Monday, June 13, 2011

Parleys Trail - (Lower Loop Around Suicide Rock)

 

I met up with my friend Monica and her son Didi to do some hiking. She recently moved into the area around Parleys Canyon and suggested we try out the trail here.

To get to the trailhead take i215 to the 3300 south exit, head east on 3300 then turn left on Wasatch BLVD. Take that about .03 miles to the end where there is a little parking lot. Park and take the paved trail down. There is another trail that goes up, Grandeur Peak I believe.

Click here to input your current location and get directions.

DSC_0232

View from the trail head.

Parleys canyon is were i80 goes from Salt Lake east, and connects to i215. As you can see there is a lot of freeway in the area. Honestly I thought that would make this hike non enjoyable, however I was wrong.

DSC_0239

View up the canyon after crossing the bridge over i80.

DSC_0381

said bridge.

DSC_0380

This bridge across i215 leads to Parleys Historic Park which is also nice, but a little bit more crowded. You want to keep to the left of this for this trail. Tip: about 30 feet past this there is a section of fence that has been curled up and you can climb under it. The trail is a bit steeper, but you can skip a lot of the bike path and get a more direct route to Suicide Rock. We had a young child with us so we opted not to do that this time.

DSC_0241

I really enjoyed some of the flowers this hike. Particularly these pretty purple ones.

DSC_0246

This is Suicide Rock. One of the ‘as long as I have known of its existence, has been a popular spray painting place.’ More on this through the post.

DSC_0376

Info Plaque – Cant read the full text anymore but I can read the relevant bit: “For hundreds of years it stood as a watch tower for the Indians until, as the story goes, an Indian maiden upon learning of the death of her brave, leapt from the top to her death on the rocks below, giving it the name of Suicide Rock. Now it is a billboard for the youth who dare to climb its heights with a paint brush or spray can.”

DSC_0249

Here it is from the north end, when the trail goes from paved to non paved.

DSC_0252

A little ways down the trail we found this pile of spray paint cans and other garbage. I don’t know if this is a pile gathered by a group working on cleaning up the park, or if it has become the dump off. I am thinking the former though. Dear teenagers: I don’t so much mind you tagging THIS particular piece of nature, but please, please, take your garbage with you!!

DSC_0254

Here is where the stream goes under i215. Monica tells me people tube down it, but the thought of that fills me with more terror than anything I can think of.

DSC_0256DSC_0257 DSC_0281 DSC_0295

Some more flowers.

DSC_0274

I like the monkeys.

DSC_0280

Here is a side trail that goes off the main loop around Suicide Rock. We decided to go up a little ways and see what was up here.

DSC_0288 DSC_0289

We came upon this cute little pond.

We decided not to go too far up today, and maybe return again when we didn’t have a little one en-tow. Upon returning home and looking at Google maps, I don’t think it goes very far in, but still would be worth going all the way to see what is up there. We returned to the loop to this bridge across the stream.

 DSC_0299

Look at how much the water is raging! This is normally a very calm stream.

DSC_0304

Nice little valley. This is where the aforementioned shortcut lets out that you can cut a lot of the hike and bike trail out by going this way, but it is a little more steep. Shortly after I took this, while helping Monica look for lizards I looked up to see a coyote or fox halfway up the trail looking right at me. By the time I got my camera up it was gone. I tried to follow it up to see if I could get him, but he was gone. :(

DSC_0314 DSC_0315

A group had climbed to the top of Suicide Rock. We also wanted to do this but had a little one with us. Next time.

DSC_0319DSC_0320 DSC_0321

Unknown structure with interesting graffiti.

DSC_0330

The stream split off and had a slower moving section here. Forgot my ND Filter. That would have been a cool shot.

DSC_0333 DSC_0335

And now we are back to where the stream goes under i215.

DSC_0341

I think this is my favorite wildflower image I have ever taken. Everything is just perfect from the pretty flower in the foreground, to the out of focus ones in the background.

DSC_0348

I still just cannot get over how green the mountains are this late in the year. And I love the contrasting red sand.

While tracking a hawk and trying to get its picture guess what I should suddenly spot down the trail?

 DSC_0349 Copy of DSC_0349 Copy of DSC_0351 Copy of DSC_0358

The fox/coyote (still unsure but now am leaning toward coyote because of the size) returned. Monica thought it was following us, I however thought it was returning to its den when we came across his path and then he was just waiting for us to finally get out of the way so he could continue with where he was going. Sorry for the terrible zoom jobs, didn’t have my telephoto and he wasn’t coming any closer to us.

DSC_0369

Dove

DSC_0373

Another flower.

DSC_0389

Almost back to the parking lot we spot this gopher snake making its way across the bike path. (I love how it happened to be right on the “slow” sign.)

DSC_0390

Monica decided to catch it.

DSC_0397

After playing with it for a minute we let it go on the side he was going for, across the barrier. Just in time I might add, as a few seconds later a herd of teenagers started heading down. I’d like to say we saved the poor guy. Although Didi was very sad that we let “my snake” go.

All in all I was surprisingly very thrilled with this trail. Saw tons of wildlife, great flowers, and it was super easy. We had a 2 year old with us who walked the whole thing by himself (very limited carrying) so I would rate it as easy. The first part is paved as a bike trail, and we did come across quite a few bikers, but they all seemed to follow the general rule. Like traffic, you stay to the right. People passing from the opposite direction do so from your left. Bikers going faster than you, pass on the left. If all people could remember this simple rule, we can all enjoy the multi-purpose trail happily.

image

Google map of the area:

image

General path we took in purple. Shortcut I mentioned in blue.

Final rating: 8 out of 10 squirrels. Even with the close proximity to the freeways!

squirrels 8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

neat!