Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Stone Creek

 

I got off work early and decided to take advantage of the newly freed time. I also recently adopted a beautiful older dog. I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone and see how she did on a hike. Due to her age I tried to find a fairly easy one. This one is perfect!

This is one of the more difficult, have to navigate through a neighborhood to find the trail head, trails. To get here take i15 to exit 317 (400 north in Bountiful) head east on 400 north. turn left on 1300 east. take the 2nd right onto 600 north turn right onto Skyline Drive. Turn right onto Eagle Ridge Dr. There is a half paved parking lot next to the Bountiful B. The trail head is at a gate on the south end of the parking lot.

I made sure to check the trail head sign for any “No dogs” signage and noting there was none I continued up. One additional note, I failed leaving my house to think to grab a poop bag, luckily I had a grocery bag in my trunk. I brought my dog into the wilderness, I sure as heck am going to ensure I clean up after her. I wish more people would. This is why non dog hikers don’t like hikers with dogs.

DSC_0359

The trail head starts as a gated off off-road-vehicle trail going down into a pretty little valley.

DSC_0365

Roxy checks out the view.

DSC_0370

DSC_0372

I don’t know if it was having the dog, or what but about here a walking trail splits off from the dirt road. To help you not miss it, the road splits here  as well, one going up, the other going down. Look for the trail just before that. So for today we continued following the dirt road up.

DSC_0376

DSC_0380

DSC_0381

Still a nice little adventure with some pretty colors.

DSC_0382

Roxy was upset that I stopped. She was slower on the uphill portions but went back to her normal pace at the flat sections. She kept pushing me further than I expected. It would seem she is a good hiking buddy. Hooray!

DSC_0392

DSC_0400

DSC_0403

Ok we went far enough today. I didn’t want her to go too far and not be able to make it back. We did about a half mile up, so a mile total. Now I know she can definitely do a mile so I will slowly increase that and monitor how she does with it.

DSC_0404

DSC_0405

DSC_0407

Some nice fall colors.

DSC_0415

You can hear the creek, but can’t see it up on the road. It sounds like there are a couple of nice cascades to see on the trail below. Definitely going to have to come back some time.

DSC_0416

There was something of interest in here.

DSC_0420

DSC_0424

DSC_0426

Even the dirt road is a pretty little trail.

DSC_0430

Nice view of the Great Salt Lake below.

DSC_0439

DSC_0440

And here is the side trail that I missed.

DSC_0441

DSC_0443

She wanted to go down there, but there wasn’t a trail.

DSC_0445

Pretty though. Thanks Roxy.

DSC_0451

Nice little sunflower near the trail head.

 DSC_0452

Colorful hill side.

DSC_0459

Nice glowing hillsides.

DSC_0462

And of course the bountiful B, which is just north of the parking lot.

Even though I missed the trail, and thus the creek, I really enjoyed today's short little adventure. Roxy really enjoyed all the sights and smells and wanted to keep going! I am not sure I can fairly rate it by missing the trail, and not going in very far, so I will definitely need to bring her back.

As for difficulty, going to go with a DR3. It was pretty darn easy. Wide, hard packed road with no obstacles.

No comments: