Tuesday, February 25, 2014

BST: Parrish Creek to Barnard Creek

 

It was a glorious spring like day today so we decided to go for a quick hike.

I wanted something rather easy so I thought we would finally check out the Bonneville Shoreline Trail section between Parrish Creek and Barnard Creek.

To get here take i15 to exit 319 (Parrish Ln.) in Centerville. Take Parrish Ln all the way east until it ends. From there take a left and follow the thin road up around to a dirt parking lot. Park, and find the trailhead at the north end of the parking lot near a prominent sign. You can either follow that up and take the first trail split left, or you can continue down the ATV rd as that is what the trail eventually ends up being anyway.

IMG_1527

Here is a view of the parking lot, and the valley below.

IMG_1529

View of the mountain peak above. The Parrish Creek trail will take you to the top, but that was not our destination today.

IMG_1531

View from the trail split. There a signs to help you find your way. The Bonneville Shoreline Trail goes both ways from here, but I wanted to check out Barnard Creek.

IMG_1535

I heard and eventually saw this little manmade waterfall.

IMG_1540

Parrish Creek.

IMG_1542

Coming out of Parrish Canyon and around to the front of the mountain.

IMG_1543

Before long we found another side trail called Parrish Sunset. Might have to check that out some time.

IMG_1545

Not much further and the trail joins up with the ATV road I mentioned earlier.

IMG_1546

And we made it to what I thought was Barnard Canyon. Looking back at the map I do not think this was in fact Barnard. There should be a creek. But there was a trail so we decided to explore a little bit.

IMG_1549

There doesn’t appear to be much to this.

 IMG_1554

What’s this?

IMG_1555

IMG_1572

Oh lookie, I found a small cave/mine.

 IMG_1578

Not very deep at all, probably 5 – 8 feet, but I still didn’t want to crawl in.

IMG_1580

Little bit of water makes a nice little mossy wall.

Okay that was fun, but there doesn’t seem to be any trail and Roxy was not acting very “into” the hiking today so we decided to head back.

IMG_1599

View up the little canyon… gulch?

IMG_1602

View of Antelope Island.

 IMG_1603

Interesting rock outcropping.

IMG_1613

Parrish Canyon.

 IMG_1615

And back to the parking lot, with a shot of the shot up signs. People are really gun happy around here.

Meh, not much to it. Like I said I am certain I did not make it to Barnard Creek, so I am going to leave this unrated today.

As for difficulty, if you stay on the shoreline trail, I would mark it a DR3. There is a short UP section, but after that it is fairly flat and even.

No comments: