Saturday, April 21, 2012

Ricks Creek

 

I stumbled upon this hike randomly, its very short, but very fun.

DSC_0851 

The trailhead I found ends at a neighborhood and you have to hike up this firebreak road I'd say oh 1500 feet or so, not too long.

DSC_0850

It does offer a nice view too.

DSC_0856

Here is the view from the top. See, not too much.

DSC_0862

After this you reach the proper dirt trail along the Bonneville Shoreline.

Update 2016: I recently returned and found a No Trespassing sign here. I don’t remember there being one here when I hiked on this trip. I didn’t have any trouble but I have seen some posts from people who had the cops called. To avoid the trouble, turn left on the firebreak rd. Follow that back down, then turn right at the creek and follow it up. It won’t add a lot to your trip, and you get a bonus extra waterfall too. Or, do what I did recently, and access it from Ford Canyon.

 DSC_0865

Some pretty flowers.

DSC_0866

Not much further at all you reach the creek.

DSC_0867

And start up the canyon.

DSC_0871

You get a little bit of forest before the roar of the falls tells you you are almost there.

DSC_0872

And get your first view.

DSC_0873

DSC_0886

As you can see from the other hiker this is not a very tall waterfall, buts its nice, and if, like him, you feel so inclined you can take a quick dip in.

DSC_0894 DSC_0895

I always like to try different shutter speeds on waterfalls. You catch different emotions so to speak. To the left you get more of the raw power. To the right you get more serenity.

DSC_0907

With the cascades below.

DSC_0909

I really wish I had brought my ND filter. It’s hard to get that whispy look in full sun without blowing it out.

 DSC_0965

A final look at the full falls with the cascades below.

DSC_0977

I liked the mossy rock.

DSC_0985 DSC_0990

Flowers with a view.

DSC_0998

I am pretty sure this is about as close as the Great Salt Lake gets to the mountains. From the bench to the lake.

Overall it is a short, easy trail. As long as the water isn’t running too quickly, I would say it is rather family friendly. Nice easy little trail to take when you don’t have a lot of time. I would give it a nice even 9 out of 10 squirrels. Only losing a point due to not being much more to it.

squirrels 9

No comments: