Sunday, March 15, 2015

Church Fork


Church Fork is a small side canyon within Millcreek canyon. It was a truly a different hike than what we are used to up here. The first bit follows the stream up the canyon and passes quite a few little cascades in a pine forest. Then it starts switch-backing up the mountain side towards Grandeur Peak. I tried doing this once before with a friend, but we didn’t get very far. So, I thought we’d try again. The guide I used said 5.5 miles out and back.. but I don’t know how accurate that is considering the mileage on the signs on the trail.

To get here drive approximately 3.2 miles up Mill Creek Canyon. On the left (North side) of the canyon you will see a little picnic area. All the way at the top of that is a small parking lot. If it is full, or the picnic area is still closed for the season, you will need to park on the main road. It only adds about a quarter mile to the hike. They ask that you do not use picnic parking for hiking (and I imagine tow too).

IMG_2080

A look down Mill Creek Canyon. As you can see a lot of people had the same idea we did.

IMG_2081

Here is where Church Fork joins Mill Creek.

IMG_2087

IMG_2090

The stream meandering through the picnic area. This looks like it is a really nice picnic area. I think I might have to plan a family activity one day.

IMG_2091

IMG_2343

Strange porous stone.

IMG_2093

Nice little waterfall.

IMG_2099

And there is another one up by the trailhead.

IMG_2101

The trailhead. Which isn’t the main trailhead as I understand it.

IMG_2107

Not far up the trail there a bridge across the stream that allows you to look down at the waterfall by the trailhead.

IMG_2108

As well as a view up to see that the waterfall continues higher up.

IMG_2110

All of the waterfalls look like they are building travertine up, or at least some kind of mineral formations. Looks pretty similar to what you would see by hot springs, like Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone but definitely not as incredible.

IMG_2113

IMG_2114

IMG_2115

More of that bizarre porous stone. It almost looks like coral. I wonder what it is.

IMG_2117

Another shot of the stream.

IMG_2335

Fork in the trail or as I understand it, the actual trailhead. 3 MORE miles to Grandeur Peak? That is quite a bit more than what the trail guide I used mentioned that would put this trail at 6.2 miles RT (not counting the 1/4 mile through the picnic area) rather than 5.5. However multiple guides have the same mileage so it is possible this sign is not up to date. I’m not sure. Anyway, follow the sign towards the peak.

IMG_2332

I don’t know what they have fenced in here, looks like an empty field.

IMG_2120

The trail is still very wide and hard packed.

IMG_2123

Random stripes painted on this fallen tree.

IMG_2127

There were a few muddy sections, but not too bad considering the time of year.

IMG_2129

View of a neat hanging cliff above.

IMG_2131

IMG_2133

Giant boulder that sits next to the trail. I believe this is part of a limestone ridge that runs though here.

IMG_2135

Where a side stream joins the main one.

IMG_2137

Which made this thin peninsula of land.

IMG_2139

Nice little bridge.

IMG_2142

Patch of aspens.

IMG_2143

And back to pines.

I don’t know what it was about this trail, I was really enjoying it through here.

IMG_2144

IMG_2308

A couple of springs flow across the trail.

IMG_2147

Some stairs were built in here. I’m guessing this slightly steeper section had some erosion problems so they stepped in to try to fix that and still allow people to enjoy the trail.

IMG_2148

Some more of the pretty forest.

IMG_2151 

IMG_2294

Another spring flowing over the boulder which encouraged some mold growth looks really cool! I think this shows more example of the mineral growth.

IMG_2154

IMG_2155

I love the color of the mud in through here.

IMG_2158

IMG_2161

IMG_2164

Couple more shots of the forest.

IMG_2166

It took us a minute to realize we were walking on frozen mud. I think the grit in the mud helps it to not be so slippery.

IMG_2168

We aren’t completely free from the snow yet.

IMG_2167

Well. It would appear we have our own Octopus Tree here in Utah. (not officially named) I wonder what happened here?

IMG_2170

Bizarre knots and lumps. I wondered if this may have been modified by early humans as they believe happened to the Octopus Tree in Oregon, or if there is just something wrong with them.

IMG_2173

A couple yards beyond the tree there is this last parting view of the stream and a sign indicating trail to the left. If you wanted to just get a quick hike in, this might be a good turn around point. Because this is where the trail leaves the stream, and starts switch-backing up the mountains towards Grandeur Peak.

IMG_2175

The trail gets a bit thinner.

IMG_2177

But not too much further you already start getting a great view. Looking down towards Mill Creek Canyon.

IMG_2179

Looking further into Church Fork Canyon.

IMG_2184

Out of the pines, into the scrub oak.

IMG_2186

Neat rock formations above.

IMG_2187

Nekkid trees.

IMG_2193

I chose our trail wisely. There is snow on the surrounding slopes, but not the one we are hiking on.

IMG_2203

I was a little weirded out by those random lighter trees near the center of this photo. thought of all kinds of things like a dead patch, or even an albino patch until we passed an aspen and well, yea.

IMG_2205

As far as switchbacks up a steep slope go, this one is better than most as there is a lot of forest and only a few open areas. Well, at least as far as we went.

IMG_2207

At the time of the hike I wasn’t quite sure exactly where Grandeur Peak was so I don’t think I ever got a picture of it (not sure if I could even see it now that I think about it).  Anyway, it is just to the right of these 2 peaks on the south end of the canyon.

IMG_2206

A look back down into Church Fork and Parleys. Absolutely beautiful view from up here.

Chrch Fork

A quick panoramic.

IMG_2217

Another view down.

IMG_2227

the red rock peak above. Not Grandeur. I think it might be Mill Creek Crest.

IMG_2226

I think this might be Grandeur Peak.. or at least the ridge that leads to it.

I really, REALLY wanted to go to the peak today and finally cross that off my list, and it seemed like we were really close, but it was starting to get late and we wanted to be back before dark, and we were starting to get tired (this trail was kicking our butts). Looking back, I do believe we made the right choice as my legs just about gave out on me before we even got back to the picnic area. When I got home I did a little more research and determined we had only gone about halfway! I am really glad we didn’t push it today. This is a tough little trail! But one I really want to return and complete.

Church Fork 2

A quick panoramic from the highest point of the trail we reached before we turned back.

IMG_2232

Another little spring.

IMG_2234

Red rock formation and some pines.

IMG_2235

Red sand on the trail, and some snow across the canyon.

IMG_2237

Pretty view down.

IMG_2242

Early flower.

IMG_2248

One of the switchbacks.

IMG_2252

You can see the limestone ridge just above a large boulder in the middle of this image. that is the large boulder we passed on the way up.

IMG_2252 - Copy

With a quick cropping you can see some people on top of it.

IMG_2263

IMG_2265

A squirrel let me get surprisingly close… before scampering across to another branch to give me a proper squirrely scolding.

IMG_2269

Back to the “Octopus Tree”

.IMG_2276

Back into the pines

.IMG_2282

The stream.

IMG_2285

Human and doggy prints in the mud.

IMG_2302

Oh look we are already to the stairs. Down is always so much quicker than up.

IMG_2315

IMG_2316

Back to the giant boulder. I thought about climbing up, but… legs… jelly… wasn’t going to happen today.

IMG_2320

I noticed this tree has a weird wide and mossy base like the Myrtle Wood Tree in Oregon. In fact I noticed a couple. So I am thinking with all of the interesting trees here that there must have been something that affected them. A possible fire, or some disease, or maybe even the minerals in the soil. I don’t know though still it makes for an interesting hike.

IMG_2326

Another shot of the stream.

IMG_2333

This big rock had a crack like a giant geode.

IMG_2337

we are back to the upper waterfall near the trailhead

IMG_2338

The lower one.

IMG_2340

Back to the picnic area.

IMG_2341

Roots pushing through the pavement.

IMG_2346

IMG_2348

The waterfall in the picnic area.

IMG_2354

New fire pits ready to be installed. They look nice with little grilling areas.

IMG_2355

Back to where Church Fork meets Mill Creek.

Well, this was a tougher, longer trail that just kept on gong up, and up. However, I absolutely loved it! I wish we had made it to Grandeur Peak but even without doing that I had a great time and was absolutely fascinated with just about everything we saw along the way. It is a really good one to do in early spring, and I would love to see it in full bloom, but I am not sure if this would be a good summer hike being on an open slope for most of it. We didn’t complete it, but what we did do was great. Going with a perfect 10.

squirrels 10

As for difficulty, well we didn’t have our usual winter break from hiking this year, but this was seriously UP the entire way and it did have some steep switch-backs. The trail starts at 5900 ft. in elevation and the peak is at 8299 ft. That’s about 2400 ft. of elevation gain. I’m between a 4 and a 5, think I would finalize on a 5.

Dogs are always allowed in Mill Creek Canyon however must be leashed on even numbered days. We didn’t encounter the kind of issues we experienced in nearby Rattlesnake Gulch, but my standard plea still applies: please clean up after your furry friend.

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

No comments: