Saturday, April 13, 2019

Legacy Parkway: Glovers Ln to State St Loop With Rails To Trails

The Legacy Parkway Trail is a 14 mile paved pathway from Farmington down through North Salt Lake. We have slowly been making our way up it this winter on days that are not ideal hiking days. Today was pretty nice actually, but it was just me again today. When I do decide to go out alone, I tend to stick to these easy, more populated trails to help avoid an incident. So, I decided to continue my goal of completing the Legacy Parkway Trail.

Continuing from where I left off last time at Glovers Ln. This time continuing up north. I played around on google maps and discovered I could make a loop using Farmington Creek Fairgrounds Section and the Rails To Trails Trail back. With my goal of completing the Legacy Parkway Trail this seems a little counter intuitive, but I do like to do loops if I have the option over out and back. Plus it only added a little bit extra (about .7 of a mile).



Previous Sections:

South end where it connects to the Jordan River Parkway to Center Street.
Center St. To 2425 S Segment.
2425 S to 5th south
5th S to Mill Creek,
a loop starting at Mill Creek
Pages Lane to Birnam Woods loop.
Birnam Woods to mile marker 9.5
Glovers Ln to mile marker 9.5

Quick Details:

Length: Total loop: 3.02 miles. I did about 1.17 Miles on the parkway, .69 on Farmington Creek, .69 on Rails to Trails and .47 on Glovers Ln back to where I parked. You can do 2.34 out and back, or continue to the end for and additional mile or so.
Trail Type: Loop. Out and back, or point to point options.
Difficulty: DR2. Paved, flat.
Elevation Gain: About 20 feet.
Restroom: Not at either trailhead.
Dogs? Yes, leashed.
Other Info: This is not one of the official Legacy Parkway Trailheads. However it is signed, and has direct access, and I did not see anything that would prohibit parking on the side of the road. If you prefer, the next trailhead is at 250 S 450 w The loop mileage will stay the same, just start and end at a different spot.

To Get Here:From NB i15 take exit 322. Take the right fork on the exit towards 200 w. Take the very first right onto Frontage road. Take that to the stop sign on Glovers Lane and turn right. Take Glovers Ln over the bridge and look for trail sign on the right. If you hit the light you went to far.

The Trail:





The trailhead is just east of Farmington High School next to the bus storage.



Last time I went right, so today I will go left and continue along northwards.



Davis Creek Canyon above. You can see Indian Annie Rock pretty good from down here.



Steed Canyon. Still haven’t explored that one much yet.



I had a feeling I wouldn’t like this part of the trail as much. It is squeezed between a lot of houses, and Legacy Parkway. The entire trail is by the parkway, but it is particularly close here.



Little better view of Indian Annie Rock in Davis Canyon.



First view of Farmington Canyon.



The Legacy Parkway signs.



Mile Marker 11.



The other side of the parkway signs. Little better view.



The snow line is a little higher than expected, considering we got snowed on the day before yesterday.



These little benches are scattered all along the trail. If they are a certain distance apart, I haven’t noticed, but I do know they are plentiful.



The Farmington City Trailhead, conveniently next to MM 11.5.



The sign at this one talks about commuter options and how the Parkway Trail is an excellent commute option that helps takes cars off the road. I’d be curious how many people commute to work on this path. I am sure some people do, but still curious.



Little better view of Farmington Canyon.



I don’t think this is normally a little pond but its cute.



Approaching State St.



1.17 miles later, here you have a couple options. You can continue to the end of the Legacy Parkway, turn back, or go left to connect to Farmington Creek and do a loop.



I went left. This little connector trail will connect you to the Farmington Creek Trail. Since it generally parallels it, I included it in the mileage for it.



This will put you in the city for a minute.



About .16 miles later you will reach Farmington Creek. You shouldn’t miss it, but if you hit the Farmington City Court, you went too far. There is a trail on either side of the creek. The NW side is signed, the SE trail is not, but both will get you to the same place, I chose the first, SE side.



Farmington Creek. We actually did this segment of the Farmington Creek Trail not too long ago.



It’s quite lovely.



little waterfall.



Fun with puddles.





Rapids and calm. General reminder this time of year, be very careful around our streams. Even the mostly calm Farmington Creek can be dangerous. Keep your dogs close.



With this big open field I can see the mountains at the south end of the valley.



As well as a better view of Steed and Davis Canyons.



Panoramic of the mountains above.



The trees are starting to bud and green up. Spring is trying to come!



Okay, this is a little confusing here. The Denver And Rio Grand Rail Trail (AKA Rails to Trails Trail) is the 2nd one. The 1st trail is not on the map yet, and I am not 100% sure where it goes. I would guess it connects back somewhere though.



If the trail you are connecting to does not cross Farmington Creek, it’s not the right one.



Also, the Rails to Trails Trail has the striped divider line. The other one does not (at least at the moment).

This is about .69 miles from the Legacy Parkway Trail.



Steed and Davis Canyons again.



Farmington Canyon again, and Lagoon. I should have taken another panoramic here.



Little closer look at Davis Canyon. You can see Indian Annie Rock, and also how narrow and steep that canyon is. No wonder that trail is so steep and tough!



This trail crosses a couple roads.



It also passes though farm country.



You can also see the Freedom Hills Switchbacks here.



Tree full of birds!



After the farm section you reach a residential section and, like some other nearby trails, it just feels a little bit intrusive, but eh, still a good walk.



Couple random connector trails that allow residents whose backyards are not against the trail, to access it as well.



Farmington High School is a large, colorful indicator that you are nearly to Glovers Ln.



Speaking of which, here we are, at just .69 (total of 2.55) miles later. It also has a sign so you know where you are.



Now I have .47 miles left along Glovers Ln back to where I parked. I didn’t particularly like walking down the road, but at least there is a sidewalk.



Farmington High School was just recently completed. I have enjoyed watching it be built over the years exploring in this area frequently. I really like the building. Not just another plain brick box.



I see they decided to keep the Phoenix mascot. Which is actually pretty cool. If you don’t know, there was some controversy as technically the plural is Phoenixes... which sounds a little dirty.



The sign.



Back to the trailhead.



Bonus Ringed Neck Pheasant from my totally questionable backroad way back decision.

So far, that was probably my least favorite section of both the Legacy Parkway Trail and the Rails to Trails Trail. The first because it is so close to the highway and backyards going with a 4. The later because it was right behind peoples backyards going with a 5. But the Farmington Creek Section was lovely still kind of nice going with a 6. So we’ll go with an overall 5 squirrels today.



As for difficulty, its paved the entire way, and almost completely flat. DR2. It’s easy enough that I totally forgot to change into my hiking shoes, and didn’t have a problem in my normal slip ons.

Dogs are allowed on all trails, leashed. Please clean up after your furry friends.






No comments: