Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Nebo Loop Scenic Byway


I don’t recall what I was looking for when I stumbled upon the Nebo Loop Scenic Byway info. Whatever it was faded to an afterthought after seeing this pretty scenic loop. The fall colors really come and go very quickly, so fast I usually blink and miss it. We were available this weekend so we decided to go out and get some nature in.

The 38 mile byway starts in Payson Utah, and ends in Nephi. I didn’t really quite anticipate how far away that was. But it did really only take about an hour to get there so that is not too bad. Next time I go I think I will plan on camping.

DSC_0037

Since this is a scenic drive, with limited area’s to pull off the road, quite a few of the images will be from my Drive By Photography (DBP) Album.

DSC_0041 DSC_0044

This is one of the first of many trail heads we did not do. For the most part, the Nebo Loop is really good with their signage to tell you what is in the area. What they fail on is providing how long the trails are. Well, to be honest most trails fail on that. If you don’t know beforehand, you are in for a surprise.

DSC_0051

And here is the Grotto Trail that I did know about, so we did hike it. It was short enough that Ma decided to join us, and if it got too difficult she would turn back and wait.

DSC_0053 DSC_0057

We apparently missed most of the red leaves.

DSC_0059

But not all.

DSC_0064 DSC_0076 DSC_0084 DSC_0085

And we made it to the waterfall. Its kind of a cool little waterfall. Set in a deep recess, hence its name.

DSC_0091

This is what I had to contend with. It is a very crowded little trail!

DSC_0092 DSC_0100 DSC_0103 DSC_0105

All in all it is a pretty little trail. Short and somewhere between 1/2 to 2/3rds of a mile out and back. It’s a little rough, with some questionable bridges, but its short and has a pretty waterfall at the end. My only complaint was the crowd. 7 out of 10 squirrels.

squirrels 7

DSC_0107 DSC_0108

The next pit stop.

DSC_0112

Payson Lake.

DSC_0116

We made our own pull out here (as it was safe to do so.)

DSC_0130 DSC_0131 DSC_0137

The is the Beaver Dam overlook. Yea, I don’t see a beaver dam either.

I saw some movement after taking this picture, then I swear I saw a moose head peak out, so I ran back to the truck to get my telephoto lens.

DSC_0141

Cows. Darn.

DSC_0142

 DSC_0146

The Utah Valley Overlook.

DSC_0148

 DSC_0155  DSC_0157 DSC_0158

I believe this is the Bald Mountain Overlook.

Copy of Copy of DSC_0121 Stitch

Made a quick panoramic.

DSC_0181

This was at another trailhead we didn’t do.

DSC_0184

From the DBP album. This can’t be natural can it? Some farmer must have cut these terraces into the earth for some reason.

DSC_0194 DSC_0195 DSC_0197

And the famed Mount Nebo. At 11,928 ft it is the tallest in the Wasatch Range.

DSC_0207

We reached Devil’s Kitchen, the trail I was most looking forward to. at approximately 1 tenth a mile, completely paved, it is a super easy trail to do.

DSC_0208 DSC_0210

Do you see the small patches of snow up there? It is October, this is leftover from last year. I don’t think they will melt before the new snow comes in.

DSC_0213 DSC_0215 DSC_0217 DSC_0218 DSC_0219 DSC_0220 DSC_0222 DSC_0225

Devil’s Kitchen. The miniature Bryce Canyon. I had no idea this existed, and was so close. No need to go all the way to southern Utah to see red hoodoos.

DSC_0233 

I caught a rather loud bird looping through the hoodoos.

After the .1 mile trail you are left at this tiny little over look that only offers, well the above view of this fascinating little canyon. I really wanted to get a different angle. I noticed a little unpaved trail going down the side of the fenced off area. I am sure it is not an “authorized” trail but thought maybe?

DSC_0236

Some more red rock across the valley.

DSC_0237 DSC_0238 DSC_0239 DSC_0240

It was a rather steep trail. A couple little offshoots back towards the canyon offer some slightly different angles. Other than that, from what I could tell, the trail went down, steeply mind you, for quite a while before possibly going around the ridge into the valley of Devil’s Kitchen. At which point, I speculate that you have to hike back up some to actually see anything. Then, you have to turn around and hike all the way back up this rather steep trail. I was really, REALLY tempted to keep going but resisted. Ma was waiting for us, and we didn’t want to worry her.

DSC_0244DSC_0250

After making it back to the trailhead we continued down the loop.

DSC_0256 DSC_0257 DSC_0259 DSC_0261

This is the Salt Creek overlook. Again, I don’t see a creek. However, in the last image you can just make out Devil’s Kitchen towards the center.

DSC_0263

Red Creek. (From the DBP album) I kind of wish we had stopped as this is rather fascinating. A red creek (obviously caused by running through the above area’s and dragging the minerals downstream) its just cool so see a rust red creek surrounded by normal scenery.

DSC_0266 DSC_0267 DSC_0268

Upon exiting the canyon there was some other unique landscapes. (all 3 DBP album.)

This was a very beautiful and fascinating little drive, and I am really happy we did it. I do plan on returning sometime in the future to do some further exploring. I would highly recommend doing it.

While we were this far south we decided to finally check out Bridal Veil Falls in Provo, but as this post ran quite a bit longer than anticipated I will make that another post.

The overall drive gets a good 10 squirrels. It was just nice.

squirrels 10

No comments: