Saturday, October 24, 2015

Hanging Lake–Avon, Colorado Vacation.


Hanging Lake is probably the most beautiful lake we have had the pleasure of visiting. the trail up to it, while relatively short, was absolutely intense! It’s like taking the stairs up to the top of a 85 floor tower, except you know, pretty. This was the crown jewel of our vacation and absolutely made the trip worth it.

Quick Details:

Length: 1.2 miles from the trailhead. Which is about a quarter mile from the parking lot.
Difficulty: You gain 1020 feet in 1.2 miles. It is strait up and there was a short section that was well, pretty scary DR6.
Elevation Gain: 1020 ft.
Restroom: There are flush toilets at the parking lot, and pit toilettes at the trailhead.
Dogs? No. Dogs are not allowed on this trail.
Extra Info: This is a tough rocky trail. Ensure you have plenty of water and good shoes.

To get here is a little complicated. It is east of Glenwood Springs on i70. If heading West like we were you will take exit 121, which has a turn around to get back onto i70 eastbound to exit 125 which is the Hanging Lake Rest Area. If heading east, just take exit 125, but know to keep going east when leaving you will have to do the same back-tracking to exit 121. If you happen to be staying west of it, well you are golden and wont need to backtrack.

IMG_0415

Looking up canyon from the parking lot. Colorado river below.

IMG_0418

From the little bit of research I did before we got here I knew it was a 1.2 mile trail. I was getting really excited that it appeared to be paved for at least the first section of it… and well, while that is true, the trailhead is after this. so it’s 1.2 miles, plus this paved quarter mile. oi.

IMG_0421 - Copy

I really enjoy Glenwood Canyon.

IMG_0889

Trailhead sign. It warns that it is difficult. At the moment I kind of took that with a grain of salt. Come on, it’s popular and very busy no way. No seriously, this is a tough trail.

IMG_0424

Dead Horse Creek. Named so because apparently the first documented explorer of this canyon found a dead horse near the mouth of it.

IMG_0428

Right from the get go the trail goes strait up and is very rocky. Also, you can kind of see just how popular it is here. Lots of people.

IMG_0431

I like that they drilled steps into this boulder. there are a couple spots where they have added stuff to make it easier to traverse. It’s stuff like this that made it feel like we were just climbing a long staircase.

IMG_0438

Cliff walls above.

IMG_0439

Bridge number 2. I like that they are numbered, it helped to gauge distance. There are 7 of them total.

IMG_0448

More stairs.

IMG_0449

Colorful cliff.

IMG_0450

Little waterfall.

IMG_0452

Into the shadow of the canyon.

IMG_0455

There are some flat sections… but not a lot.

IMG_0458

IMG_0459

More cliffs.

IMG_0460

I love all the little cascades and pools.

IMG_0465

Rocky, rocky trail.

IMG_0468

More cascades.

IMG_0478

Small waterfall here above bridge 3.

IMG_0482

Which is at the 1/2 mile mark. Oh man it feels like we’ve done more than that so far haha. That said, I wish more trails did this! This trail had a mile marker every quarter mile. When a trail is unfamiliar it is nice to know how much further to expect and this is a great way to do it! not sure if this is a Colorado thing, this area, or just this trail, but either way I did appreciate it. I thought I got a picture of it, but I guess not. If I remember correctly, the 1/4 mile marker was at bridge 2.

IMG_0483

IMG_0484

More steps.

IMG_0487

Bridge 4.

IMG_0490

More cascades. I really love trails that follow the creek.

IMG_0492

IMG_0496

Into the woods.

IMG_0498

Seriously start wondering how much is natural stepping stones, and how much was placed a lot of it is seriously almost perfect staircases.

IMG_0502

Neat little waterfall.

IMG_0513

Tree roots.

IMG_0516

Bridge 5.

IMG_0519

Nice cascades here as well.

IMG_0522

From a different angle. There were a few sections where the water seemed to have an interesting color. I figured different minerals, but after seeing the lake that is confirmed.

IMG_0525

Ferns.

IMG_0530

Really??? Oh man, this trail is kicking our butts. It certainly feels like we have gone further than this.

IMG_0547

From bridge 6.

IMG_0548

I love the creek.

IMG_0551

Ferns and creek.

IMG_0554

Raptors and cliffs above.

IMG_0562

Great little covered resting area. Looks really old, I kind of wonder if it was originally a small cabin.

IMG_0563

Loads and loads of graffiti. On the way down, we got to witness a ranger busting someone carving. He was cool about it, just kind of put a good scare into him but let him go. Landis mentioned what does it matter at this point? the whole thing is covered. But I think hey, if someone is caught in the act, maybe they won’t do it again.

IMG_0564

More of the colored water.

IMG_0573

Moss covered cascades.

IMG_0575

This part reminded me of Labyrinth, the part where she walks through The Bog Of Eternal Stench and the stones come up. I imagine it must get wet or muddy in this area.

IMG_0576

Cool little alcove.

IMG_0584

Mossy waterfall.

IMG_0587

IMG_0591

A slightly better one. After visiting the lake I think the lower waterfall came from a part of water coming from the far end of the lake, and this one is the water coming from the closer end of the lake.

IMG_0594

Bridge 7. Almost there!

IMG_0595

Cliff and forest. I would love to visit this trail in the spring some time.

IMG_0597

1 mile! only .2 to go! Phew! Little did I know the last leg was a little bit well, scary. I am kind of hesitant to say that because had I known, I probably would have chickened out. However coming in blind and coming this far I pushed myself through it.

IMG_0599

Moss and dead leaves.

IMG_0601

More steps.

IMG_0602

Further up canyon. The trail switchbacks against the cliff from here.

IMG_0605

At least there is a railing.

IMG_0606

Cliff side. With a random alcove next to a tree.

IMG_0610

Starting to hit the really intense section.

IMG_0611

Absolutely amazing view down though.

IMG_0612

I am actually kind of surprised I took the last 2 pictures considering how scared I was. I had to crawl up this while holding onto the bottom hand rail. I have mentioned I am terrified of heights right? I honestly don’t think I could have done this without that hand rail. Luckily it is very short, and before I knew it I was on solid ground again.

IMG_0613

Oh, I managed another view down. You know what, I am pretty darn proud of myself for not only doing that, but getting a few pictures along the way too. However, I think I just confirmed that I couldn’t do Angels Landing in Zion.

IMG_0615

The first stream coming out of the lake.

IMG_0616

There is a nice boardwalk around the lake. This was built more to protect the fragile environment than for convenience, but it was super convenient.

IMG_0618

First glimpse of the lake… holy crap! This is absolutely stunning! I was expecting a pretty lake, I had no idea not just 1, but 2 waterfalls fell directly into it.

IMG_0619

Taking a closer look at the map, they appear to be called Bridal Veil Falls. We have a waterfall in Utah with the same name, and I found one in Oregon with the same name.

IMG_0621

I knew it was called hanging lake because it was next to a cliff. I thought it hung out over a cliff. It’s seriously right next to it though.

hanging lake 1

Panoramic.

IMG_0633

Amazing colorful, yet clear water.

IMG_0638

So clear you can easily see the fish.

IMG_0639

The lake and the waterfalls. I cannot believe how pretty this is.

IMG_0644

Waterfall and its reflection.

IMG_0650

Old log in the lake.

IMG_0652

Different angle.

IMG_0653

With the cliffs above.

hanging lake 2

Another panoramic.

IMG_0665 - Copy

IMG_0667 - Copy

Stellars Jay.

IMG_0670

Waterfall and reflection again.

IMG_0676

Back to the lake.

IMG_0682

I am really loving this lake.

IMG_0686

Trying to get a sense of the lake against the cliff.

IMG_0690

Back down to the closer end.

IMG_0693

Faint waterfall-bow.

IMG_0699

On the way in I noticed this side trail to Spouting Rock. Sounds interesting.

IMG_0700

Hanging Lake from above.

IMG_0713

Just a short 1000 yards or so and HOLY CRAP!!! A big waterfall coming out of a hole in the cliffs! This is absolutely amazing! I don’t know what I expected, but it certainly wasn’t this.

IMG_0715

The waterfall is seriously coming out of a small cave in the side of this cliff. That is awesome!

You know I tried to figure out where the creek goes underground, and I couldn’t locate it.

IMG_0716

People for scale.

IMG_0718

We witnessed a special moment. I thought I’d be a good Samaritan and document this special moment for them, until I realized the other couple were definitely with them and doing so for them. Still, if you know these people and think they might want this image I would be happy to give a copy without the watermark.

IMG_0722

Looking down canyon.

IMG_0731

Faint rainbow from the mist.

IMG_0733

The cave behind the waterfall smelled very strongly like clay, and was dripping in a few places.

IMG_0738

IMG_0743

Not the first waterfall that I have been able to walk behind, but definitely the first one I have seen coming out of a cave.

IMG_0745

Another look at the small alcoves in the back of the cave.

IMG_0750

IMG_0751 - Copy

Managed a couple shots without people.

I am really glad we explored this extra side adventure. I have never seen anything like this. However, it was starting to get late and we really needed to get on down the road. So, it was time to leave.

IMG_0766

A lovely view down canyon. Didn’t get any pictures of the scary route down. It was a little tougher going down, mostly because there was a traffic jam, but I made it. I gave a quick pep talk to someone I could tell was not wanting to continue up. I kind of wish I had taken more time and given her more advise. I do hope she got to courage to make it. But if she didn’t, that is okay too. Fear of heights is seriously bad. Trust me, I am the first person who knows this, so I truly understand if she turned around. I almost did.

IMG_0780

The scary section from below. It doesn't seem as high from here, but it is certainly high enough to seriously injure or kill if you fell from there.

IMG_0785

The upper falls. More in the shade.

IMG_0789 - Copy

Random bird digging through the leaves.

IMG_0793

The waterfall again.

IMG_0796

The lower waterfall again.

IMG_0801

Why would anybody want to? The trail is steep enough!

IMG_0810

The creek again.

IMG_0819

Cascades.

IMG_0833

Cliffs.

IMG_0839

Moss and rocks.

IMG_0857

IMG_0862

Trees and cliffs.

IMG_0869

Rocky steps down.

IMG_0878

Last stragglers.

IMG_0880

A little bit of color.

IMG_0883

Bridge 1. Almost done.

IMG_0885

Now that we are almost out of Dead Horse Canyon we can see down Glenwood Canyon.

IMG_0891

Where Dead horse Creek meets the Colorado River.

IMG_0896

Back down to the trail head, and a look down Glenwood Canyon.

IMG_0907

The sun behind one of the peaks above.

IMG_0908

Pretty trees in the packed parking lot.

That was one of the toughest, but most incredible hikes we have ever done. However, there was not just 1, but 2 phenomenal natural wonders to see at the end, not to mention a couple other great things, and amazing views! It was absolutely worth doing and I am thrilled that we did it. And I am still super proud of myself for making it past the scary part. 10 out of 10 squirrels all the way. Even with the crowds!

As for difficulty, as I mentioned it is steep and rocky and there is a lot of elevation gain in such a short trail system. Plus the short section with 50 foot drops. Going with a DR6.

Dogs are not allowed in this fragile ecosystem. Please respect that.

Copy of dogsno

No comments: