Thursday, July 25, 2013

Oregon Coast 2013 Days 3 and 4

 

Days 1 and 2: The drive through Idaho, Multnomah Falls, and Arrival at the beach.

Day 3: Monday.

DSC_0243

DSC_0249

Started the day within a blanket of fog. I love fog so it doesn’t ruin the sunny beach vacation for me.

DSC_0252

Ghosts on the beach.

We frittered most of today away relaxing from the long drive in our room, enjoying the sound of the ocean and the fog. After a while I finally decided we should do SOMETHING with our time here and I remember seeing a little forested area down the street and seeing a trail down into it. So we decided to go check that out.

DSC_0253

Of course the fog lifted by that point. Kind of wish I had done it while it was still foggy.Oh well, so we walked down the street and found the trail.

DSC_0288

It is named. Agnes Creek. Okay.

DSC_0254

DSC_0255

Really dense forest here. Would have been awesome in the fog! Look how thin the trail is? I would guess only locals and the occasional adventurous vacationer staying in this neighborhood use it.

DSC_0257

Tall trees.

DSC_0259

DSC_0262

Random structure.

DSC_0263

I think the creek is just beyond those bushes, but we couldn’t find a trail, and we were worried the bushes might be in the creek itself.

DSC_0267

Pretty purple mushroom.

DSC_0268

I love the way the moss hangs off the trees here.

DSC_0269

This is coming back up. Do you see the trail? Yea it was really faint.

DSC_0271

I just love being in the woods. I honestly think we may have spent more time tromping through various woods than frolicking on the beach this year, but that’s okay because I think I am much happier in the woods.

DSC_0274

Thin trail over a mossy log.

DSC_0275

DSC_0278

We found a side trail that went the other direction. This after I suspected there was one that direction even though we had lost it for a second.

DSC_0284

It didn’t go very far so we returned to the main little canyon.

DSC_0286

I really like this view up.

Okay, very short trail system (or the trails just got too thin and we couldn’t pick them up again) but it is a beautiful little forested area.

After getting a quick hike in, we decided to check out the beach again, however we (I) really didn’t like the stairs so we drove down the road about 5 blocks to where the public beach access is.

DSC_0291

DSC_0293

The first thing I noticed is that I think this is where Agnes Creek lets out into the ocean. Okay, we saw the creek in the end. :)

Copy of DSC_0292

And I thought our 175 steps were bad. This house has a ladder and then what? Run down the steep cliff? Meep!

DSC_0297

I like this shot of Landis walking into the ocean.

DSC_0296

View of the waves.

Copy of DSC_0304

Oh look the eagle is back, and again I don’t have my telephoto handy.

Okay, today was a little too chilly and windy to play on the beach. We returned to the car before long.

The family decided to go out to eat, and after much deliberation we ended up at Dory Cove. I absolutely loved what Landis ordered (Shrimp Alfredo) but really didn’t care for what I got. (Beer battered Cod). We also showed up with a large group of 13 and they managed to accommodate us quickly during dinner rush and the service was great. So they are not completely ruled out and we might give them another chance.

DSC_0308

We made it home just in time to see what might be the first sunset without a wall of clouds in the way.

DSC_0314

Gorgeous glowing waves and wind swept beach.

DSC_0320

DSC_0329

The sun sinking behind the ocean. I finally, after what, 4 years, get to see this.

The whole family had gathered in the living room to watch this. When it started, I moved out to the porch to get a few shots that weren’t through the window. Apparently, they all got distracted by something else and hadn’t noticed it started. Quick tip: If yall are waiting for something pretty to start, if the guy who really like to takes pictures moves, it is probably starting. o.O. I do feel bad for not saying anything, I just assumed they were all paying at least enough attention to see it as well.

DSC_0354

Awesome array of colors here.

Copy of DSC_0355

Not as good, but this one has Venus.

Day 4: Tuesday.

Today I decided I wanted to get in the one thing I had planned on and was looking forward to doing. Since I didn’t get directions to a hike I had wanted to, this was my next best adventure. It is a short little trail system around a 400 year old spruce that is 35 feet around. The trail is called Regatta Grounds Nature Trail and is is on the north end of Regatta Park.

DSC_0360

DSC_0362

The trail starts out very pretty and green. We quickly discovered it to be a huge maze of interconnecting trails. I was hoping I was choosing wisely.

DSC_0364

And there it is. I did choose wisely! This is a really large tree, although not as large as the Giant Spruce near Cape Meares.

DSC_0372

DSC_0375

Its pretty freakin huge though!

DSC_0378

Couple different angles.

DSC_0383

All of the trails I saw in the trail guide were marked moderately difficult, and I found them all to be fairly easy. I think they consider all of the roots in the trails as difficult. I guess if you don’t look down they are a hazard, but really, just watch your step and these trails are easy peasey.

DSC_0384

Whoops, the trail I chose let us out to the road, okay, we’ll back track a bit.

DSC_0388

Again, I am just so happy to be in the woods.

DSC_0391

Holy spiderwebs batman!

DSC_0392

These 2 trees have 1 giant root system.

DSC_0393

DSC_0394

Not nearly as big as the other one, but still pretty darn big.

DSC_0397

DSC_0399

DSC_0405

DSC_0406

More pretty forest shots.

DSC_0415

There is a really cool metal dinosaur sculpture at the entrance to Regatta Park.

Another trail I thought about doing was the Spring Lake Trail. As we were driving back, I thought I had spotted the trail head. As Landis was trying to turn around, we spotted a parking lot by another trail head, so, why not we’ll check it out.

DSC_0416

It’s pretty enough.

DSC_0418

Paved even.

DSC_0419

DSC_0421

DSC_0423

Loads of wildflowers.

Before long we determined this to be a neighborhood connector trail. I swear I saw a sign saying this was a trail, what gives?

DSC_0426

Back at said sign, oh! there is a faint trail down.

DSC_0428

DSC_0429

Okay, this is more my speed.

DSC_0432

And here is the lake.

DSC_0435

A random crow.

DSC_0439

Small lake, but rather pretty.

DSC_0440

Pretty forest.

DSC_0452

View up.

DSC_0455

Trail back.

DSC_0457

Butterfly.

DSC_0458

Big trees, small pinecones.

Meh, short trail to Port Lake but its pretty and I am really enjoying tromping through the woods.

We decided to head back towards the hotel.

DSC_0461

DSC_0462

I had one last stop in mind though. I noticed there was a parking lot above the beach access down the road from us so I decided to check it out. Here is Agnes Creek in all it’s glory.

DSC_0463

Look how clear it is!

Copy of DSC_0473

WHOA! Bright red dragonfly! Look at that magnificent beast!

You know I have stayed in Lincoln City twice now, and depot bay twice as well, and I have desperately sought nearby hikes with no luck. And this year, I am just finding tons! So, they exist, you just have to know where to look for them.

Our next destination we were waiting on high tide as that is when it is best viewed.

So an hour and a half south to Cape Perpetua. We had done it before, but Ma really wanted to see it so we decided to do it again.

DSC_0479

Again, the visitor center was closed. It closes at 5 and we always arrive after 5. But it did have this cool whale statue.

DSC_0482

Foggy cliffs above.

DSC_0488

DSC_0489

The spouting horn is REALLY going!

DSC_0544

DSC_0571

Here it is with Cooks Chasm Bridge

DSC_0599

Woo, that’s a good one!

DSC_0623

Thor’s Well.

We decided to go to Devil’s Churn and come back in about a half hour for High Tide.

DSC_0709

Fog and trees.

DSC_0711

The trail down offers this gnarly tree.

DSC_0723

Devils Churn. It is just a long narrow fissure that the waves go crashing through, but its pretty cool.

DSC_0729

Here is the back end of it. Huh, even at high tide it doesn’t splash up as high as I thought it would.

DSC_0737

Above the churn.

Ma couldn’t make it down and we didn’t want to leave her alone for too long so we came back up, and wondered back to the spouting horn.

DSC_0764

Wow, crazy people! I would never use a log to cross a chasm next to a raging ocean here.

DSC_0783

DSC_0791

Decided to get a little creative with long exposures.

DSC_0835

DSC_0842

DSC_0844

Thor’s Well.

DSC_0854

Close up of the spouting horn.

Oh! I have video again.

Okay I always spend a lot of time here because well, this is probably the most fascinating thing in the area. But it is time to head home.

DSC_0862

Pretty little bird.

DSC_0863

I love these gorgeous purple flowers that seem to grow everywhere up here.

DSC_0867

Bridge near Waldport. (DBP)

DSC_0871

Bridge near Newport. Quite a bit higher. (DBP)

DSC_0873

Foggy bend. (DBP)

DSC_0876

I forget which river this is. (DBP)

I just love the Cape Perpetua area. So much to see and do, and this year I learned there is an old grove trail as well. Didn’t have time to hike it, but if we return, there is a new adventure to do.

Due to how late it was we just found some fast food for dinner and ended the evening playing poker with my dad and my brothers.

DSC_0884

One last image, which came out terrible due to my lens fogging up. But this is the transistor just outside our building. It kept sparking and popping all night. I never saw this before so I don’t know if this is normal on the coast but it was very strange to see.

Wonderful day today was. Still a couple days left of adventuring to share, but this post is quite long so we’ll end it here.

No comments: