Thursday, January 11, 2024

Lost Limekiln

 I was messing around on google maps when I noticed a structure in a somewhat remote area and decided I would see if I could get to it without trespassing. I knew that this is a bit of a gamble and I may not be able to get myself to do it. It was rough, and a little dicey and a couple times I almost quit, and there was some definite bushwhacking but we made it! And holy crap was it worth it.

Note: This will not be a guide. I will not be showing you how to get here. This is an over 150 year old structure that has been left to nature and is remarkably still standing. Since it is less known than the more popular limekiln in Limekiln Gulch it is in surprisingly good condition and I don’t want to contribute to it’s demise. Considering the continued disrespect to the more popular and easier to reach one gets. I you do find it, please, please do your part in keeping it preserved. 

I learned about a “lost limekiln” through another hikers blog, that I cannot seem to find again. So I am unable to say whether this is the same one or not, but this is definitely a long abandoned limekiln and it was so neat to explore.

I have been sitting on this post for a couple months going back and forth as to whether or not I should share it. After all the snow we have been getting this month I really didn't have anything new to post, so here we go.


Itty bitty little flowers.


Balsamroot.


Very faint trail through some overgrown scrub oak.


First glimpse.


WHOA!!!!! This is awesome!!!! It is definitely being reclaimed by nature, but is in surprisingly good condition.

That is interesting that only the portal on the left has the brick archway.


Panoramic.


The left portal still has the brick ceiling.


The middle portal does not, and is almost completely filled with debris.


The right portal is obscured by trees. We’ll come back to that.


Inside the middle portal.


Inside the left portal.

So with this particular limekiln, 3 portals shared 2 chimneys. He we are seeing some of the debris coming down where the final product, quicklime would come down from burning alternating layers of wood and lime in the chimneys above.

I am also pretty fascinated in the existing brick ceiling.


I am very curious what the divider between portals might look like.


Towards the back.


Obviously we are not the only people to have found our way here. Somebody has created a fire ring. However it does look a bit overgrown. I couldn’t guess the last time it was used.


The front again.


The side.

We tried climbing up to the top here, but the roof was collapsed enough that I didn’t feel safe up there and decided not to attempt it. I did find an alternate way of seeing that a little later though, so it is coming up.


A quick shot Landis caught.


The front again.


Panoramic.


Inside the right portal. This one has some of the brick roof left, and I noticed daylight coming through.


Neat! You can see some of the original chimney.


The back of the portal.


Inside the chimney again.


This is absolutely fascinating!



Chimney brick work.


Back of the portal again.


Middle portal again.


The front again.


From the side.


I found a side trail that appeared to be a safer way to reach the top.


Oh man, yeah, this thing is collapsing in on itself.


I didn’t want to get too close.


Panoramic.


More balsamroot.

Well, that is as much as I feel comfortable sharing. This is a really neat old piece of architecture and I am glad we scrambled, bushwhacked, wayfared, and made our way out to it. I hope the building can one day be restored, but for now it is super neat seeing it succumbing to nature. I’d give it a perfect 10, but I am removing 1 squirrel due to the rough nature of making our way out to it. 9 out of 10 squirrels.

As for difficulty, oh boy this was a bit of an adventure. Steep climbs, and bushwhacking. DR5.

Dogs are allowed, but they might not like it, o.O. Please clean up after your furry friends.

No comments: