Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Transit Of Venus

 

I had been anticipating this once in a lifetime event for a couple weeks now. I watched in horror this morning as a big wall of clouds blew over the valley. I anxiously watched the skies, and restlessly checked the weather maps hoping that there would be a clearing and was losing all hope. This wont happen again for over 100 years, well past my expected lifetime and I am going to miss it because of a storm that isn’t even going to give us rain. I was not pleased.

On my way home from work I noticed a gap in the wall of clouds on the horizon.

DSC_0178

From what I could tell the sun still had some time to set in the west before getting near there so I tried to busy myself before heading out to a better viewing area than my yard.

There is a little trail head by my house that over looks the flat land in front of Antelope Island so I took off out there.

Copy of DSC_0176

After waiting in the cold for about an hour, it looks like the sun is almost ready to come out. Come on little buddy!

Copy of DSC_0188

Success!!! We have transit!!!

Copy of DSC_0237

I was a little surprised it was so tiny! But if I really use my brain and think about it, that makes sense, I guess I was just hoping it would be a bit bigger.

Copy of DSC_0199

Copy of DSC_0242

And then it started going behind some clouds again, but I kind of like how these turned out as well.

To capture these shots I used the same custom rig I made to capture the eclipse we had a few weeks ago, which was a cardboard sleeve affixed to one of my lens filters, with the solar filter fitted in. Using a tripod, I then dialed in the same settings I used with the eclipse. I snapped a few pictures, reviewed what I got on the screen, made some adjustments and eventually thought about using my remote shutter to reduce movement of my tripod. I am rather pleased with the results.

DSC_0243

and back behind another bank of clouds. I got about 15-20 minutes to enjoy this amazing event, and I am so happy and thankful that I got that. This was seriously the coolest thing ever!

No comments: