Tuesday, August 13, 2013

SLC Zombie Walk

 

Okay I know I typically only post hikes in pretty natural areas, but this was technically a hike, it was over a mile. The pretty natural area, only replaced by downtown and as you will see soon an unfortunate fire out west provided the perfect ambiance for a zombie outbreak. So sit back and enjoy some zombies with me!

The SLC Zombie Walk is on it’s 6th annual year but this is the first year we have done it.

DSC_0636

We met up with Erika and her family. Those munchkins sure look cute.

DSC_0639

While we waited for the walk to begin, death showed up.

DSC_0645

I like the brain in a bag haha.

DSC_0648

And we’re off!

DSC_0650

DSC_0651

ZOMBIES!!! I had the good fortune of being near this guy on the stilts (whom I believe is one of the Fear Factory actors) He proved to be very photogenic.

DSC_0655

Survivors built a make shift shelter against the ensuing hoard.

DSC_0656

There was a wildfire out west today. I am in no way taking anything away from how awful fires are, but it did provide some great end of the world, zombie apocalypse atmosphere.

DSC_0659

More zombies.

DSC_0664

Uhm… I think this guy is combining the Undie Run and the Zombie Walk. Meh to be fair, people die in all sorts of states. Who’s to say he didn’t get attacked in bed?

DSC_0666

The sun went behind the wall of smoke.

DSC_0668

More zombies. Not sure if you can see it, but I like the coach? His eye ball is hanging out of the socket. Nice gruesome touch.

DSC_0672

There is just something cute, yet creepy as hell about kid zombies. They were very popular with the photographers today.

DSC_0674

I think this costume was inspired by Silent Hill. Pretty cool.

DSC_0678

Red sun.

DSC_0681

Zombie Missionary. Pretty sure you would only see those in a Utah Zombie Walk.

DSC_0689

Cool samurai just out of reach from tall zombie guy.

DSC_0692

See? End of the world brought to you by nature.

DSC_0693

I just love the red red sun.

DSC_0694

DSC_0695

Uh-oh! I think you might need a longer stick!

DSC_0698

Oh no! The survivors got the kids! Haha this was the best part. Good clean fun… well maybe not clean, that blood is sticky!

DSC_0700

Stilts Zombie was commenting on how at least it was not sweltering this year. I said yea, it’s really unfortunate why, but its kind of nice. He looked at me funny and asked what I was talking about. Pointed to the smoke. There appears to be a large fire going. He (obviously too into character) had not noticed!

DSC_0701

I think this is my favorite photo from the entire day. No photo-shopping. End of the world skies brought to me by nature. You couldn’t plan this! And that is why it is so awesome. Right place, right time, right conditions and had a charismatic zombie with an excellent makeup job.

DSC_0702

Another red sun shot.

DSC_0710

A priest and his nuns. Man, people sure get creative with their costumes.

DSC_0717

This one was fun.

DSC_0719

Get the survivors!

DSC_0723

DSC_0725

DSC_0726

Zombies.

DSC_0729

DSC_0730

And some people do just… weird stuff. haha.

DSC_0734

Zombie Task Force.

DSC_0735

Ick. The smoke is getting really bad.

DSC_0736

A really good Freddie. Must be another actor from Fear Factory. He actually gave me chills as his finger knives were real metal and sliding it against the banister there… right out of the freakin movie. That’s just creepy dude.

DSC_0737

LOL Redrock, bloody zombies.

DSC_0739

Another… creature I believe to be inspired by Silent Hill.

DSC_0740

These guys were cracking me up.

DSC_0741

More zombies.

DSC_0742

The Fear Factory bus.

DSC_0744

This guy is pretty cool looking.

DSC_0746

Yikes! That is a big fire! I hope its just the grasslands and no structures. (DBP)

So that was a lot of fun and I am glad we did it. A fun way to get your Halloween fix in early. It ended up being about 1.6 miles paved, so not at all difficult and my fear of it being too crowded was not a problem. The multiple traffic lights help thin it into manageable groups. Also, I think the people downtown who did not expect to run into a hoard of zombies, really enjoyed the random novelty. So, if you like the macabre, and want a fun family activity this is a cool option. I really enjoyed myself.

No comments: