Monday, October 10, 2011

Bridal Veil Falls – Provo


After our beautiful fall drive on The Nebo Scenic Byway, we decided while we are this far south, we may as well finally check out Bridal Veil Falls. It wasn’t too much of a detour from our way home.

From the direction we were heading, Google suggested we take the University Parkway exit, and follow that to Canyon Rd, then up the canyon 4 miles. Coming from the north, take Orem’s 800 South exit west to Canyon rd, then go up the canyon 4 miles. This is actually the shortest easiest route as the one we took had to go through a busy part of Provo.

DSC_0269

From the Drive By Photography (DBP) Album: The Provo Tabernacle. Not a particularly good shot, however I was compelled to take it as it was just announced they will not be restoring it after the fire, instead they will be turning it into another temple. It will be interesting to see what that will look like. (I am guessing typical cookie cutter standard look they go for now.)

We actually ended up missing our turnout, or we thought we had. This actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise, but I will come back to that.

Our 2nd stop put us in the Bridal Veil Park. Cute little community park, rife with tons of humans running, playing, picnicking and generally enjoying the area.

DSC_0290

The Provo River. Interestingly enough, this is downstream from where we camped a few months ago, and the Provo River Falls (not to be confused with Bridal Veil) are very far upstream.

DSC_0292

Other side of the canyon.

DSC_0293

First glimpse.

DSC_0297 DSC_0306

Wow. Just wow. Now I am afraid I need to eat my words.

From My Oregon post earlier in the year: “Bridal Veil Falls – We have a Bridal Veil Falls in Provo that I have yet to visit. I have a feeling that this is probably more impressive.”

[DSC_03853.jpg]

Accompanying photo.

Bridal Veil Falls in Oregon is beautiful, lots of beautiful lush greenery. However, I must say Provo’s, is a lot more impressive. It is HUGE at 607 feet tall. I cannot find anything definitive on the web, but I believe it to be the tallest non-ephemeral waterfall in Utah. (Apparently there is one in Zion National Park which is only seasonal that is taller than that)

DSC_0309 DSC_0300

And this is during low flow, seriously, 1 day after the end of the water season.

Walking back to the car I noticed this strange plant:

DSC_0313 DSC_0314

I think I have seen something similar in anime’s I have watched, but I have never seen anything else like it. Does anybody know what it is? It is a really cool looking plant.

Now, back to us missing the turn out. As our luck would have it, it’s okay if you miss the turn out for Bridal Veil Park, as there is another lookout not much further up the road.

DSC_0272

I personally think it offers a better view as now you are about level with the 2nd terrace. See all the people at the bottom? Helps to give you an idea of the size, and also lets you know of the crowd you will be contending with.

DSC_0278 DSC_0281

If you look really close just left of the bottom of the 2nd terrace you can see people. There is a trail to that part, I am unsure if it goes further up, but after the full day of activities we were not up to hiking it today.

DSC_0283

I particularly like this shot.

I normally post my trips in the order that I did them, but I think this is the proper order to do things, as it is a better view from the lookout. (plus it is easier to turn left at the lookout than it is the park.)

DSC_0318

And as we returned to our humble valley the sun started setting. (From the DBP Album), an interesting effect we have living in a valley. When the sun starts setting behind the mountains in the west, the shadows climbs vertically up the mountains in the east.

This is one of the most amazing waterfalls I have seen in Utah. It is absolutely beautiful. Apparently at one point there was a tram (touted as the most vertical tram in the world) that took you to the top. It was destroyed in 1 avalanche, rebuilt, destroyed in a 2nd avalanche, and then ultimately burned down. I read recently that there are plans to rebuild it again. Really? uh… I think the fates have spoken, and it is not to be.

Anyway, this is a must see waterfall. Kind of like Old Faithful. However, much like Old Faithful, it is particularly populated with the general masses of humankind.

Even though it is not technically a trail, I will rate it as 9 out of 10 squirrels.

squirrels 9

No comments: