Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Memorial Day Adventure In The Promontory Mountains. Part 2: The Spiral Jetty and Bonus Straight Jetty


After a fun adventure at Golden Spike we continued on to our actual destination, The Spiral Jetty. I have been out here before, but I enjoyed it enough that I was willing to return. Plus Landis’ mom had been mentioning that she would like to come out and see it, so I decided it was the perfect out of the way Memorial Day Weekend adventure.

From Golden Spike continue past it towards the Auto Tour West route which is a well maintained dirt road. My little ford did fine last time we were here, but we were in a truck today and managed to make much better time. If you are in a small sedan just take your time and it’ll be fine. There are little white signs before every road split so it is pretty easy to find. Here are really detailed instructions I received from the friends of the artists website.

4. From the Visitor Center, drive 5.6 miles west on the main gravel road to a fork in the road. Continue left, heading west. *There are small white signs directing you the ENTIRE way to Spiral Jetty.
5. Cross a cattle guard. Call this cattle guard #1. Including this one, you cross four cattle guards before you reach Rozel Point and Spiral Jetty.
6. Drive 1.3 miles south to a second fork in the road. Turn right onto the southwest fork, and proceed 1.7 miles to cattle guard #2.
7. Continue southeast 1.2 miles to cattle guard #3.
8. Continue straight 2.8 miles south-southwest to cattle guard #4 and an iron-pipe gate.
9. Drive south for another 2.7 miles around the east side of Rozel Point, you will see the north arm of Great Salt Lake and an old oil jetty (not Spiral Jetty) left by drilling explorations that ended in the 1980s.
10. The road curves turning north and ends at a cul-de-sac parking lot directly next to Spiral Jetty.

Be advised, The Golden Spike Visitor Center is the last restroom, last cell service, etc. You are out in the middle of nowhere. Be sure to have emergency supplies, plenty of water, etc. Twice now with no issues, but please be prepared for the worse. Now on to our adventures!

IMG_3312

The road really isn’t that bad. The last 2 miles or so seemed worse than the rest of it, but in the truck we were making a pretty fine pace. (DBP Album)

IMG_3313

Some pretty green hills above. (DBP Album)

IMG_3315

The road again, and a view of the lake below. (DBP Album)

IMG_3325

And we have arrived! Aw man, it is dry. And there are quite a few people here. Still not as bad as some other places would have been this weekend.

DSC_00195

Here is an image from the last time we were here in 2011. According to the USGS survey the water levels are only a foot less than last time we were here, and that is definitely enough to move the lake levels quite some distance from the jetty. It is best viewed when water levels are below 4195 feet. Acceding to the website today they were at 4194.4 feet. Last time we were here it was at 4195.5 Seriously one foot will make or break your experience here. No Matter we will still go explore it.

IMG_3327

IMG_3329

Some shrubs and rocks.

IMG_3332

Baby jettys.

IMG_3334

And we start. There really is no point of walking on the actual jetty. the dry lake bed is much easier, but I insist upon it anyway.

IMG_3335

Dry lake beds.

IMG_3336

The jetty, more crowded that I am used to.

Copy of jetty

Quick panoramic.

IMG_3343

The lake was about 30 feet out from the furthermost edge of it. Also, look at how far out the waders are, and it is still only ankle deep. The Great Salt Lake is truly a bizarre shallow being.

IMG_3354

I like the texture in the salt. You know, I have been out to the Salt Flats but only in the wet season so I have never walked on a salt flat before now. I have to say it is truly a bizarre experience. It’s kind of like walking on ice, and it seems like you might break through at any moment, but it is definitely solid, and not slippery. It’s just really weird.

IMG_3357

I kind of wished I had decided to go wading out there, looks like you can get pretty far out without getting too wet.

IMG_3364

Salty flatland.

IMG_3371

IMG_3378

From the end of the spiral.

IMG_3379

Looking at the end. Like I said, it’s cool dry, but better when the water level is higher.

IMG_3399

And back up to the parking lot. We decided not to climb up the hills to get an aerial view today.

The next destination was Straight Jetty which I am now dubbing Oil Jetty. You will see why pretty quickly. Have you ever wondered what oil looks like when it bubbles to the surface? Well, I am about to show you quite a few examples.

IMG_3407

I don’t think I got an actual image of the jetty, but here is a random pier that parallels it.

IMG_3410

In researching things to do in the area I read that there is oil bubbling up near this jetty, which is why I decided to go check it out. I honestly thought this was it and was kind of disappointed.

IMG_3422

And then we found another mound that was dripping.

UPDATE November 2015: Due to a news story, and a follow-up story I have learned this is actually tar. These are tar pits, or tar seeps.

IMG_3424

Some random poles.

IMG_3425

Random structure near the end.

IMG_3427

IMG_3428

Another oil mound. It is definitely starting to smell like oil.

IMG_3436

Okay it is coming up everywhere out here. We started joking about how have we not drilled out here yet? (turns out after some further research they have tried, but the fluctuating lake levels, and the fact that it is not the best quality have turned out to be not very cost effective.)

IMG_3438

Salty footprint.

IMG_3442

It was about here that another person taking pictures not far from us crossed paths and asked if we knew what was going on, was there an oil spill here? I told her that I was pretty sure it was bubbling up. But I thought it was just one small section, not this giant swath of land.

IMG_3443

It still kind of boggles my mind. I mean, when I think about it, obviously this is what led humans to decided to drill for it, but seeing it just bubbling out of the ground is really, really fascinating.

IMG_3444

Coming out of the building.

IMG_3448

Which some idiots decided to build a fire pit inside of. Maybe the oil wasn’t as present here as it is now, but really do people not get the extreme hazard here?

IMG_3453

IMG_3456

IMG_3457

IMG_3459

Kind of a fun old structure to play around in.

IMG_3460

Crap. Stopped paying attention to where I was stepping for one second and.. doom. I would like to say this is the only time it happened… we’ll see what I can do, but I might need to toss these boots.

IMG_3461

IMG_3473

IMG_3475

More oil.

IMG_3477

The Promontory Mountains, and some oil mounds.

IMG_3486

Back to the old building.

IMG_3499

I don’t know why, but I am just fascinated with the oil mounds. Like I said, I knew they had to exist, but it is pretty neat to actually see it.

IMG_3502

IMG_3504

IMG_3508

I was hearing some weird noises I couldn’t identify, until I saw some bubbles.

Copy of IMG_3504

I like the way this one came out.

IMG_3512

They kind of look like little volcanoes. I actually started becoming a little unsure if I should be walking around above all of this. Is it like hot springs, is the ground unstable? Honestly, I don’t know. We survived without incident however.

IMG_3519

Another mound, and I did actually get a shot of Oil Jetty in the background here.

IMG_3522

Some salt pools.

IMG_3526

Salt formations.

IMG_3533

Salt flats.

IMG_3540

IMG_3546

Copy of IMG_3548

Copy of IMG_3550

Random buoy I really like the random artwork on it.

IMG_3557

The mountains above.

IMG_3559

Old metal drums and the Promontory Mountains.

IMG_3570

Another campsite here on “shore”. Due to fluctuating lake levels this is shore during high levels, otherwise it could be a little ways out.

IMG_3574

Straight Jetty (or Oil Jetty as I have dubbed) and I believe Gunnison and Dolphin Islands in the background.

IMG_3580

IMG_3583

Promontory mountains on our way back to Golden Spike. (DBP)

IMG_3587

Watching a raptor hunt on the way back. (DBP)

IMG_3590

Dirt road. It really isn’t so bad.

IMG_3591

Looking at the dirt we are kicking up.

Well that was quite the adventure! I did not anticipate seeing so many unique things here. I would say our adventure was a success! You can see more of our day trip here. There are surprisingly a lot of interesting things to do around here, and I think we have barely scratched the surface.

Both adventures today get a perfect 10. One is artistic and neat, the other is geologically fascinating. Yes, there is a long confusing dirt road, with no cell service, no restrooms, no.. anything. But they are still both worth the adventure.

squirrels 10

As for difficulty, both technically are drive up and see (after adventuring down a dirt road) but to access the Spiral Jetty you have to venture down a steep boulder strewn path. Straight Jetty was get out and walk though. Ending on a DR3

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

No comments: