Thursday, September 11, 2014

Ah-Pah Trail – Redwood Coast Trip


The second actual hike we did within the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park was the Ah-Pah Interpretive Trail. I’m not sure why we decided on this one, other than I really wanted to do more exploring in the redwoods, Landis was tired and it was starting to get late, and I knew it was one of the shorter trails at .4 miles. We definitely have time to do one more quick hike. Even though he was tired, he agreed to do it.

Apparently, it used to be an old logging road. If it weren’t for the interpretive signs, I would have had absolutely no idea. They did a really good job of restoring the area to it’s near natural state. This trail is at the north end of the park, I and believe is the last thing to see before exiting it.

IMG_8883

The entrance sign. This is my little life hack to help distinguish sections of my long vacations. Take a picture of the trail or area signs when you get there, then you know the following pictures on your memory card are for that area.

IMG_8886

The trail starts along a nice fern filled section.

ahpah1

First panoramic.

IMG_8891

IMG_8892

Ferns ferns, ferns!

IMG_8893

IMG_8894

No, I sure can’t. (the sign is referring to the old road that is no longer there.) But there has been a couple of years of growth to help cover it all up.

IMG_8897

Cool looking stump.

IMG_8898

New life on a dead log.

IMG_8901

IMG_8906

Split tree the trail goes through.

IMG_8904

Pretty forest.

IMG_8907

I love the trails through ferns.

IMG_8908

Another big tree.

IMG_8909

This one has been damaged by fire.

ahpah2

Another panoramic of some giants.

IMG_8915

Another memorial grove.

IMG_8916

IMG_8918

Pretty forest.

IMG_8919

People for scale. We only ran into 1 other couple on this trail. You know, I heard August was the redwoods busy season, so I thought it would be more crowded that it was. 

IMG_8920

Another grove.

IMG_8921

More trees.

IMG_8924

And here is the view from the end of the trail. The little guide says you can hear the traffic from the 101 from here, but I didn’t. Nothing but tranquility.

 IMG_8930

With one last big tree.

ahpah3

Which I got a panoramic of.

IMG_8933

And the view up. This one turned out interesting with the normal sized trees next to it.

IMG_8934

Beautiful hillside below.

ahpah4

A panoramic of the tall trees.

IMG_8940

Enjoying being in the deep woods.

I am currently reading a book for work and one of the chapters started with this excerpt from a poem that I think is fitting here.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

- Robert Frost
”Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”

I could spend the rest of the day wandering around these gorgeous woods, but we need to get back to the room, and have quite the drive ahead of us. So it is time to head back.

IMG_8945

IMG_8946

Lovely woods.

IMG_8950

Back to the split tree.

IMG_8953

Tall tree.

IMG_8954

Uh, that is a strange looking burl.

IMG_8957

Fern.

IMG_8965

And back to the parking lot. My car next to a big tree.

Well, that was another lovely hike amongst giant trees. It is pretty amazing to see that, with a lot of work, we can restore some areas after they have been mangled by man.

It was super easy, like I said only one other couple, had a lot of great sights and was really serene.

10 out 10 squirrels.

squirrels10

As for difficulty, this one was pretty flat and easy, plus short. There was some slight ups, so really I would probably put it at a 2.5. So, rounding up to a 3.

I wish we had more time to explore this wonderful area, but it was time to start heading towards the room. This was a great last adventure on during our time on the coast though. Just a little more to share with you, so stay tuned!

No comments: