Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Yellowstone 2008 – Day 4

Jul 9, 2008
Current mood:gallant

Of course, day 4, the first day I get to do some real exploring. I got up, got dressed, put on the back up cheap shoes to go smoke. Fully intending on changing to my hiking boots... Well that small important detail slipped my mind until we were like 40 miles into the park, when I suddenly realized the mistake. Too late now. We were almost to west thumb. West thumb is a very small section of hot springs, and what appear to be extinct geysers on the lake side. The geyser formations on the lake are really cool...

DSC_0301

DSC_0307

DSC_0317

Fishing Cone – Way back when people would fish next to this, then when they caught one they would just swing their line into this geyser and cook it, without having to wade back to shore.

DSC_0320

But other than that, I guess I see why this was always skipped on family vacations. Still neat, and it doesn't take much time to go down the trail, but yea, not too much exciting stuff to see.


So we head back towards The Lower Geyser Basin, and Old Faithful. We meet up with the family, and after a few shots of the…

DSC_0338

Historic Old Faithful lodge, we go to see, well, good Old Faithful.

DSC_0348

This is not the perspective you may be used to, its the far side. But I think with the wind conditions I chose a spot very well today. Odie wanted to see Morning Glory Pool, and we didn't make it that far last year so we went on down the trail towards that.

DSC_0356

Here is Castle Geyser. I guess I see why it is called that now.

DSC_0364

Grotto Geyser with better lighting, and from this angle it looks like a giant beast coming up from the ground. Really, really cool.

DSC_0369

Riverside Geyser... as you can see we didn't have the same luck we did last year with the eruptions.

DSC_0377

One of the unfortunate buffalo carcasses we found in the area. Which sparked a great debate. Odies thinks they drank the water and died, we even theorized they may have fallen in and stumbled out but still dies. Maybe a predator. My theory is, well the animals know this is a warmer area to be in, especially in winter, and these are just the ones that didn't make it.

DSC_0378

Morning Glory Pool. At one time this pool was the bluest blue, and due to the interior shape was shaped and had the color of a Morning Glory. Still not sure why they named it this… hehe. Anyway, due to people treating it as their personal wishing well, it has cooled somewhat and changed colors, not quite so much resembling its namesake. Still pretty though.


This is the furthest down this trail I had normally been. But apparently, as you will read on we were feeling adventurous today so we continued down the STILL VERY CLEARLY MARKED but not board walked path. Trust me, you are allowed to go down this path, they have signs, and if you didn't park at Old faithful it takes you all the way to the Biscuit Basin.. so anyway, now that I have established I was not breaking the law, nor being terribly foolish, I will continue.

DSC_0385

DSC_0390

DSC_0396

There were a lot of random little hot springs down this path you could walk right up to. The last one I put my hand above NOT IN the run off path to try and get a feel of the temp, and all the sudden 12 weird little insect jumped up onto my hand, it was the creepiest thing ever, or maybe I have seen too many sci fi movies. Either way it startled the hell out of me. The middle image above is a geyser that is named… can't think of it at the moment. I wish I could have gotten a better angle because it sits below a 12 foot cliff and it was cool. Anyway, we were parked by Old Faithful so we could not continue across the street to Biscuit Basin, and had to turn back.


Returning to Boardwalk and my sanity.(You have no idea how the sensation and utter fear of walking around active geyser trails and feeling yourself start to sink) anyway…

DSC_0418

We passed Giant Geyser – Which was pretty active today. Wooo.

DSC_0435

DSC_0434 
Sawmill Geyser (lower) and I can't verify right now, but I believe Truant Geyser (upper)


We finally got back to the car and took off towards the Black Sands Basin. But first, this.

DSC_0461 

Finally got that pic of the Buffalo in front of Geysers.

DSC_0470

Life can and does flourish around hot springs.

DSC_0472

Pretty colorful minerals running into a stream.

DSC_0494

We were walking down the boardwalk when we heard bubbling beneath our feat. You can just make out a small geyser bubbling directly under the boardwalk. Think they might need to rebuild this soon.

DSC_0506

Cliff Geyser

DSC_0513 

Normally life cannot survive…


Off to Biscuit Basin…

DSC_0526

Pretty Spring


There were a lot of cool springs on this trail, but, they are better seen in person. I do have more coming soon, but, well we took a detour. At the back end of this loop trail there was an off short to go to Mystic Falls, merely 1.4 miles again on non board walked trails. SURE why not. Actually am very glad we went. We ran across this unidentified creature:

DSC_0547

DSC_0552 
This small waterfall

DSC_0581 

and this large, I am guessing Mystic Falls. You can just make out the steam of a hot spring just above my head. This area well, lived up to its name for us. It was like our secret magical spot that no one else was anywhere near right now. It was definitely worth the adventure.

DSC_0598

DSC_0606

DSC_0607  

Mustard springs – beginning eruption, through end eruption. Note the fill up and drain process. Really cool.


Off to the Firehole Lake Drive loop again. Quick Breeze through:

DSC_0620

Great Fountain Geyser

DSC_0644

Landis above Hot Lake. A lot cooler this year than last, lotsa steam. This place is still magical to me.


On to Fountain Paint Pots

DSC_0660

The Trails name sake (Fountain Paint Pots)- A lot soupier….

DSC_0667

Red Spouter – Last year this was just a fumerole.

DSC_0671

Clepsydra Geyser -  Interesting lighting on this one.
We ventured down the road a bit and decided to see what might be down Fountain Flat Drive.


Some cute scenery, and then we noticed just a 1/3rd mile trail to Oro Calliente. Which sounded neat.

DSC_0687

DSC_0692

DSC_0689  

Before all of the light was completely gone we decided to take the quick one way drive through Firehole Canyon Drive which is the area that has the old swimming hole we used to swim in. Looking at the river today, I can't believe I ever got in that thing! Granted it usually slows by summer, and that is a calm area.. but YIKES.

DSC_0700

We finally make it home well after dark. My feet are KILLING me, I think I hiked a good 7 maybe 10 miles today, half board walked, half loose mountain terrain. I made a b-line for the hot tub while Landis cooked us some food. Hung out with my parents and Odie for a bit, then went to bed.

No comments: