Sunday, February 9, 2014

Gilgal Sculpture Garden

 

Nestled in the middle of a city block just outside of downtown SLC lies a hidden garden few know about that contains a bunch of really unique sculptures. The Gilgal Sculpture Garden was originally a private garden that was designed and sculpted by Thomas Battersby Child Jr. In the mid-twentieth century. I guess at some point people decided it was awesome enough to preserve and make a public park. You can find more info here.

It’s been snowing and raining off and on for the last few days so I decided it probably wasn’t a good day to go hiking in the mountains. So, I decided to finally check it out. I know, I know I normally focus on hikes on this blog, but this is another fun outdoor activity to do that is free.

To get here, take the 4th south exit and drive east to 7th east. Take a right, turn left on 5th south. About mid block park on the north side if possible. It is kind of hard to see, considering it was once this guys back yard, but look for the sidewalk going back between 2 houses. Actual address is 749 East 500 South.

Now, on to the adventure.

IMG_1257

The park from the road.

IMG_1258

The park proper.

IMG_1261

This is probably my 2nd favorite sculpture.

IMG_1265

And this is my favorite. A weird Joseph Smith Sphinx.

IMG_1267

Statues can get runny noses too!

IMG_1270

An interesting spire and archway.

IMG_1275

Body parts. I really like the different colors on the head.

IMG_1278

There is a covered pavilion in the back that has these old photos of what I assume are the artist selecting stones.

IMG_1282

IMG_1283

A couple cool birdhouses.

IMG_1289

I am not 100% sure, but judging by the plaque below I am guessing this is a sculpture of his wife. It reads: “Sole partner and sole part of all my joys, dearer thyself than all.”  That is beautiful.

IMG_1292

IMG_1294

Cool eagles.

IMG_1290

Awesome archway and a stack of books, with an actual book on top.

IMG_1299

Kind of disturbing to walk under.

IMG_1300

The spire. I believe that is supposed to be Maroni on top so it would appear (just putting this together now) that the spire probably represents a steeple.

IMG_1302

I’m not sure who this is, but I like the tools.

IMG_1304

And we’re back to the front again.

IMG_1305

This is the center mound.

IMG_1321

IMG_1323

Inside the cave.

IMG_1314

There are a lot of poems and scriptures carved into various rocks.

IMG_1317

Petrified wood.

IMG_1326

“After me cometh a builder. Tell him, I too have known”

IMG_1329

My two favorites.

IMG_1333

Is that the big dipper on the temple, on a sphinx? Landis informs me the actual temple has constellations all over it so I guess it’s just another homage.

IMG_1336

IMG_1338

This is really a cool sculpture.

IMG_1341

I noticed this plaque mentioned the sphinx so I decided to clear some of the snow and ice away so I could read it.

The sphinx is drowsy
her wings are furled
her ear is heavy
she broods on the world
who’ll tell me her secret
the ages have kept?
I awaited the seer
while they slumbered and slept.

I really like that one.

IMG_1346

Cool little birdbath.

IMG_1354

Ripples and water.

IMG_1355

Another couple sculptures.

Hopefully I didn’t over share and remove some of the mystique of this place but it is truly an exceptional place. Unique, weird, inspiring. Definitely a fun adventure worth exploring. Can you imagine if your private garden was fascinating enough that it became a park after you die? What an awesome legacy to leave behind. Anyway, I am normally not a fan of overtly religious stuff, but this is interesting enough to overlook that. Also, did I mention free? Go on check it out.

I think the difficulty level is fairly obvious, DR2. Wheelchair accessible. I think all of the interesting things can be seen from the paved path. The middle is a grassy section but it is flat. Also there is a short section of mud from where the paved sidewalk ends and the asphalt sidewalk begin, but that might be due to what appears to be new irrigation being put in.

No comments: