Sunday, August 23, 2020

Paper Airplane Trail

The Paper Airplane Trail near Powder Mountain is a nice trail that leads to, well a giant paper airplane with a fantastic view to boot. It also appears to be a good trail for wildflowers.

If I am understanding this correctly, a bicycling group called IMBA designed 14 miles of trail through here. A local artist Griffen Loop built the airplane and it was placed on the trail as a rideable feature.

The trail to the airplane is about .65 miles so it can be a short out and back. According to Powder Mountains summer trails map the whole trail is 2.25 miles but then you will need to return the way you came or return via the road, or connect to another trail to loop back. I read there was a .9 miles loop, but I don’t think that is official and from the reviews is not marked, and is strait up. This is all research I, admittedly, should have done before we left. However this was kind of a last minute idea, as I was hoping to get into the Uintas, but changed my mind with the recent fires.



Quick Details:

Length: 4.5 out and back or 1.3 out and back just to the airplane (We did 2 out and back).
Trail Type: Out and back with longer loop options.
Difficulty: DR3.
Elevation Gain: 246 ft. (to the airplane).
Restroom: No.
Dogs? I am not sure, but I think they are allowed.
Other Info: This trail starts at the top, and the return trip will be uphill. This can catch people off guard, so just know what you are getting into. There is not a lot of shade on this trail. Also, watch for bikes, as it is a popular biking trail.

To Get Here:

Head up Ogden Canyon, at the top, turn left to cross over the Pineview Reservoir Dam (signs towards Eden). Take US 158 for 12 miles. Turn right on N. Powder Ridge Rd. Go 1.2 miles further and turn right on Summit Pass Rd, immediately turn right into the small parking lot.

The signed trail is on the north side of the lot.



Heading up Ogden Canyon (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)).



Crossing the Pineview Dam (PSP).



Pineview again (PSP). You can get up and close with the lake by doing the Pineview Trail.



Heading up the canyon that leads to Powder Mountain (PSP). I have never been to Powder Mountain so I had no idea what to expect.





This is one steep and windy canyon (PSP).

I didn’t take any photos, but the last 2 miles are a little pucker inducing… but I mean, not the worst.

The Trail:



Gnarly old tree at the parking lot.



Trail marker. Not a whole lot of information here or on their summer trail page.



The road we came up. I guess it doesn’t look as bad from this angle as it did coming up.



Some different looking daisies than we are used to seeing.



I was starting to worry that this trail might not be a good match for me cause I struggle on thin trails on steep slopes, but it was not really bad at all.



In fact it was a fairly pleasant stroll down the mountain.



Before long you will come across this neat tree house observation deck.



That is literally built into the trees.



It offers a pretty nice view! Although I bet it is a lot better without the smoke. Also, I didn’t notice it at the time, but you can see the paper airplane from here! Bottom right in this picture. I got a better shot on the return trip.



Looking towards the lower Powder Mountain area.



Smoky view.



The trail switchbacks under the tree house.



Some pretty daisy’s



With a bizarre wasp. Kind of looks like a mud dauber, but not sure.



Purple daisy’s.





Into the aspens!



Keep an eye out for the trail split that is signed.



More forest.



Looking up.



Oh! I can see it!



There are some HUGE freaking conifers on this trail.



The trail is thin, but the slope is not bad at all.



Looking out towards the lower Powder Mountain base.



Getting closer.



The paper airplane! I know it’s a simple art piece but it is still neat.



It’s pretty cool!



From behind.



With the view. This is pretty great, even with the smoke, however I bet it i absolutely spectacular without the smoke.



Long, flat mountain.



Back to the airplane.



Neat sculpture.

Considering I was under the impression this was a loop trail, we continued along.



It is pretty up here.



Mixed daisies.



Loving the old trees.



Not sure what these are but they are pretty.



The Ogden Valley below again. I can just sort of make out some buildings through the smoke.





Butterflies.



Interesting round rock.



Lupine.

Well, we reached a mile, and the loop trail I was expecting said 9/10th’s of a mile. The trail was still heading down. There is no way it is going back towards where we started anytime soon. We decided to round one more corner, and then made the wise decision to return the way we had come. If not for the fact that we had to return uphill I might have pushed us a little further.



Some daisies and something else.



Another butterfly.



More flowers.



More lupine.



Gnarly old trees.



Squirrel!



I THINK this might have been the trail up the loop trail mentioned. However, it looks like the rangers are trying to dissuade use by blocking the entrance. Either way, I wasn’t sure, so I figured best to just come back the way we came.



Se we got another view of the airplane.



A little closer.



We could hear some voices, and here is where we realized you can see the tree house from here, so you should be able to see here from the tree house. By The by, whoever was making noise at the tree house must have gone down another trail, or turned around, we never saw them.



Looking back towards the lower Powder Mountain.



Mint.



Love the giant trees. I mean, nothing compared to the Redwoods but still pretty big.





Back into the aspens!



Back to the trail split. Right will get us back to the trailhead.



More forest.



There were a bunch of these piles of wood along the way. I wonder what they are?



Smoky layers of mountains.



Back to the tree house.



You can indeed see the airplane from here.



More daisies.



View from the trailhead.





Heading down the steep and windy canyon (PSP).



When you start to see the smaller sunflowers on the side of the road it’s a good sign that the wildflower season is ending (PSP).



Pineview Reservoir again (PSP).



The Ogden Canyon Waterfall still has a nice flow (PSP).

Well, that was a nice trail. However, I don’t think it was worth the long drive. Maybe if I happen to be recreating in the Ogden Valley I might return, but otherwise meh. The sculpture is neat and I wish we had clearer skies, so maybe I will come back. We did have the trail pretty much to ourselves though, and that is a big thing I am after these days o that as nice. Going with 8 out of 10 squirrels.



As for difficulty, it was a pretty mild climb, except for the fact that you did it on the return trip. I still want to put this on a DR3 though. Also, keep in mind there is not a whole lot of shade.

I am not 100% sure on dogs, but did note no signs banning them. However when I am unsure I tend to chose to not bring them along.

No comments: