Sunday, April 30, 2017

Neffs Canyon


Neffs Canyon is a smaller canyon in the Mill Creek area. In fact it is just south of Mill Creek Canyon. It is a beautiful forested trail up a very steep canyon. Seriously, this trail starting kicking our butts right at the beginning and never really let up. But there are some great sights to see and some nice views as well. We did not make it to the meadow today, but I thought I would share what we did do.

IMG_1597 - CopyI

It’s weird that we haven’t done this trail sooner considering it was my primary view from work for the last year or so.

IMG_0356

Quick Details:

Length: 2.75 M to the Meadow and 3.5 to the pass. One way.
Difficulty: DR5 This is just up. And pretty rocky.
Elevation Gain: 2450 ft to the meadow and 3190 to the pass.
Restroom: No. The closest restroom we found was at a grocery store below.
Dogs? Yes. But if you plan on continuing over the pass then leave Fido at home as that crosses into watershed. I did not see any rules on leash restrictions.

To get here:

Take exit 4 for 3900 S in Millcreek. If heading from the North, turn left on 3900 s, which will turn into Jupiter Dr. after you cross Wasatch. If heading from the south, still take exit 4, but then left on Wasatch Blvd, then right on Jupiter dr. after about .8 m turn left on 4280 s Oakview Dr. after .4 miles turn left onto Parkview Dr. after .2 m turn right onto 4260 e. turn right onto White way. Follow that .3 m to the parking lot at the top. 4326 White Way, Salt Lake City, Ut.

The Trail:

IMG_0477

Trailhead sign.

IMG_0283

Large, but crowded parking lot.

IMG_0281

Neffs Canyon from the parking lot.

IMG_0478

Right off the bat you are faced with a choice. Both trails join, so it doesn’t matter which one you choose. We took the lower trail.

IMG_0284

Pretty little meadow below.

IMG_0286

Before long you will come to these stairs which will connect you to the other trail.

IMG_0288

Nice wide, well packed old jeep road. With a pretty good view of Mount Olympus.

IMG_0293

Before long you will pass a water tower.

IMG_0296

Mount Olympus above.

IMG_0298

Above the forest.

IMG_0300

Mount Olympus.

IMG_0303

Old pipe and new pipe.

IMG_0306

View of the valley below.

IMG_0310

Interesting ridges. I wonder if these might be the same layers that created the Devils Slide in Morgan.

IMG_0317

Oh neat, I found a little window.

IMG_0317 - Copy

A little closer.

IMG_0444

Trail split. The guide I used said to bear left, so that is what we did. I’m not sure if the trail to the right rejoins the trail or goes elsewhere. After reviewing some other maps it looks like just a little spur.

IMG_0321

After about a half mile we have reached the creek!

IMG_0322

More of the creek.

IMG_0329

Just beyond the trail split is this flat clearing area. And a bunch more trail splits.

IMG_0330

Some of the biggest Glacier Lilies I have ever seen.

IMG_0331

More cool rock formations.

IMG_0335

The left trail follows along this dry creek bed.

IMG_0339

Eventually in connected to the main trail.

IMG_0342

IMG_0344

The path is lined on both sides with Glacier Lilies.

IMG_0347

Uh oh, already starting to see some snow.

IMG_0351

The cliffs above.

IMG_0356

Very steep and rocky trail!

IMG_0364

Crossing to the other side of the dry creek.

IMG_0367

And another dry creek.

IMG_0369

After the 2nd creek crossing we started seeing more snow, and more runoff coming down the trail.

IMG_0371

Lots of mud.

IMG_0373

The stream, now to the right, is in a pretty deep gulley.

IMG_0376

At about 1.5 miles we came to this small clearing.

IMG_0377

Looks like someone has made a small campsite here.

IMG_0378

What the trail looks like now. I decided to take a break in the clearing and catch my breath. This trail is really intense. It is starting to remind me of Bell Canyon.

IMG_0379

The clearing again.

After catching my breath I decided I had enough. I hate to have made it this far to just turn around, but I didn’t want a repeat of a few weeks ago and having to trudge through snow. And I decided the meadow is probably a field of snow right now anyway so the effort/reward tradeoff didn’t seem great right now. We got our hike in, sometimes you gotta know when to throw in the towel.

IMG_0386

Looking down the steep, muddy trail.

IMG_0390

More Glacier Lilies.

IMG_0391

Looking down canyon.

IMG_0392

Cliffs above again.

IMG_0395

Glacier Lily and another small flower.

IMG_0396

Through the forest.

IMG_0398

This one just to show the rocky trail.

IMG_0404

Mount Olympus above.

IMG_0409

We reached the point where the short side trail we took joined the main trail. We decided to try the main trail down.

IMG_0415

Scraggly rocks.

IMG_0420

I am really glad we took the other trail up. This section of trail seems steeper.

IMG_0421

And we have reached the big clearing again. As we approached I heard what sounded like a waterfall.

IMG_0425

So I found a small trail next to the creek.

IMG_0429

IMG_0430

I found a couple small cascades before the trail fizzled out on me.

IMG_0432

The stream splitting into two.

IMG_0434

The clearing below. It kind of reminds me of Ferguson Canyon.

IMG_0436

Someone made a little rope swing.

IMG_0437

And a small fire pit. I don’t think this is allowed here but I’m not sure.

IMG_0443

The creek again.

IMG_0447 - Copy

The window again.

IMG_0457

Cliffs above.

IMG_0459 - Copy

The valley and downtown below.

Neffs Canyon

Panoramic.

IMG_0463

With the water tower.

IMG_0464 - Copy

And another view. I can see my work from here.

IMG_0474

Last look at Mount Olympus.

I am a little upset we didn’t make it to the destination, but did enjoy what we did do. The first half mile was pretty crowded but it thinned out after that. Due to not reaching the meadow I don’t think it would be fair for me to rate it. As I mentioned the effort/reward ratio was not good today, so as is I probably wouldn’t rate it very high. I will say, I think it would be more enjoyable a little later in the year after the snow is done melting, but before it gets too hot.

As for difficulty, this was a tough trail! Definitely an almost constant up with not very many calmer spots. DR5 for sure.

Dogs are allowed. I’m not sure if leashes are required or not, so I’ll leave that up to you to decide.

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

No comments: