Monday, July 22, 2013

Oregon Coast 2013 Day 1 and 2

 

I had originally planned on doing the southern coast as well as The Redwoods this year, however between planning it with a large group and waiting too long we could not find a place to accommodate all of us except up north in Lincoln City. No worries, I do love the mid-northern coast, even if we have done it a few times now.

Day one consisted of the drive through Idaho and into Oregon. We typically stay in Baker City as our halfway point but it was booked solid this year for a bikers convention.

DSC_0786

I love the mountains just north of Ogden. (Drive By Photography (DBP) Album)

DSC_0790

Burnt section somewhere in northern Utah. (DBP)

DSC_0796

Yellow fields and clouds.

DSC_0806

DSC_0804

DSC_0807

The 1st rest stop just across the Idaho border has these beautiful flowers.

DSC_0821

Other than that, this is pretty much Idaho. Blah. (DBP) There is some pretty if you know where to look for it, but it is all off highway.

DSC_0825

Snake River. (DBP) I believe we are in Oregon now.

DSC_0828

Creepy abandoned house.

We made it to La Grande which is about an hour past Baker City. You know, now that this trip is over I think this is the preferred method. Shoot for about an hour past halfway. The 2nd day of just driving is always a little rougher, so taking an hour off of it is worth it.

DSC_0844

Some elk at the beginning of the Blue Mountains.(DBP)

DSC_0852

The view coming down from Dead Mans Pass. (DBP)

DSC_0854

Towards the bottom of the mountains. The horizon here freaks me out. It looks like the world just comes to an abrupt end.

Copy of DSC_0858

I had the crop the image in a little but, but you can just make out Mt St Helens from here. I am pretty sure this is Mt. St. Helens because it looks flat topped, but it could be Mt. Hood. Either way we’re only about.. 150 miles away. Wow.

DSC_0860

First glimpse of the Columbia River. (DBP)

Copy of DSC_0862

Again very faint, but now I can definitely tell I am looking at Mount Hood. We are still over 100 miles away this is just awesome.

DSC_0868

Getting closer it is a lot more visible.(DBP)

DSC_0874

Cool old train bridge over the Columbia. (DBP)

DSC_0876

Mount Hood (DBP)

DSC_0880

You get a quick glimpse of Mt. St. Helens from Hood River.

DSC_0884

The Columbia. (DBP)

DSC_0896

We hit The Multnomah Falls area again. We opted not to visit Multnomah Falls itself this year as I had other plans. This is Wahkeena Falls from the trail head.

DSC_0899

Some pretty flowers in the stream below.

DSC_0905

DSC_0908

The trail up to Wahkeena Falls is very pretty.

DSC_0918

Wahkeena Falls.

DSC_0921

The stream below it.

DSC_0924

The falls above the falls.

DSC_0923

And the falls proper.

Last year I was hoping to see Fairy Falls and I was certain they are located above this waterfall, however there is no trail marker for it and I forgot my trail guide so we hiked up a bit past this and then I got confused and wasn’t sure so we turned back. This year I came prepared. Not only did I know for certain it was here, I had a map!

DSC_0931

Pretty moss covered wall.

DSC_0934

This flower has a star shaped wispy faze.

DSC_0936

View of the Columbia.

DSC_0937

Old sign. We discovered the trail to the left was closed most likely indefinitely.

DSC_0938

This trail is really pretty.

DSC_0941

DSC_0942

Moss.

DSC_0948

Switchbacks. Oi. I counted 12 for the first section before the overlook.

DSC_0951

DSC_0953

After the rough UP switch backs, and opting to do the overlook later, we made it to a forested gorge.

DSC_0958

It follows the pretty creek. I love trails that follow a creek.

DSC_0960

DSC_0963

The creek is absolutely beautiful!

DSC_0973

The trail has switched from paved to natural.

DSC_0977

DSC_0979

Mess of roots.

DSC_0980

DSC_0982

For a brief moment I thought we had reached Fairy Falls, this was absolutely gorgeous!!! But, we weren’t quite there yet. This is where is where 2 separate creeks join.

DSC_0985 

Just up one more switchback, I rounded the corner and there was an audible gasp. Holy crap this is a pretty waterfall. At only 20 feet it doesn't seem like much against all the other waterfalls in the area but wow! it is just stunning.

DSC_0988

DSC_0993

It falls over columnar basalt and fans out. this is truly a pretty waterfall.

DSC_0998

I wish I had not caught it in full sun, but I will take what I get.

DSC_0001

Just WOW look at those cascades!

DSC_0005

Beautiful.

DSC_0017

DSC_0025

I think this is my new favorite waterfall in this area. Compared to most it is tiny, but it is just amazingly beautiful and definitely worth the hike at about 1.3 miles strait up.

DSC_0027

And it isn’t even the main creek.

DSC_0033

Back the the area below.

DSC_0040

Pretty flowers.

DSC_0042

DSC_0044

DSC_0045

Pretty cascades.

DSC_0076

Pretty flower.

DSC_0080

DSC_0092

DSC_0100

Orange raspberries?

DSC_0096

Giant clover!

DSC_0107

Pretty forest shot.

DSC_0113

Moss and water.

 DSC_0118

DSC_0130

View from the lookout below.

DSC_0138

DSC_0144

Pretty flowers.

DSC_0148

Different angle back down at Wahkeena Falls.

DSC_0161

And the paved trail below.

DSC_0162

A view on the road below.

DSC_0164

Wahkeena Creek. The falls are hidden behind the trees. I think that rock outcropping to the left is where the view point is.

I really love this area and one day I would like to claim that I have seen all of the many waterfalls it has to offer. Ticked another one off this year, but it was time we got on down the road.

DSC_0178

Nearing Portland you get another glimpse of Mt St. Helens. (DBP)

DSC_0180

DSC_0181

We reached the coast! Here is the lovely view from our back deck.

DSC_0184

Well this was a surprise. We thought we were right on the beach. They were pretty creative with their photos and description! Meh, no matter. We’ve stayed on the cliff before and there is beach below us this time.

DSC_0186

DSC_0188

175 steps later we reached the beach. It is basically deserted round here so that is a nice benefit.

Copy of DSC_0187

I was fairly certain this was not just another seagull. Didn’t have my telephoto so this is a crop of the original image, but yep. That would be a bald eagle. That’s pretty cool!

DSC_0189

DSC_0200

Cool texture!

DSC_0194

We even have some sea rocks.

DSC_0195

Beautiful ocean.

DSC_0201

Every little object has a sand tail as the wind blows the sand away.

DSC_0203

Windswept beach.

DSC_0209

DSC_0213

Another pretty sunset shot.

DSC_0224

Venus setting.

Copy of DSC_0227

I love the moonlight reflected off the ocean.

DSC_0239

You can see quite a few more stars here then back home, and I think I even spy some of the Milky Way here.

Already a good start to our vacation! There is plenty more to share with you, so be sure to come back.

No comments: