Thursday, July 5, 2012

Snowbird’s Barrier Free Trail

 

For the 4th of July my family rented a room at Snowbird to just have a base camp in the wilderness to have fun, swim and do whatever. We did this for Mothers Day earlier and had so much fun we did it again.

DSC_0791

Heading up Fort Union I couldn’t help but notice the scar on the side of the mountain. They let a developer build here. From what I have read the original agreement, much to the dismay of the residents, was to build low level condos. Now he is fighting to build high rises. It just pisses me off. Look at that scar!!! And now imagine it filled with buildings! This is actually at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, and Snowbird is in Little cottonwood Canyon.

DSC_0792

And here is Little Cottonwood. I want you to take note of the skies here. I thought for sure the Quail Fire was going to be a problem for us today, but right about here it was looking like they had it under control.

DSC_0793

Every time I drive up this canyon, I notice this waterfall. I have yet to determine what it is called, or if there is a trail that gets to it. All I know so far is that is is .25 to .5 miles below tanners flat campground.

DSC_0837

Yep. I have an almost identical photograph from Mothers Day (both DBP Album)

cottonwoods_terrain

I did find this random image of the canyon with the water systems and am leaning towards it being the Red Pine Fork, but am still unsure.

DSC_0794

As we were parking I noticed this flower across the street. As soon as we had it parked I was out taking a picture of it.

DSC_0795

After playing in the pool for a while we noticed everything turn orange and looked up to see this. I was seriously worried a fire had broken out in the canyon we were in. From what I can tell, the wind must have shifted directions and we were now seeing the Quail Fire. Not long after this it was all gone again.

DSC_0797

Pretty stream next to the hotel.

Okay we had a lot of fun in the hotel with the family, but being surrounded by all this nature and not playing in it was starting to drive me bonkers! We finally asked for a trail map and due to how late it was in the day decided to do the short .5 mile Barrier Free Interpretive Trail. Its an easy, paved path that you can even take a wheelchair on.

DSC_0802

Which this terrible shot with a cute chipmunk shows.

DSC_0803

Nice shot up the mountain.

DSC_0807

I had been waiting to get a shot of the other side of the canyon without a hotel in it. I got it, but the smoke kind of blew it out.

DSC_0811

At the end of the short trail is a little platform that offers an impressive view down the valley.

DSC_0813

And a view up the canyon. From back here the hotels seem much less intrusive than they really are.

DSC_0814

Because I am a rebel I went beyond the path a bit. I would have continued on to a stream I saw if Landis hadn’t pointed out that we would have to climb back up, and that we could drive to it. Meh, still wish we’d gone for it cause we never drove to it.

DSC_0816

DSC_0817

DSC_0821

DSC_0823

Lots of wildflowers!

DSC_0818

Well, how bout that a nice little sign to help me identify them.

DSC_0824

DSC_0825

I cant remember what this is, I wanna say I remember being warned to never ever touch it as a kid, It’s not stinging Nettle… hrm. Either way it’s pokey, keep my distance, but very pretty.

DSC_0826

The Little Cottonwood Creek from the bridge.

DSC_0829

Pretty orange flower. I thought I spotted yellow monkey flowers, which I was not aware grew here but I didn’t get a picture. Kind of kicking myself for that.

DSC_0831

Rather stunning shot driving down the canyon. (DBP)

Wonderful day followed by an amazing evening.

Okay, so the trail, the trail. Super easy, we did it in a half hour. It’s paved, mostly flat, and can be traversed in a wheelchair. Loads of wildflowers, but unfortunately even though the first sigh said: “Take a walk on the wild side” it was just a bit too pedestrian for me. The interpretive signs were cool though. I like gaining random knowledge of my surroundings. Meh. Torn. I think I am going to have to go with a 6. It just was not wild enough for me. Don’t get me wrong, if you are up in Snowbird, yea, go for it. but definitely do not go out just to do this.

squirrels 6

No comments: