Sunday, May 5, 2024

Rockwell The Trail Snake

 Rockwell the Trail Snake is a fun little art project that was started by a Draper mom, Kelsee Sellers and her 6 year old daughter, Liberty. She painted a rock to look like a snakehead, and added some rocks behind it. She then added a sign saying: "Help me grow! Add a painted rock and see how long I can get" and before long the snake grew to an astounding over 4000 rocks long snake created by the local community! I am not normally a fan of this kind of art, but seeing how the whole community came together to create this incredible thing, I think it is pretty cool. I can't find when it was started, but considering it was first moved in July 2023, and it wasn't here in January 2022 I would imagine sometime between then.

With a stupid May snow storm, we spent most of the day at the aquarium, but when we finished up there there was just a slight drizzle so we thought we would come see the snake before he gets moved. I figured it was short enough that we could run back to the car if it got much worse.

Quick Details:

Length: It is about 8/10 of a mile loop returning on the Porter Rockwell Trail.
Trail Type: Loop, or out and back.
Difficulty: DR3. It is fairly flat and pretty easy.
Elevation Gain: About 30 feet.
Restroom: There are restrooms in Draper City Park.
Dogs? Yes, Leashed. Please clean up after your furry friends.
Other Info: Rockwell is moving soon, also you will be technically trespassing.

To Get Here:

As I mentioned Rockwell is going to be moved, possibly as soon as tomorrow. But he is currently next to the Porter Rockwell Trail just east of Draper City Park.

 From i15 take the 123rd south exit in Draper, head east. Turn right on 13th east go through the roundabout and take the first right turn right afterwards (not the business, but Constitution Ave.). Then immediate a left for the Draper City Park. The trail starts on the east end of the parking lot, crossing back over 1300 east.

The Trail:

After you cross 13th east, along the Porter Rockwell Trail, just to the left is the inactive train line where Rockwell currently resides. As I understand it, he was originally on the actual trail before but Draper evicted them stating if they allowed this, they had to allow everything. So, they moved him over to the inactive train line.


A sign celebrating his departure.

Unfortunately, and fortunately at the same time UTA, who owns the inactive train tracks decided inactive or not, it is a bit of a safety hazard. Instead of just evicting it, they found a new home at the Utah Arts Center. I might go see it there too one day, but I am happy I got a chance to see it out in the wild. However I agree with UTA that it is unsafe. They didn’t say this, but I think it is also not a good idea to encourage children to play on train tracks.


Rockwell’s Tail. So we ended up doing it tail to head.


Colorful rocks as far as the eye can see.


Technically, you are trespassing. However UTA only recently added these signs, and I imagine it is more of a covering their ass kind of thing since Rockwell became so popular.


Fun painted rocks. Some have inspirational quotes or messages. "The best views come after the hardest climbs." and "Keep searching for the colors when everything turns grey".



"Porkypine" snort.


I didn’t take a picture of every rock, just some that I thought were neat, but I did end up taking a lot more pictures of them than I realized.


Cookie Monster and Elmo. Cute.


It looks like the rocks end not too far ahead.. what gives?


Amara. I imagine that is somebody’s name.


I can’t quite make out what it says, but I love the rainbow.


Monkey!


More rocks.



"Do small thigs with great love".


Then there is a large gap. I am glad we kept going because it picks up again. I am not 100% sure, but it seems at some point they started building the tail, and hoping to connect to the main snake eventually. Unfortunately, that does not seem like it is going to happen before it is moved.


Long gap.


UTA trying to manage to the issue.

I am kind of torn on this. I like that the community has come together to create this mind blowingly large art piece, but at the same time I find it be be kind of littering. In the end, it definitely is not as horrible as The Fairy Forest. I will throw in my two cents here though. I think people should be cautious about starting projects like this, and encouraging others to join in due to the potential to grow exponentially before eventually becoming a nuisance, like the Fairy Forest.  I mean, if UTA did not evict it, where would it have ended? Okay, sorry, on to the rocks.


More tracks.


I am glad we kept going. Before long we picked up the actual tail of Rockwell. 

I love that they named him Rockwell. A fun little double entendre of being on the Porter Rockwell Trail, and being a snake made up of rocks.


Fun rocks.


Fox 13 even added a rock. Seeing as that is how I learned of this little thing, I thought it was fitting.

Their article here (outside link)


Fried egg.


"Love ya slow much". Hah! Some of them are so creative. I love it.


Man! This thing is so long!



More rocks.


I found it a little ironic that even though UTA wants it removed, they added a stone as well.


Still going. Wow.


Sea turtle.


I like the skeleton.


“You are braver than you believe, Stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” with a cute pooh bear.


Oscar the grouch!


This one might be an ad but it is pretty.


Well of course I am gonna share the Homer!


“Things end but memories last forever”.


Cute butterfly that says “You are loved”, and a fun polar bear.


Cute rainbow, and I was particularly tickled by the cloud that says “I like peeing on people” LOL.


Unicorn.


Twin stones ‘Shel Lolo” I imagine there is a deeper meaning here. Possibly a couple or best friends?


M&M’s


Think Celestial.


It just keeps going!


“You are my sunshine” Awwww.


“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney".


More cute ones.


Shamrock, leprechaun, rainbow, and Tweety. Must have been near St. Patrick's day.


3600. I am an idiot and my first thought was maybe this was elevation? But Salt Lake is over 4000 feet. Eventually I figured out it was the rock count from the head.


Audrey.


Before long we reached 3500.


More fun ones.


It keeps going. Seriously, this is impressive.


Fun.


3300.


Grinch.


Hobbes! “Oh the places you’ll go”.


Cute pumpkin and frog.


Cute turkey.


Adorable bat.


Dragonfly.


“I always come back” and a fun rainbow.


Frankenstein.


Gnome.


I had to get closer to the shrimp cause it made be laugh. “You are shrimply the best better than all the rest!” lol.


3100.


Tom and Jerry.


Still a ways to go.


Some of the holidays seem to mixed around a little bit. I assume that because people painted rocks and didn’t get around to bringing them by immediately. Or possibly the kind of people that decorate early... or a combination of the two.


A couple pet memorials. Sad.


3000!!! That was a big milestone so they painted it red. Plus a cute little crocodile.


Its kind of sad they had to say this. However, that is the risk you take with this kind of “art”. If you leave it out in public it might be taken.


“Come rock with me”.


I really like this one. I believe it is the apple from Snow White.


2900.


“Oh whale” lol and "Draper Dragons". That appears to be for Draper Elementary.


2800.


A zebra and “Stay Positive”.


Some butterflies.


More cute ones.


A spider, a merman, and an alien. I like the merman.


2700 and a skull.


“Jedi V Sith” and “Lean to get in touch with the silence within yourself - Elizabeth Kubler-Ross" and a fun flower.


I know this cartoon but can’t place it.


“I beg your Parton?” lol.


A jack o lantern and some cute little owls.


2600.


More fun.


The Rolling Stones lips. That kind of ironic lol. The some fun quotes: “I am the master of my fate… I am the captain of my soul.” and “Where are we going… and why am I in a handbasket?”.


“One day at a time” and “9.11 We will never forget”.


More fun.


2500 and a fun Jack o lantern.


More fun.


A fun owl, spider, cat, flame, and a soot sprite?


Utah State.


Almost missed the 2400 rock.


And on it goes.


2300.


A sad broken M&M.


“Be the reason someone smiles today”, sunflower, sun, “Be kind”. I love all the positive quotes.


“Rock n Yard”.


“Help me grow, how far can I go?”


Cute bumblebees.


2200.


“Life is tough but so are you” and a fun cat.


“A little kindness can change the world”.


2100 and “Shell yeah”.


It just keeps going.


Nemo.


2000! Another big milestone, so it is also red.


“Share your favorites #rockwellthesnake”.


“Be a nice human” Real Salt Lake and “Have courage and be kind”.


1800.


It looks like it never ends.


💓 Draper and LHS 23-24. Which could be Layton High School, Lehi HS or Logan HS.


“Rocks rock” and another Nemo.


“Yee haw!”


1700.


“Think happy thoughts”.


Cute little frog.


I think I can just make out the end.


Another Frankenstein, UVU, and “The worlds a better place with you in it”.


1600.


A hamburger rock.


Cute.


A minion.


Mountains.


1500.


A lady bug and “Wishing you a happy day”.


“Be kind. Don’t take others artwork”.


More rocks.


1400.


A bigger rock “I ate too much!”


1300.


“No rain, no flowers”.


“Don’t stress, Do your best, forget the rest” and “Yabba dabba doo!”


1200.


More fun.


Draper rocks!


Soccer and “I lava you”.


A shark, a walrus, “Love from Mississippi” (I love that we had an out of state person let us know they were here), and a fried egg.


1100. Man, I took way too many pictures of this thing, but it is SOOOO BIG!


Mermaid and a cute penguin!


“Don’t take others art, leave for everyone!”


Cuteness.


“If you didn’t paint it, don’t take it!” Again, that sucks, but it is the risk you take leaving art out in public like this.


1000! Phew, almost to the end.


Yup, I can definitely see the end now.


This sign blew down and Landis was trying to stand it up again. it says: “You rock, let’s keep growing”.


“1847” and a neat shark.


900.


More cuteness.


“Brocc on!”


“Please stop stealing others. It’s not yours to take”. Again, sorry, but you left it here, it’s kind of free game. I imagine they will probably be safer at their new home at the Utah Arts Center.


800! and “Cancer sucks”, “Be the match” and “Trust the process”.


More cuteness.


U State, a neat whale, and a fun skull.


“Don't stop believing” and “you make me hap-pea”. cute.


700 “can we get 1000?” Yes you did, and quite a bit more than that!


“Think happy, be happy”.


KSL 5 left a rock. Here is their article (outside link). It appears the snake was moved from the Porter Rockwell Trail onto these inactive tracks in July of 2023. Also, there are at least 2 more rock snakes to be found.


600.


“Kindness rocks. Be yourself” and a fun butterfly.


“Let the rocks be for all to see”, the U , “Just keep swimming”, and Heeeere’s Johnny!"


500.


Nearing the end.


2 KUTV has a rock as well. Here is their article (outside link). Also about it’s eviction from the Porter Rockwell Trail.


“All one can do is the next right thing”.


400.


Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson on a rock. Snort.


More fun.


“Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game - Babe Ruth” and “Help me get to the park, add to me” They almost made it.


300, and "Just be nice".


Another apple from snow white.


Fun shark, ladybug, and Jack o lantern.


Pikachu!


“Add rocks and help me grow!!! Lets see how long I can get!”


200.


Almost to the end.


More fun, and a Betty Boop!


"Be happy".


“No mistakes, just happy accidents - Bob Ross”.


“Please do not take the rocks”.


100.


“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine” and a cute zebra.


Delicate Arch and “Have a great day”.


Hand prints.


We finally reach Rockwells Head! Dang, this is quite impressive!


Looking down the line.


With some signs.


Repeat of the sign that is on the other end.


Main sign.

I didn’t think to fully track it, but we went about a half mile. I would guess that the main section of Rockwell is probably close to about 3/10ths of a mile.


The head again.


The inactive line continues.


Looking down the line again.


There is a zebra on that farm!


Zebra with a zebra print rock.


They also have an emu.


We decided to return via the Porter Rockwell Trail. It’s tough walking on train tracks.



It is starting the green up in here.


You can see Rockwell on the other side of the fence. So, not too far from his original home.


More pretty trees.


Giant freaking worm.


More trees.


This sign points to an equestrian route that appears to have been fenced over.


More of Rockwell.


More trees.


Nearing the end. It’s amazing how much faster you can walk on cement vs train tracks. Or and I suppose it helps to not take a million pictures along the way too.


Trail rules.


We made it back to Draper City Park.


One of only a handful of pedestrian covered bridges I have found in the valley.


The Tree of Light AKA The Tree of Life.

On the way out we passed a bar called Donkey Tails Cantina. We decided that would be a great spot to end our Cinco De Mayo. And it was!


Fresh snow on the mountains (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)).


Fun clouds and a mild sunset on the other side of the valley (PSP).

Well, that ended up being a little cooler than I anticipated! I wish I had thought to paint my own rock to add to him. It really is impressive to see the community come together and create something so impressive. It did end up being a good safe option to do at the end of the storm. Plus with the drizzle remaining we didn’t really see anybody else. Which is a plus. So, for random art I am going to go with 7 out of 10 squirrels. However, I think I am going to remove a few squirrels due to the potential explosion of growth that was halted by UTA. I find it a little less offensive than the Fairy Forest since it is down in the city, but it still could have gotten as bad. So I am lowering it down to a 3.


As for difficulty, it is a little tough walking along train tracks, but it was pretty flat. DR3.

Dogs are allowed, but should remain leashed at all times. Please clean up after your furry friends.

No comments: