Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Living Room

 

After the long winter, feeling cooped up within the house, we finally got a weekend with good enough weather to venture into the mountains. Landis’s mom was feeling cooped up too so she asked to join us today. That said, I decided to research some easier trails. I stumbled upon a trail called The Living Room Trail. Apparently, someone, at some point, took rocks above Red Butte Gardens and built living room furniture out of them. Sounds interesting! Plus its not somewhere we have been yet so, here we go.

Directions: From the intersection with Foothill Drive, head east on Sunnyside Avenue. Go left onto Arapeen Drive to Chipeta Way. Go right on Chipeta Way, turn right onto Colorow Drive. Follow Colorow Drive around to the trailhead by the side of the road.

We got a little lost with the drive in, but eventually found the trail head and started our hike.

DSC_0535

Everything is still dead from winter, but it is still rather pretty. I imagine it is quite a bit better in the spring.

DSC_0537

You cross a really small stream.

DSC_0538

There’s still snow up on them thar hills!

DSC_0547

This is a different view of downtown.

DSC_0559

Sage and Craggle

DSC_0560

Well, this doesn’t look so bad!

DSC_0563

Now i’m a little concerned. The trail becomes littered with loose rocks.

DSC_0565

Interesting coloring.

DSC_0578

Interesting lines.

DSC_0580

Old wood

DSC_0583

This shot shows where we ended our hike. Middle left.

DSC_0588

More loose rocks

DSC_0599

Texture

DSC_0607

I started being captivated by this unique view of the valley and mountains.

DSC_0608

Sunlight

DSC_0612

Rock slide

DSC_0613 DSC_0614 DSC_0626 DSC_0675

We made it! (or so we thought)

DSC_0615

DSC_0616

There appears to be some lovely decor.

Aside from some rock formations, and some whimsical decor there wasn’t really much to this and I didn’t really understand what all the fuss was about. Upon returning home and looking it up again, I have come to the conclusion that we did not in fact find the living room. Oh well, it was still a lovely hike and I am happy we got out.

DSC_0620

More texture

 DSC_0621

Another shot of the mountains.

DSC_0623DSC_0637 

With a stack of rocks

  DSC_0624

Discarded flask

DSC_0627

Landis likes to climb.

DSC_0631

I like the twigs on the ridge, backlit by the sun.

DSC_0648

Pioneer Park below.

DSC_0661

Rocks and Brush

DSC_0666

The SL Valley below. We still have our typical winter haze.

DSC_0672

This rock formation reminded me of Alien.

DSC_0678

What I incorrectly dubbed as The Upper Living Room

DSC_0689

Found this little guy enjoying the view.

DSC_0703

On the way back down, this small portion of the trail still had ice.

DSC_0711

Downtown again.

So, I thought we had made it to the Living Room, Instead, we found some other section copy cats tried to make. I am so dubbing The Parlor. So, a return visit is in order eventually. I would like to actually find this interesting work of art.

Final rating: Well, due to not reaching the proper goal, I cannot give it a final rating. I will say, I would NOT have marked this as an easy trail. It is pretty tame, but definitely has some sections that are tough, and has sections of scrambling over loose rocks. I also would not recommend doing this on a hot day, as there was not much shelter from the sunlight.

No comments: