Monday, June 25, 2012

Return to Silver Lake

 

Today my plan was to hike Donut Falls, then picnic at Moss Ledge and then explore around Moss Ledge. As we drove up the canyon I discovered moss ledge was closed for re-vegetation. It was closed last year when I tried due to flooding so I was kind of mad, but accepted it. So, after we hiked Donut Falls, I decided we could go up to Silver Lake again to picnic and explore.

DSC_0397

We had to park across the street in the general stores parking lot, where I snapped this nice picture. The picnic areas were full, so we decided to just walk around the boardwalk.

DSC_0398

Even with the sun flair (I really need to use my lens shade more often) I like this shot.

DSC_0399

Pretty shot of the peaks.

DSC_0403

As we walked down the boardwalk, I looked out towards the lake, and spotted this moose! Landis and I’s stopping to take pictures had gathered another group, which was helpful, as you will understand in a minute. They were either non-local, or locals who don’t get up into the mountains much. They asked us if that was a moose, we said yes that is definitely a moose. But it doesn’t have antlers, is it not the season for anthers? No, it is, but I think that is a lady moose. Confused look. Only male moose have antlers. Still confused look. More questions when…

DSC_0407

I was starting to kick myself for not bringing my telephoto lens this trip. I thought about it, then went, meh, where we are going I wont need it.

DSC_0408

DSC_0410

Turns out I didn’t need it, as the moose started galloping right towards us!!!

DSC_0411

DSC_0413

DSC_0414

DSC_0415

Majestic!

DSC_0416

I am not going to lie, I nearly peed myself. Of all my exploring, I have never had a moose come charging at me before, and it was really nerve wrecking. Moose are MEAN animals.

DSC_0418

After galloping towards, and then passing us it stopped and stared us down. About this point I was starting to get really nervous, the other group of obvious non-natives who asked us if this was a moose, were still asking us questions, as we were backing away. Again, not going to lie, I appreciated that they stayed put, and I strategically placed them between us and the moose at this point.

DSC_0420

I really thought it was going to charge us, but it ended up crossing the boardwalk (the sound of it’s hooves on it was spectacular!) and then disappeared into the woods. I heard it splashing into the creek, and would have loved to get pictures of that, but in order to do that I would have had to be about where it crossed.

DSC_0426

Adrenaline still rushing a bit, we continued around the lake. The beaver dam is still there!

DSC_0429

DSC_0430

DSC_0433

DSC_0436

Last time we were here, we hiked up there. This time we just wanted to walk around the lake.

DSC_0437

DSC_0441

I loved these flowers.

DSC_0443

DSC_0445

Duckies!!!

DSC_0447

DSC_0453

Chipmunk!

DSC_0456

DSC_0459

I have wonderful, fond memories as a kid playing around this area. My parents took us all the time. It is absolutely gorgeous and is very family friendly. Well, if you don’t run into a moose that is. One of these days we need to go fishing up here. I think it’d be great.

DSC_0462

Returning down to the valley I see the fire in Saratoga Springs is still blowing in to our valley. DBP shot through a very dirty windshield.

Last time I was here I gave this trail 8 squirrels. Considering the close up I got of the moose today, I am going to upgrade that 8 to a 9.

squirrels 9

No comments: