Sunday, May 6, 2018

Killyon Canyon To East Canyon Saddle

Killyon Canyon is an incredible, easy trail located in Emigration Canyon near Salt Lake City. This beautiful area was slotted to become another expensive suburb however SLC decided to purchase it and set it aside as a nature preserve, very much like Willow Lake. I am really glad they did as it is awfully pretty and honestly, not too many trails seem to transport you somewhere else entirely as quickly as this one did. Plus, whomever forged this trail did so in such a way that you barely notice the elevation, well, until the very end anyway. A nice longer trail that is easy is kind of hard to come by so I loved it. May is my all-time favorite time of year to hike, and I tend to gush over any new trail we do in May, but, wow. I really did like this trail.

Killyon Canyon

Quick Details:

Length: About 4.6 miles out and back including the .6 miles (x2 up and down) along the road from parking to trailhead.
Difficulty: DR3.
Elevation Gain: About 820 feet.
Restroom: No. We stopped at Ruth’s Diner for dinner and there was one there. Short of that, you’ll have to find a gas station.
Dogs? Yes, Leashed. please clean up after your furry friend.
Other Info: There is no parking at the trailhead. You will need to park at the bottom of the street.

To Get Here:

Head approximately 7 miles up Emigration Canyon. At the first hairpin turn there is a road called Pinecrest Canyon Rd. On the left. About 3/10’s of a mile you will see a small parking area on the right (signed), and a little overflow area just up on the left (not signed). This is just before the road forks.

IMG_1732

The sign in the main (new) parking lot. I guess you could originally park at the trailhead, but property owners managed to make the whole street no public parking.

IMG_1733

The smaller overflow lot from the main lot.

You’ll walk up this road for just a little while.

IMG_1734

And then take this right fork on Killyons Ln.

IMG_1735

As far as being forced to walk down the road goes, at least it is kind of pretty.

IMG_1736 - Copy

We heard and saw tons of hummingbirds along the road too. This was the only decent shot I got though.

IMG_1737

The creek we will be following for a while.

IMG_1739

I would say about halfway up the road goes from paved to dirt.

IMG_1752 - Copy

Large hawk hunting above. I did have my telephoto lens, but the lighting wasn’t favorable.

IMG_1759

Trees are starting to green up.

IMG_2151

Just below the trailhead is this pull out. I understand not wanting people to park on the thin dirt road, but really, why can’t we use this to park? It could fit 5-6 cars without blocking the road at all.

IMG_1764

The trail head is just beyond the barrier. I think the trail used to be a thinner dirt road before the nature preserve so they just blocked it off.

IMG_1765

Cute reminder to clean up after your pets.

The Trail:

IMG_1766

Beginning of the actual trail.

IMG_1767

Nice and green up here right now.

IMG_1770

Loads of blue wildflowers lining the trail too.

IMG_1771

I’m not sure, but I think these are forget me nots.

IMG_1774

IMG_1777

The creek again.

IMG_1778

Short steeper segment.

IMG_1781

Red, orange and green. It’s not fall, but uh, there is some great color along coming up right now. I think the red is willow, the orange took me a little longer.

IMG_1784

Iddy biddy waterfall.

IMG_1785

Mossy rocks.

IMG_1788

The trail is beautiful right now. I can imagine in just a few short weeks when everything fills in it will be absolutely spectacular.

IMG_1792

Hitting a patch of aspens.

IMG_1794

8 years? This has been preserved for 8 years and I just am now exploring it? But seriously, this is awesome. I am so happy this was set aside as a nature area for us to enjoy.

IMG_1796

I love the poop fairy signs. Seriously people, take your dogs where they are allowed, but clean up their poop!

IMG_1798

The first of 2 bridges we crossed on our path today.

IMG_1800

View upstream with another iddy biddy waterfall.

IMG_1802

Small pond.

IMG_1809

Nice open section.

IMG_1811

With more red, orange and green.

IMG_1813

The red willow and if you look to the top right you can see the source of the orange color. Seed pods of some sort.

IMG_2155

Closer picture of the seed pods.

IMG_1814

Another nice clearing.

IMG_1815

It looks like this is where the original path crossed the stream, which caused some un-natural widening. The 2nd bridge is just below here now.

IMG_1816

2nd Bridge.

IMG_1819

Upstream.

IMG_1821

Downstream.

IMG_1822

Glacier Lilies galore.

IMG_1826

This is seriously the worst part of the trail, and it is not bad at all. Short steep segment followed by a landslide. Most landslide segments are along steep slopes with a wall on one side and a drop off to the other, this one, not so much. So it didn’t faze me at all. Just watch your footing.

IMG_1829

The creek below.

IMG_1830

Quick view down canyon.

IMG_1833

Twin trees.

IMG_1838

Another little clearing.

IMG_1839

We reached a trail split that had this super helpful sign…not a single thing mentioned on the left fork. Now that I am home and looking at a map I think left is the shorter route to Lookout Peak, but can also be accessed to the right. Anyway, I remembered the guide I read pointing us left, but this sign made me feel like right was the way to go. Not wrong, we were just exploring today. But, when I return I might check out the left fork.

IMG_2069

There is a 3rd bridge on the left fork, but we went right today.

IMG_1843

Dead log looks like a curious animal.

IMG_1844

IMG_1845

HUGE fir tree’s. Landis informed they are firs because: “Firs are friendly and fragile” meaning the needles don’t poke you, and they tear when pulled.

IMG_1846

Beautiful forest through here.

IMG_1849

Nice grassy hills.

IMG_1854

The little valley we’ve been climbing.

IMG_1855

The trail is a little thin through here but it is still nice and easy.

IMG_1856

Hill across the way.

IMG_1864 - Copy

A couple of robins hanging out.

IMG_1865

Another large fir tree.

IMG_1869

This trail has exactly 2 switchbacks, they are seriously the most mild, lazy switchbacks ever.

IMG_1870

Looking across the valley again.

IMG_1875

Looking down canyon.

IMG_1878

Up Canyon. I think Lookout Peak is just out of frame, to the left.

IMG_1881

I don’t know if that peak is named.

IMG_1884

The trail has worn deeper into the ground here.

IMG_1887

Love this time of year when the hills are so green.

IMG_1888

More big firs.

IMG_1891

Looking up!

IMG_1892

Another short hill.

IMG_1895

Looking down canyon. It is so pretty up here right now.

IMG_1901

IMG_1903

I think that is Lookout Peak just to the right of that big hill.

IMG_1907

Another nice clearing. The trail gets a little thin through here, but you can find your way.

IMG_1908

Looks like this might be a little swampy in winter.

IMG_1911

IMG_1914

Another patch of aspens.

After this little clearing is about where you start to notice the trail is going uphill.

IMG_1916

Particularly deep run-off channel. At least that’s what I call them, but I don’t know if there is an actual name for these. I suspect as the snowmelt really starts kicking into gear ephemeral streams create these. Of the top of my head, I can remember seeing similar phenomenon at Bloods Lake and also in North Canyon.

IMG_1918

The trail starts to get a little choppy up here, just watch your step.

IMG_1925

Pretty blue wildflowers.

IMG_1929

I think that is Lookout Peak again.

IMG_1932

More glacier lilies. These are usually the first wildflowers I start seeing in abundance. I am guessing that might have something to do with the name.

IMG_1933

Little tree tunnel.

IMG_1935

Pretty forest.

IMG_1937

Short muddy section. This one was a little tough to try and avoid as it is another spot that the trail has worn down pretty deeply so it was hard to keep to the side.

IMG_1940

Looking back down canyon.

IMG_1944 - Copy

Bizarre bright green beetle.

IMG_1945

View down again.

IMG_1948

The trail ever so gradually steepened that before long we found it to actually be some work. When we got here we were kind of hoping that was the top! Lucky for us, it was. We have definitely done steeper, and longer steeper trails though.

IMG_1950

The ridge.

IMG_1952

At the middle of the saddle you will come to a 4 way split. Forward (east) goes into East Canyon. Left will take you to Lookout Peak and Right will take you to Little Mountain.

I thought I remembered seeing there was an overlook not far along the trail going forward so we went over the ridge and down that way for a minute.

IMG_1953

Please note: East Canyon is watershed, so if you brought your dogs along you can’t go down this way. My pups don’t do as well on the longer hikes so we didn’t bring them with us today.

IMG_1955

Neat old stump.

IMG_1958

Nice red peak.

IMG_1966

I think this is looking back at Lookout Peak.

Well, we didn’t want to go down too far, because we knew we’d have to climb back up. We made it to our intended destination, so we called it and turned around. Looking at the map it looks like if you keep following the trail it will take you to Affleck Park and if you are really adventurous Big Mountain. Although I think that would be better started at Big Mountain Pass. We didn’t hike Big Mountain, but we went a little way down the Great Western Trail there from there back in 2012.

IMG_1968

We only went maybe 1 to 2 tenths of a mile down but we didn’t see a viewpoint. Now that I think about it, I think the view point was on the trail to the south towards Little Mountain. I’ll have to do some more digging.

IMG_1969

East Canyon is pretty too.

IMG_1975

The red striped peak again.

IMG_1976

Before long we were back at the crossroads on the saddle.

I would have liked a sign here but meh.

IMG_1979

North towards Lookout Peak (obscured by the bush).

IMG_1980

South towards Little Mountain.

IMG_1982

IMG_1983

Glacier lilies.

IMG_1985

Little purple flower.

IMG_1987 - Copy

Large raptor flying above. Unfortunately, by the time I got the telephoto lens out it was gone.

Killyon Canyon

Panoramic view looking down Killyon Canyon.

IMG_2002

Heading back down.

IMG_2005

Not 100% sure but I think this is broadleaf arnica. You know there are a million sunflower looking flowers that grow around here. Sometimes it isn’t easy to identify them.

IMG_2006

Back to the muddy section. I was doing pretty good avoiding it until I randomly bumped my camera and the lens cap popped right off and landed square in it. really? I just bought a lens cap leash but I hadn’t put it on yet. Sigh. Well, guess what I did the next day, after washing the lens cap of course.

IMG_2007

Little bit of rough trail.

IMG_2010

Tree tunnel.

IMG_2015

Little bit more rough trail.

IMG_2016

IMG_2018

Reaching the last little clearing with the aspens.

IMG_2021

Fallen tree being reclaimed by nature.

IMG_2022

Little clearing again… what was the word I learned.. Dell, I guess this would be a dell.

IMG_2025

Hills above.

IMG_2028

IMG_2041

I just love this time of year when the mountains are nice and green.

IMG_2030

Red dirt.

IMG_2045

Still not sure what these are.

IMG_2050

Pretty forest.

IMG_2053

The valley again.

IMG_2059

More pretty firs.

IMG_2065

I noticed a couple signs of fire here. Glad to see it doesn’t appear to have been too devastating, or at the very least the forest is recovering strongly.

IMG_2067

Most of the locations I pointed out before. would be nice if they added mileage.

IMG_2072

10,000 steps! I always tend to hit that when we do longer trails. Go fig. :-p

IMG_2073

More fire damage.

IMG_2078

Looking down canyon.

IMG_2080

The landslide section. Again, not a big concern.

IMG_2083

The creek again.

IMG_2086

The 2nd bridge.

IMG_2091

Nice clear water.

IMG_2103

Little pond again.

IMG_2105

Wildlife research cam. Now that I think of it, I am kind of curious how much wildlife uses a waterhole next to a popular trail.

IMG_2108

The lower bridge.

IMG_2121

Reds and greens.

IMG_2123

Little waterfall.

IMG_2126

IMG_2127

More forget me nots.

IMG_2130

They start out purple.

IMG_2143

They line the trail at parts.

IMG_2146

Back to the trailhead.

IMG_2147

Now we just have the 6 tenths of a mile down the road back to the car.

IMG_2160

I was a little confused about the beach parking sign, until Landis pointed out the surf boards.

IMG_2166

Almost back to where we parked.

IMG_2169

Heading down Emigration Canyon (DBP).

IMG_2172

We decided to check out Ruth’s Diner on the way down. I have head wonderful things about it, so I thought it was time to check it it. This was a great way to end the day. The service was amazing!

IMG_3732

The original building in this location was a train car. You can still kind of see it.

IMG_2180

IMG_2181

Continuing down emigration Canyon (DBP).

IMG_2184

Downtown with some nice sunset clouds (DBP).

IMG_2186

Sunset (DBP).

That was a great hike! which is a little surprising since it didn’t really have an end prize, this one was more about the entire experience. beautiful woods and not a lot of people. I am definitely going to have to do this one again, but I am thinking an autumn trip is in store for here. Going with 9 out of 10 squirrels.

9 Squirrels

As for difficulty, this is probably one of the easiest longer trails we have done. DR3.

Dogs are allowed, leashed. Please clean up after your furry friend!

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

No comments: