Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Holbrook Canyon


Holbrook canyon is a pretty trail located in Bountiful. Mostly flat with a few steep uphill and downhill slopes. It crosses the creek (sometimes on sturdy bridges, sometimes on loose logs) several times. It crosses through many different scenes of deciduous trees, and conifer forests. It starts, and ends with small waterfalls and has amazing cliff sights. This trail truly has a lot of stuff to keep you interested the entire hike up.

To get here take any exit in bountiful and follow the “LDS Temple –>” signs. No seriously that will get you there, (if you are familiar with the area it is across the street and slightly south of the temple) but to be more clear for those unfamiliar with the area take the Bountiful 5th south exit from i15. Follow that up until you reach Lakeview Dr., take a right. (there is one of the aforementioned signs, but if you miss it, it’s a dead end from here.) Lakeview Dr. will curve back east towards the mountains, back out, and back in again. Follow it to Bountiful Blvd. and hang a left. Very quickly you will see a small parking lot on the right with a park restroom. If you pass the temple on the left, you went to far.
Now, on to the trail!

IMG_3054

Holbrook Canyon is a pretty prominent canyon located nearby. I had been wondering why we had yet to explore it and just couldn’t figure it out. When we got to the parking lot it looked really familiar. After we started hiking, the trail did not, and it finally dawned on me. We have tried. But the small parking lot has been full every time we did.

IMG_2861

Like other nearby trails it starts at the top of a manmade hill. All of these I am unsure if they were originally damns, or were just built level the roads out. Either way, that means you are going to have a last bit of up at the end of your hike.

IMG_2863

There is a nice small cascade here at the beginning.

IMG_2864

I just love the bright green color of early spring.

IMG_2865

And the flowers are starting to come out!

IMG_2866

The deer in Bountiful didn’t seem to fair so well this year. Just about every trail we have done so far we have found a random deer leg. Well, Roxy found this one. We never find much more of them. Kind of weird.

IMG_2868

More spring greenery!

IMG_2872

I love the way the water is just shooting off of the rock there. The best part of this trail is that it doesn’t stray far from the creek for almost the entirety of it.

IMG_2873

However, there are a lot of crossings.

IMG_2874

This is from the bridge seen in the previous image. Do you see the log up there?

IMG_3029

Apparently it was the original crossing here. Yea, I would have opted to get my feet wet. o.O

IMG_2878

Another crossing. The creek must be a bit more swollen than normal as most of them don’t seem to cross the entire thing.

IMG_2882

Another crossing. I believe this is the last actual bridge.

IMG_2884

After the bridge the trail goes UP very steeply and then you hike along a narrow trail on a steep slope for a short while. Managed to get a nice shot of the green hillsides though.

IMG_2885

Some pretty purple flowers.

IMG_2886

View up the canyon.

IMG_2888

Oh I lied, there is another bridge, that also doesn’t quite cross the creek. Although, now that I am looking at this, I wonder if the anchor log just moved downstream.

IMG_2892

Some mossy rocks.

IMG_2893

IMG_2894

Some nice shots of the creek.

IMG_2895

Landis helps Roxy across the not so great bridges.

IMG_2897

Mossy cliff face.

IMG_2902

Moving into a more piney forest.

IMG_2904

Little cascade.

Copy of IMG_2906

Butterfly!

IMG_2908

I love trails that follow streams.

IMG_2909

Kind of neat.

IMG_2910

And, parts of the trail are pretty flooded. Be sure to wear good boots!

IMG_2911

Kind of looks like a gargoyle on the cliff up there.

IMG_2912

Another crossing.

IMG_2915

Just pretty up here.

IMG_2917

Another crossing. This one was particularly sketchy, but got us across without getting wet.

IMG_2918

More pretty forests.

IMG_2919

More pretty cliffs. Who needs to go all the way to Yosemete to see astounding cliffs? We have some amazing ones here! (Although I do still want to go to Yosemete)

IMG_2921

IMG_2923

And we have some flower lined trails now.

Copy of IMG_2926

Ladybug. At least I think it’s a ladybug.. it was pretty big and there aren’t any spots.

IMG_2927

More cascades.

IMG_2928

Big rock surrounded by greenery. This trail has everything. :)

IMG_2932

And we finish at a small waterfall nestled between some boulders. I’d say it’s about 5-6 feet, not very big at all, but it is pretty.

IMG_2937

There is actually a pair of them, but you can’t get a very good shot of them both with the nearby greenery.

IMG_2939

Here is the second one.

IMG_2944

A little downstream.

Well from here the trail got really, really steep so we decided to call it a day. I don’t know if we made it to the “nice waterfall with a pool” or if that is further up but we did find a nice little waterfall with a pool and had a great time so we decided to head on back.

IMG_2955

IMG_2956

IMG_2957

Some more flowers.

IMG_2968

Gnarly old tree. The cavern in the roots is full of rocks.

IMG_2971

IMG_2972

Back to the cool cliff faces, the last one the “gargoyle” seems more prominent.

IMG_2975

One of the many primitive campsites. I counted 5 or 6 on the way up.

IMG_2981

Trail and creek.

IMG_2990

I am often asked how often I encounter rattlesnakes since I hike so often and can honestly say never. This was the second snake I saw today (the other scurried away too quickly) this one posed for me. I can’t see his tail, but I really doubt it is a rattler. However, I didn’t want to get close enough to find out for certain.

IMG_2995

IMG_2997

IMG_2998

A couple more shots of the creek.

IMG_2999

Pines above the canopy.

Copy of IMG_3001

Another butterfly. I was kind of blow away by the amount of butterflies fluttering about on this trail.

IMG_3003

Back to the mossy stones.

IMG_3013

Shot of the hills above.

IMG_3017

IMG_3020

Green hills, and evidence of a recent landslide.

IMG_3018

View down the canyon.

IMG_3022

I know we anthropomorphize animals a lot, but I really think Roxy really enjoys hiking. Look how happy she looks! And sometimes I swear I catch her looking at different sights. And, of course she almost always want to go further than us.

IMG_3023

Rocky cliff above.

IMG_3024

Water is such an amazingly powerful force. Before long, it will probably take this tree down.

IMG_3025

A couple small waterfalls that are a little hard to see through the trees.

IMG_3027

Pretty white flower.

IMG_3028

IMG_3034

This is the best time to go on a hike. It’s not too hot, it’s not too cold or wet and snowy, and everything is green and coming up. I think May should be National Go For A Hike Month. Of course, over the years I have learned to do lower elevation hikes this time of year. Much higher and it it is going to be snowy.

IMG_3035

Back to the cool water swoop.

IMG_3037

IMG_3040

IMG_3041

More luscious greenery.

IMG_3044

Some old structure.

IMG_3046

And back to the end with the man made dyke. Now we just have to climb up that last bit!

IMG_3052

Well that grabbed my attention.

IMG_3049

Didn’t enter but went for a peeksie. Apparently the local teenagers don’t care. I am not sure what exactly is dangerous though.. perhaps the other end lets out at a cliff?

IMG_3053

More flowers.

Okay, I am mad that we haven't done this one sooner. It was an awesome trail. It was marked as moderate to difficult that is “hard to follow at times.” I have to disagree with that. Yes, there were some swampy areas, and a lot of creek crossings, but up until the end where I wondered if there might be an alternate route aside from the really steep one the trail was pretty obvious the entire way. There were 2 spots that made me nervous, but they weren’t so bad. It is a beautiful canyon that is worth exploring. The downside/upside is the small parking lot. It seems pretty popular, but I think the small parking lot limits the crowd size. I think I am always more enamored with a trail the first time I do it, particularly if it happens in the spring, but I loved it. Other than the end prize not being that amazing, and the parking lot so limited, it would be perfect. So, I am going to give it 9 squirrels.

 squirrels 9

As for difficulty, like I said the websites tend to mark this as moderate to difficult. Even though my body is currently protesting the adventure I didn’t find it to be so bad. I mentioned earlier there were a few spots that made me nervous, and a few steep spots, but overall it was fairly easy. Of course, unlike most other years we did some winter hiking, so we didn’t have the 4 month slump we usually have.

No comments: