildings. You can see it through the windows, but cannot access it yet. I did not take note of when it is expected to open, but it looks pretty much done, so I imagine soon.


Another outdoor space that hasn’t opened yet.


A Complete Home

Adapted to Their Habitat

The cloud forests of Southeast Asia make the perfect home for the animals in this habitat. Nimble animals like Clouded Leopards and Binturongs expertly weave their way up, down, and across the thickly growing trees.

These animals have strong paws and long tails. This helps them climb and balance on swaying branches. On the forest floor, Clouded Leopards use their agility and strength to ambush prey and Binturongs use their claws to forage for insects, fish, and rodents.

Wellbeing in This Home

Binturongs and Clouded Leopards use their natural adaptations and skills to move through this habitat. There are open areas that offer space to run and leap. There are vertical spaces like tall trees for the animals to climb and leave their scents.

There is water for swimming, drinking, and fishing. Every element of the habitat supports the animals growth, development, and needs.

A Shared Space

This habitat offers enriching sensory experiences to the animals who use it. Binturongs and Clouded Leopards take turns using this space. Though the two species never meet directly in this habitat, they leave behind their own unique scents and markings. This indirect interaction mimics the balance and tension between animals sharing a habitat in the wild.”

~~~

It was starting to sound like they were going to share the space and I was wondering like.. wouldn’t the leopards eat the binturongs? But eventually the sign says they will not share the space at the same time. So I imagine that yes the leopards would eat the binturongs if they could, but won’t be given the chance. Phew! haha.

I also didn’t see anything about when this exhibit will open. It looks pretty close to done as well, but we are nearing the end of the warm season… so if it doesn’t open soon, I would imagine it won’t be until next spring.


Python. This is the first time we have seen him in this habitat.


Skink.


Tree kangaroo.


Another turtle. They have a lot of turtles! At least one in each habitat except for Antarctic, and the penguins.

Sadly, the Asian short-clawed otters were not out. But they did have an employee out that had a river otter pelt you could feel. They are soft!


Heading up to the 2nd floor.

We couldn't see the binturongs today either.


Vine snake.


The claw outside.


Random loose dove. I’m not sure if it is supposed to be in here, or if he just managed to get in. They are from Eurasia, but they were introduced to America and are quite common here now as well.


One of the clouded leopards.


Komodo dragon.


The tree kangaroo again.


Again.


Again.


Nomming on some leaves.


He’s so cute!.


Still nomming.


The main lobby.

Well, we have seen most of it. We have a little more time to visit our favorites. So, back into Discover Utah.


Oh yay, the river otters are active.




Swimming about.



Oh neat! They are letting them both out at the same time now. I guess they have accepted each other.


Up out of the water.


Then outside to play in the river.



With snacks.




Rolling and spinning around.



These guys don’t sit still for very long.

Then a quick stop into Antarctic Explorer on our way to the Penguin Research Station.


Moon jellies.



Closer.


I forget what kind of jellies these are.


There used to be sea nettles here, but it looks like they replaced them with more moon jellies. I seem to recall the tank being empty last time we were here.


The lower penguin viewpoint.


They appear to have the penguin zoomies.


Yay! they are doing the "dolphin leaps".


The upper view area.


Penguin zoomies!


Not the best shot, but I caught one jumping out.


A little better. See, "dolphin jump".


Zooming around.


Another jump.

Quick video, which shows the “dolphin jumps” a little better.


The baby pen.


You can kind of see its shape through the pen.


2 of these must be the parents, I’m not sure why the others are hovering around too. But I guess they are social.


One of last years babies. They have different armbands than the rest of the gentoos.


Again.


I have never seen them do this before! There must be something interesting in the seam there.


Running.


The baby pen and the group of macaronis.


More swimmers and the little faux iceberg again.


Thrashing about.


This little guy is at it again. I wonder what he found? Or if he/she is anything like my dog, they found some tiny bit of food once, and now have to check everyday.


This was where the Expedition Asia exhibit was originally located. Now it says Enhancement Loading. I wonder what they will put in here.

We are kind of hoping that maybe they will expand the penguin habitat, but I guess we will see.


The Claw. We still have a couple minutes before closing so we decided to do a quick explore around the Rio Tinto Kennecott Plaza.


Heading underneath.


Up on the EECO Stage underneath the claw.


Directly underneath. I never noticed the disco ball before.


Again.


Storm clouds.


The original main building.


The new Skaggs Learning Center.


Underneath again.


The adorable moray eel drinking fountain. Similar to the lion fountains at Hogle Zoo.


Inside.


Getting a drink. It is a little intimidating being that close to the sharp shiny teeth!



The south side of The Claw.


One of the legs.


The west side.


Panoramic showing the stage below it. They hold summer concerts out here, so far we have not been to one.


More centered.


Another panoramic.


The stage below.

Alright, we need to get our butts going, we only have a couple minutes left before they close. I don't want to be that guy that they have to shoo out.


From the parking lot.


Fun clouds (PSP).


From the freeway (PSP).

Well that was fun as always. We really enjoy coming to see the penguins and otters. It started off quite a bit busy, but started to thin out towards the end. And again, I love the new Expedition Asia habitat with the much roomier enclosures for the animals. 8 out of 10 squirrels.

As for difficulty, it is a modern building with 2 stories with ramps and elevators. DR2

Dogs are not allowed, so be sure to leave Fido home.

No comments: