Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Golden Spike National Historic Site.

 

The weather finally warmed up enough to actually go out and do some adventuring. I have for a very long time now wanted to see the Spiral Jetty, and due to us being at almost 200% snow pack, I am rather concerned it is going to re-submerge and I am going to miss being able to walk along it.

Now the Spiral Jetty is just a bit past the Golden Spike National Historic Site so we thought, we’re here lets check it out.

The park fee is $7.00 a carload. Not terrible, except there really isn’t that much to do here. Frankly it is a gift shop with a few exhibits, and a half hourly “show”. But it is historical.

DSC_0977

DSC_0978

This is the Jupiter.

After wandering around for a few minutes, reading all the signs etc. I just could not locate THE golden spike. So I finally asked a ranger. I was informed the actual golden spike is in a Museum somewhere. So I asked why there wasn’t a replica? His response, seriously (kind of laughing even) “well someone would steal it.” Ok Ranger Derp I didn’t think you would put another actual gold spike where it could be stolen, but maybe yall could take 5 seconds to spray paint a gold coat on the spike representing the original placement? yes? no?

Rant aside, the ranger did point out a plaque that was placed on the plank where the original golden spike was located.

DSC_0983

DSC_0989

And a replica inside the actual museum.

We did not get to see the meeting of the trains show but we did get to watch the Jupiter back up and go across while the ranger explained some of the historical stuff. Including the original, still used to the day whistle signal they use when they come upon a highway 2 long, 1 short, 1 long. We are nerdy enough that we’re going to listen for it next time we are near a train.

DSC_0998

DSC_0002

DSC_0004

It was cool, I like trains I have the young boy nostalgia for trains. I wish that trains did not become obsolete so soon. We spent so much time building the system and much of it is not used anymore.

I also enjoyed seeing some of the history of Midlake Station. Did you know there was a train station in the middle of the Great Salt Lake? I discovered this randomly after my previous hike when I discovered the remains of that original line. Fascinating really the determination and ingenuity of the early 1900’s American.

Overall I would rank this at 5 out of 10 squirrels. It is really in the middle of nowhere, there is a fee, and there really isn’t much to do. Honestly I would say don’t waste your time, unless you plan on continuing on to the Spiral Jetty. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I would not have been happy if I drove all that way just for that.

All was not lost, the day continued as we ventured out to the Spiral Jetty.

squirrels 5

No comments: