Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Elephant Rock

 

I have hiked up Mueller Park several times but due to one thing or another I have never made it to Elephant Rock. Well, today was going to be the day that we change that!

Mueller Park is located in Bountiful. From I15, take exit 315 (Bountiful 2600 S) east towards the mountain. 2600 s eventually becomes Orchard Dr. Take this to 1800 S and turn right. Follow that all the way up to the sign. Mueller Park is a fee park, but this hike is before the ranger/fee station (cross the bridge on the right just before the station).

Since I have been so many times I didn’t take a whole lot of pictures for the first section. From what I read it is 3.2 miles to Elephant Rock, and about 1000 feet of elevation gain. I think you do most of the elevation gain in the first quarter mile, and then it evens out and is a very gradual slope after that.

DSC_0197

For a minute here I was worried we might get rained on.

DSC_0202

There is elephant rock on the right.

DSC_0204

Small section full of ferns.

DSC_0209

A little closer to the rock.

DSC_0210

And the pipeline scar.Still ugly, and frankly, starting to look like a fire hazard.

Well this officially marks about the highest we have been and as I later learned this is almost exactly halfway to the rock.

DSC_0215

The forest as we curve back into another side canyon. The rock looks a lot closer than it is because the trail hooks back in and out of several side canyons.

DSC_0216

More forest.

DSC_0219

Very slow trickle of a creek.

DSC_0218

With a random bug filled hole.

DSC_0222

Looking less like we’re going to get rained on.

DSC_0225

Looking back at the scar. Definitely the highest we have been.

DSC_0227

Some wildflowers.

DSC_0229

We startled off a BUNCH of grasshoppers here. I managed to catch this little straggler.

DSC_0230

DSC_0231

Another large caterpillar nest. These are just weird.

DSC_0235

Getting closer! It’s just right there, shouldn’t be much further.

DSC_0237

Except we’re going back into a side canyon. Crap!

DSC_0239

Trail on the other side. Ho boy, we still have a ways to go.

DSC_0243

Blue berries of some sort.

DSC_0248

Interesting red berry.

DSC_0249

The hills above.

DSC_0256

Pretty white flowers.

DSC_0258

DSC_0259

Side stream. I believe this is called Right Fork Mill Creek. The good thing about popular trails, people build bridges. The bad news, lots of people.

DSC_0265

DSC_0266

Strange flower.. has purple blossoms weird cottony fluff. Never seen one like this before.

DSC_0267

Yellow flower.

DSC_0269

Small field of these guys. Every time I see one I tend to look for another crazy spider like I saw at Stewart Cascades.

DSC_0270

Close up. Weird looking flower.

DSC_0271

Another side stream.

DSC_0275

DSC_0280

Another foot bridge. This one is over a spring that bubbles up next to the trail here. This is a sign you are almost there.

DSC_0286

Cool trees.

DSC_0290

The trail is really easy here on out.

DSC_0295

Another nice flower.

A little further up there is an obvious trail split. Luckily I read a review that said stay to the left. To the right, the trail continues another 10 miles to a valley and other things.

DSC_0296

And just a few steps down we are rewarded with this amazing view. There were a few other hikers taking the view in here.

DSC_0297

And that would be Elephant Rock. I didn’t realize the trail would take us up above it.

DSC_0299

The little trail down to the rock was really steep. I made it about 1/3rd of the way down (where I took this) before decided it wasn’t worth fighting to climb back up just to go stand on a rock.

DSC_0301

Another view of it.

After scrambling back up to the main trail, we decided to rest and catch our breaths. Eventually, the other hikers decided to return down the trail so we had the place to ourselves for a minute.

DSC_0305

DSC_0311

A couple of benches built by local boy scout troops. As angry and disappointed I am with their attitude towards LGBT people, and until that changes I will never support them, I do appreciate some of the things they do for us nature lovers though.

DSC_0308

DSC_0310

View from the benches. Overcast day, great for hiking, terrible for landscape shots.

DSC_0313

The entire trail down to the rock.

elepant rock stitch

Quick panoramic.

DSC_0326

Landis and Elephant Rock.

We decided it was time to start heading back. Just in time, because as we were returning to the main trail we passed another set of hikers heading towards the rock.

DSC_0329

This weird bark shedding still kind of freaks me out.

DSC_0331

Another boardwalk.

DSC_0333

And here is the one by the spring.

DSC_0337

Well, it didn’t turn out like I had hoped, but the spring is bubbling up right here.

DSC_0344

Nice view down the canyon.

DSC_0350

Here you can see the bike trails, any chance they get they make little side ramps to fly up. This trail is very popular with bikers. I would say about half follow the rule of yielding to hikers. Of course, knowing that they are traveling faster than me, I tend to just step to the side if I hear them anyway.

DSC_0357

Better shot of a grasshopper.

DSC_0359

Back to the scar. According to my pedometer app, this is 1.7 miles from the benches, so yea, pretty much halfway.

DSC_0362

View back up the canyon. Perhaps one day I will backpack up the 13 mile trail to see what is up there.

DSC_0364

Another shot of the forest and trail.

DSC_0366

A couple of the tree’s seem to have started autumn early.

DSC_0377

Black acorns. Neither of us have seen acorns this color.

DSC_0381

Random structures up a small side trail.

DSC_0385

Nearing the end of the trail, getting steeper.

DSC_0388

For the most part the trail is fairly even hard packed earth. There are a couple of sections that are rocky, but not a lot.

DSC_0390

Mill creek is just a trickle this late in the year. Reaching the creek signifies we have neared the trail head.

IMG_3209

My pedometer app shows a little more than 3.2 miles, but I backtracked a little bit a few times, and did quick side trail so I think 3.2 miles to Elephant Rock is fairly accurate. Also, the app shows the scar approximately half way.

Copy of DSC_0392

Driving out of the park and out of the neighborhood Landis spotted this dear munching on this home owners trees. So, we technically saw wildlife today. Hah!

I am really glad we finally made it to Elephant Rock, however, I am disappointed we couldn’t get to it. The view at the end was great, but if I hike 3.2 miles I kind of expect something more. The trail was pretty crowded, with tons of mountain bikers, most of which not yielding to hikers. There were also a pair of motorcycles that should not have been on the trail. It is a very pretty trail, and after the initial switchbacks it is a fairly easy jaunt in the woods. Finally getting to the rock bumps it up, however factoring everything in I really must go down to 7 squirrels.

squirrels 7

As for difficulty, I think this falls under my DR3. It was steep in the beginning, but then fairly flat. The trail is well packed, and mostly even earth with just a few rocky parts. There are a couple steep slopes, but nothing that made me too nervous. However, watch out for bikers!

No comments: