Monday, May 14, 2012

Arches 2012 Day 1 and 2.1: Drive Down and The Park Pt. 1 South End


We got a bit of a late start on our first trip of the spring. Both in time of year, but also time of day. We left just as rush hour traffic started, which delayed us arriving even more.

DSC_0015 

Small windmill farm at the base of Spanish Fork Canyon. (DBP Album)

DSC_0019 

DSC_0021 

DSC_0025

Spanish Fork Canyon has a large assortment of colors and landscapes. Really rather pretty. (DBP Album)

DSC_0030

According to the atlas I was using to guide us there, there is a peak named Indian Head Peak, I assumed this was it I see a face at the top there. However upon the return trip it did not seem to match the correct spot on the map. Meh, either way I think it’s cool.

DSC_0041  

The almost full moon came up quite a while before the sun went down.

DSC_0042 

DSC_0047

DSC_0048 

I loved the glow coming off the east horizon while the sun set in the west. Either all the red rock reflecting the light, or all the dust picked up by the wind, or a combination must cause this. Either way it’s pretty cool! (DBP Album)

After the long drive we finally arrive. We knew Arches was full but knew there were various other camp grounds we could look into, so we pushed on to the town of Moab. Wow. Moab is not at all like what I expected. The phrase tourist trap doesn’t even begin to describe it! I don’t know why I expected different, any town outside a popular national park seems to be the same thing, I guess it just kind of shocked me with how many people were there.

IMG_1536 

I did get a shot of this cool mural on the side of Black Spider Bikes.

It was after 10 PM, after a futile hunt for an open BLM run campground we resigned to the fact that we were stuck paying the extra money for a private run ground. The one we found was full but had decided to capitalize on a busy weekend, and had opened up their group site, and playground for open camping. Didn’t sound too enticing, but we looked, found a quiet corner to ourselves and decided well, we don’t really have much of an option.

It was weird, it kind of felt like we were camped with a bunch of hippies at some major concert/festival type thing. But ultimately, it turned out to be pretty cool. We’re night owls, we were up just about until the loudest partiers had decided to go to bed themselves. And as much as it sucked at the moment, the typical morning campers getting up and getting going for the day got us up early enough to really get a full day of exploring in, so that turned into a win as well.

IMG_1537 

IMG_1538 

Our crowded “hippy commune” lol.

IMG_1539 

The view wasn’t bad though.

Day 2 Pt. 1 The Park! South End.

DSC_0053

We got a rather early start for us today, and drove the mile or so north into Arches National Park.

DSC_0054

The visitor center has this cool statue up front. I don’t think I saw a single animal represented here.

 DSC_0052

You can’t see it in this shot, but this shows the drive up into the park (The road is on the other side of the white rocks). You have to climb up to the top of the plateau to actually get into the park. I don’t know why but this short trip up kind of made me nervous.

First stop was Park Avenue. Ok this is silly, but due to the name, I assumed this was a side drive. Turns out it is a 1 mile hike. If you have someone with you who doesn’t want to, or cant, hike, have them meet you at the other side. Otherwise it turns into a 2 mile hike, but it is really cool to do.

DSC_0060

It looks like that rock could tumble off at any moment.

 DSC_0063

DSC_0066

View from the south end.

DSC_0069

Pretty flowers.

DSC_0071

DSC_0072

DSC_0073

These piles of rocks were everywhere, I thought it was just people stacking rocks. After 5 or 6 the novelty ran out, I thought everybody just wanted to have their own little pile. Turns out, this is intentional and if I had read the sign on the way in, rather than the way out I would have known these are called cairns and are designed to let you know you are still on the trail.

Public service announcement: It is a really good idea to read the signs BEFORE you hike down the trail. Luckily we didn’t stray and get lost, but that really startled me.

DSC_0079

DSC_0087  

LIZARD!!!

DSC_0088

Alone
DSC_0091

DSC_0095

DSC_0093

As I was taking this picture, another photographer to my right asked: “if you were going to put a name to it, what would it be?”
Me: “Uh… Desert sunflower I spose?”
Dude: RudbeckiaMe: “O wow, cool thanks! I appreciate that.”
Dude: “I only know because the lady before you told me.”
Me: “Cool! actually I really appreciate that, I love random knowledge! Thanks!”
A few steps down the trail.Landis: “Are you going to remember that?”
Me: :No. Well, no I take that back, probably. My brain stores all sorts of useless facts.”
yea, totally forgot it. Darn.

Luckily Landis recorded it, looking at google images seems about right, but I am neither confirming or denying it at the moment.

DSC_0097

DSC_0103

They call these potholes. If you see one, don’t disturb it. Vital unique desert life thrive in these.

DSC_0104

DSC_0105

Another pretty desert flower

DSC_0107

DSC_0112

DSC_0114

DSC_0126

Fun desert texture.

DSC_0116

DSC_0119

DSC_0120

DSC_0123

DSC_0133

The Three Gossips.

DSC_0139

DSC_0140

I believe this is Courthouse Towers.

DSC_0145

The Three Gossips and a window.

This is the other end of the trail where if you have another rider to pick you up you are done. Otherwise you turn back.

DSC_0159

DSC_0160

DSC_0161

DSC_0163

More texture.

DSC_0174

South end from the north.

DSC_0176

DSC_0178

Flowers!

DSC_0195

Stairs up.

Overall this is an awesome little hike. No real arches but a lot of fun desert scenery.

DSC_0198

Lasal Mountains viewpoint. This was better on the way out, so if you happen to notice a change in lighting, it would be because it is much later in the day.

Well here is why I don’t like to put my trips out of order, this doesn't quite fit here, but it’s the best place to put it.

DSC_0647

The Three Gossips look a little more sinister from this direction.

DSC_0648

Back to the viewpoint: From left to right: The Three Gossips, Sheep Rock, Courthouse Towers.

Copy of DSC_0389 Stitch

A quick stitch which shows quite a few landmarks including the above listed, but also balanced rock and the windows section.

DSC_0207

Random DBP shot.

DSC_0209

Petrified Dunes. The first turn out doesn’t really give you the view that the 2nd one does.

DSC_0210

Quick glimpse of the views to come in the windows section.

DSC_0215

Next came Balanced rock. Unfortunately the parking lot was full, so we returned on the way out.

DSC_0620

What a difference a few hours makes in light.

DSC_0627

A view of the Windows Section and the La Sal Mountains.

DSC_0643

After that we drove down to the windows section. There are a couple of trails here, we started with the Windows Loop which is only about a mile.

DSC_0223

Double Arch from a distance.

DSC_0235

North Window

DSC_0243

In a few hundred years this may become more north window.

DSC_0244

DSC_0252

DSC_0260

This end of the park was rather crowded. Short of arriving earlier, or during a less busy time of year, I don’t think I could have waited out a shot with no people.

DSC_0255

Don’t look up. Just don’t. Wait till I get to Landscape Arch and you will fully understand.

DSC_0266

DSC_0268

Still North Window.

DSC_0256

Turret Arch.

DSC_0271

Some fool climbed it!

DSC_0278

DSC_0282

DSC_0281

South window.

DSC_0314

North and South Windows. Kind of looks like an evil face.

DSC_0297

DSC_0299

Turret Arch. Now before you get upset, these 3 arches are all just right here, so I keep flipping from 1 to the other.

DSC_0312

In fact, South Window through Turret Arch.

DSC_0311

Sans people.

DSC_0319

DSC_0321

Double Arch looked alright, but I thought you could pretty much get what you were going to see from the trail head, and almost decided not to hike out to it. After a quick lunch, and a review of the map we learned it was only a half mile out and back so we went for it.

DSC_0323

DSC_0324

DSC_0333

DSC_0339

DSC_0343

DSC_0346

I am glad we did it, I think this is my favorite arch we hiked to all day. Again, very crowded but very cool!

DSC_0349

DSC_0359

DSC_0361

DSC_0362     

Kind of looks like a face.

DSC_0366

I really like this shot. by focusing on the further away branch I got an extra level of depth I would have lost had I focused on the closer flowers.

DSC_0367

Returning to the road we passed Parade Of Elephants.

DSC_0369

I believe this is Cove of Caves, and Cove Arch.

There are a couple more landmarks we missed in the area.

DSC_0374

We stopped by Garden Of Eden but didn’t hike it.

DSC_0613

Panorama Point. It’s pretty but not much to it.

Wow, this post is already quite long. So, quick change of plans. I will split this day here as the Southern section below the Delicate Arch Junction.

Click here to continue on to Part 2 the Northern Section.

No comments: