Sunday, October 13, 2019

Lake Solitude

Lake Solitude is a pretty alpine lake above Solitude Ski Resort in Big Cottonwood Canyon. At about 1.5 miles it is a relatively easy to reach lake while meandering through some beautiful forests. You also have a really good chance of seeing wildlife, from the small, but adorable pika, to deer and even moose. We’ve done this one a couple times now, but I like this trail, and I was hoping it would be a good spot to enjoy some fall color. Spoiler, we hit this one a little too late for that. However it was a nice hike.



Quick Details:

Length: 3 miles out and back (this includes about a half mile around the west side of Silver Lake to the trailhead (out and back)).
Trail Type: Out and back, with balloon option
Difficulty: DR3. It is a good constant mild uphill hike with some rocky sections.
Elevation Gain: about 370 feet.
Restroom: Yes. The new flush toilets are now open.
Dogs? No. Big Cottonwood Canyon is watershed.

To Get Here:

Drive all the way to the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Stop at the Solitude Nordic Center near Silver Lake, there is overflow parking across the road.

You can go either way around Silver Lake, but going right will be shorter at about 3/10’s of a mile, just as the trail curves to the left there is a trail that splits off and goes into the woods.



Some nice color near the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon (Passenger Seat Photo (PSP)).



The aspens near the top seem to be just about done for the year (PSP).



Some nice color near Solitude (PSP). This is what made me decide on this trail today.

The Trail:



As I mentioned, you can go either way around Silver Lake, but the west side, or to the right is the shortest route.



Silver Lake’s outlet.



Silver Lake.



Mt Millicent.



Panoramic.



Approximately 3/10’s of a mile later and here is the trail leading back into the woods. During the summer months there is a trailhead sign here, but they take them down for the winter. I’m not sure if it is to prevent winter damage, or to not be in the way for skiers, or maybe both.





Hooray! There is a little bit of color up here still.



Before long you will come to another trail split. Again, normally it is signed. Left leads to Twin Lakes Reservoir. Right is a closed trail, forward takes us to Lake Solitude.



Some more color.

This time of year, and this late in the day the trail is in the shadow of the mountain for most of the way. Luckily it wasn’t too cold today.



I absolutely love hiking through aspens!




There is still just a smidge of color up here, but it is kind of muted.




Just enjoying the aspens.



Starting to hit some mixed forest.





Some more aspens.



Oh. This is new. Someone built a little stone staircase up by the new clear cut line.





More aspens along the new road.



Entering Solitude boundaries, for now, the signs within are still up.



Some more color. Not the best lighting right now, but I am still enjoying the trail.



Huge tree.



Looking up.



The Mickey Mouse looking mine on Scott Hill.



More forest.



There seem to be a lot of recently fallen trees along this trail. I guess last winter was just rough all around.



Looking across towards Guardsman Pass. I considered going up that way today, but it looked like a zoo, so I opted against it.



The Sunrise ski lift is still running.



There is a mess of trails right here, but it is signed. Just keep going forward.



Lone aspen.



The shrubs are nice and colorful.





More forest.



Another 4 way intersection. Keep going forward on the new route. Right was the old way, but it looks like they may have rerouted the old trail to the Summit Trail.



Squirrel!



More color.



Small scree field.



A cute little pika!



Looking at us. I know they are just a little mammal, but I think they are just adorable.



This is the first time we have seen pikas on this trail. We almost always see them on the nearby Twin Lakes Reservoir trail though so it shouldn’t be much of a surprise.



Continuing along.



Some more aspens.



It’s been over a year, but you can still tell this is newly cut trail. We discovered they re-routed the trail last time we did this last year. It was done to help erosion issues along the old trail. It really is a huge improvement as the old trail had a final super steep push up that kind of sucked.



A couple of deer.



Entering a thick band of conifers.



Looking up.



Thick woods.



Nearing the large scree field. Note: this means you are almost there.



I could hear some pikas chirping in here, and thought I caught some movement a few times, but didn’t see any, well, on the way up.



Another short forest section.



Success! Lake Solitude.



I’m not 100% sure, but I think that peak is called Black Bess Peak.



Panoramic.



The shrubs are really thick around the lake, but there are a couple spots you can get to the edge.



With the peak above.

Normally we would go around the lake, but we are still getting over colds and the hike was kicking our butts today so we just kind of relaxed for a while and enjoyed the view.



There is a thin layer of ice on the far end.

We noticed some movement that appears to be some kind of animal in the water so I pulled out the telephoto lens.



I really thought it was a muskrat or something, but no. Ducks.



Walking on the ice.



The lake again.



Another panoramic.



I’ve been wanting to take the trail up to Twin Lakes Pass for a while now, but yeah, that wasn’t going to happen today. Maybe next time.



As we were getting ready to leave a deer decided to come by.



One last shot of the lake before heading back down.



Something spooked the deer.



Back into the woods.



Back to the big scree field.



Hello cute little pika!



Another one.





Back to the first one. I love these little guys, they are just so cute.

I also recently learned that their behavior can be an indicator for how rough winter might be. Local news source here. (external link).



Little line of aspens between the conifers.



Back in the forest.



Looking up.





More aspens.



More trees.



Near the smaller scree field a pika ran out towards us. They don’t often get this close, well, I did have one at Cecret Lake run right up to my ankles one time.



Back into the scree. I imagine the loose rocks provide excellent shelter from predators which I think might be why they like to hang out in them.



Running up the boulders.



Another little patch of color.



We kept hearing a lot of noise in the bushes, sounded like something pretty big… it was a pair of squirrels wrestling. lol. They don't normally make that much noise.



Some more color.



More down by the disc golf course.



The other side of Big Cottonwood Canyon.



People are actually using the ski lift. Looks like it is $15 for a single ride, or $25 for a full day pass.



Some color on the other side of the canyon.



Fun side effect of hiking in fall with a hiking pole.

We heard some more noise in the bushes, and almost dismissed it as squirrels again…



But it was a porcupine. Considering all the time we spend in the mountains, this is only the 3rd porcupine we have ever run across.





It was fun to watch him make his way down the mountain.





I was enjoying watching this guy, but we definitely kept our distance. I don’t want to disturb any wildlife, but certainly not one that can absolutely ruin my day.



So cool.





Making his way down to the trail.





Holy crap this guy is freaking huge!



He seems to have a kind of bald spot near the back, which makes me wonder if there was a recent scuffle.



Just enjoying the wildlife.



I think they are really cute animals, but am aware they can completely ruin my day.



I got a little nervous when this bike came down and was just about to warn him, when he skidded to a stop. Phew! I was so worried I was going to see something I didn’t want to see. And the porcupine puffed up a bit too haha. We decided to keep moving at this point.



More aspens.



Looking up.









More forest.



Looking up again.





I sure enjoy the aspens.



Then we hit a section of sad brown ones.



Back to the trail split.



Pretty blue skies.



Some great color through here.



This large aspen wasn’t across the trail last time we came up here. I wonder how recently it fell.



Back down to Silver Lake and the crowds. We considered going around the other side, like we usually do, but decided not to today, so back the shorter way.



The lake and Mt. Millicent again.



Duck butts!



Mt. Millicent above Silver Lake.



Some nice reflection and a ducky.



All the sudden this duck came cruising towards me… it took me a second to realize he wanted food. haha. Sorry buddy, I didn’t bring any grapes up with us today. Random reminder: Bread is bad for ducks, and pollutes the water, so consider better food options if you want to feed the ducks.





Some nice color on the mountains.



I’ve never noticed this plaque before. Dedicated to William Stuart Brighton who built a hotel up here in 1874, establishing the area as a mountain resort, which has since been named for him. Neat.



The sun is just starting to set.



Little library on the general store. I love seeing these in the wild!



The little creek coming out of Twin Lakes Reservoir is rushing pretty good (PSP).



Pretty skies coming down the canyon (PSP).



I am pretty sure these moose signs are new, I can’t recall seeing them before (PSP). In fact this is the first time I have seen one that I can remember. I have seen the deer, and also new to me, elk, but this is the first moose sign.



Looks like the sunset was amazing today, but we only got a couple glimpses of it coming down (PSP).



The colors near the mouth of the canyon are more vibrant (PSP).



What’s left of the sunset (PSP).

I always enjoy this hike. The crowds around Silver Lake severely diminish on the back trails and they are very, very quiet and enjoyable. The lake is as lovely as always, and the wildlife was great today. I was a little disappointed with the fall colors up there today, but that was my fault. I should have done another trail since that was what I was after. However, I enjoyed the wildlife today so I can’t complain too much. 9 out of 10 squirrels today.



As for difficulty, it is a pretty good grade, but a constant climb with some rocky parts. It is definitely better than the old trail. DR3.

Dogs are not allowed in Big Cottonwood Canyon due to watershed restrictions. Be sure to leave Fido at home.



No comments: