Saturday, June 18, 2016

Twin Lakes Reservoir Summer


Twin Lakes Reservoir is a great, shot but kind of tougher hike up above Brighton in Big Cottonwood Canyon. It features a beautiful scenic high altitude lake surrounded by peaks, wildflowers, a good chance of wildlife and one of my absolute favorite nearby scenic vistas. It was at one time two lakes, hence it’s name. But the dam combined them into a larger reservoir. We did this one pretty recently, but we were with some friends camping nearby, so I thought I would show them the views.

Twin Lakes Reservoir 1

Quick Details:

Length: 1 mile to twin lakes reservoir, 8/10 of a mile around silver lake. Total 2.8 miles. If you decide not to go around silver lake, and go the shorter route to the trailhead, counterclockwise around Silver Lake from the parking lot maybe 2.2 miles total. The trailhead is on the back side of Silver Lake.
Difficulty: Silver Lake: DR2 easy peasy mostly board walked. Twin Lakes DR5 a lot of up and rocky.
Elevation Gain: Silver Lake: Negligible, Twin Lakes: 710 feet.
Restroom: Yes at the Silver Lake parking lot. Flush toilettes.

To get here head up Big Cottonwood Canyon.As you enter the one way loop road at the top, look for the Silver Lake Solitude Nordic Center on the right (first driveway on the right). General Store on the left. If you make it to the big Brighton parking lot, you went too far.

You will have to walk around silver lake as the trail head is near the back end of it. I recommend going right (counter clockwise) as the trail head is a little closer from that direction.

On to the adventure!

IMG_7112

Well, that is a little confusing. It is the Solitude Nordic Center, even though it is much, much closer to Brighton.

IMG_6833

Looking towards the trail, and nearing Silver Lake.

IMG_6836

Silver Lake, Millicent Peak to the left. I’m not sure if the peak on the right is named. Twin Lakes is nestled between to two.

IMG_6837 - Copy

Duck and ducklings.

IMG_6838

Trailhead sign. Lake Solitude is also a great trail, a little longer, but a little easier.

IMG_6840

Old trail sign at the trail split.

IMG_6841

And into the woods we go!

IMG_6845

IMG_6847

Thick aspens.

IMG_6849

Neat tree displaying the fortitude of conifers. It looks like the main trunk broke off a long time ago, and 2 family trees growing off of it continue to thrive.

IMG_6850

More aspens.

IMG_6851

Illuminati!

IMG_6853

And up to one of my absolute favorite nearby viewpoints. The Brighton Valley and Silver Lake is incredible from up here!

Silver Lake 1

Panoramic.

IMG_6858

And a little closer.

IMG_6867

Found some snow.

IMG_6872

Gnarly tree.

IMG_6874

Spring.

IMG_6878

IMG_6885

Rocky, rocky trail.

IMG_6886

IMG_6894

Loads of Glacier Lilies up here! We get them along the benches too, but much earlier in the year.

IMG_6902

Rocky, piney peak.

IMG_6906

The dam, almost there.

IMG_6909

Twin Lakes Reservoir.

Twin Lakes Reservoir 1

Panoramic. Millicent Peak on the left, I know Mt Wolverine is back there someone, but not sure which one. I think it might be the one to the right of Millicent.

IMG_6938

Tree pollen.

IMG_6939

Lots of fish!

IMG_6941

The dam again.

The water is definitely higher than last time we were here, but it still has a couple feet to go before being full. You can see it has a ways to go before reaching the spillway.

IMG_6943

View from the dam.

Brighton Valley Stitch

Panoramic of the view down Big Cottonwood Canyon from here.

IMG_6953

I wish I could figure out what this peak was called.

IMG_6955

Dry spillway.

If it was just us, we probably would have wondered around the lake a little bit, but we had a group, and the hosts of the group were expecting others, so we decided to head back down.

IMG_6960

Mt. Millicent.

IMG_6961

Me with mountain views.

IMG_6974

Scraggly peak and wispy clouds.

IMG_6977

I think this is an old tree that has about finished it’s decomposition process.

IMG_6981

I think I see signs of glacier scraping.

IMG_6982

The main trail, which I think used to be an old jeep road is very rocky. A thin side trail is on the other side. We usually hike up the rocky trail, and down this side one. I still am not sure which is better. The side trail has much steeper parts. I think next time we come up I will try to hike up the side trail.

IMG_6986

The group hiking down. I was really impressed with the preteens they did the whole thing without a single complaint! The adults on the other hand…. LOL they did grumble a lot, apparently I threw the term ‘easy’ out (I honestly don’t recall doing so, as I know this is not a particularly easy trail). Anyway, after a couple threats of throwing me into the reservoir, they all said, tough aside, it was a great hike and they are glad they joined us. And I was happy to have the additional company.

IMG_6992

Band of color.

IMG_6993

Another amazing view.

IMG_6994

I think this is Western Stone seed.

IMG_6999

Paintbrush.

IMG_7002

Out of bounds ski sign, The gist is, you are skiing out of bounds and assume all risks. It has to be a good 20 feet up. My issue is, is someone skiing down going to have time to read this?

IMG_7005

Back to the landslide scar.

IMG_7009

Pretty blue rock.

IMG_7011

Back to that amazing viewpoint.

IMG_7017

This really is one of my absolutely favorite view points.

IMG_7025

Bluebells.

IMG_7026

Catnip.

IMG_7034

IMG_7036

IMG_7037

Beautiful forest!

IMG_7040

As always, remember to look up!

IMG_7045

IMG_7047

Ruins from some old cabin.

IMG_7049

You can see a glimpse of Silver Lake peeking out from behind the trees.

IMG_7052

Twisted aspens.

IMG_7053

Neat old twisted stump.

IMG_7059

And we have made it back down to Silver Lake. As is tradition with us, we we hike these back trails, we always continue around the lake, because, crowded or not, I still love this lake.

Today they were doing some fun kids in nature event and had fun stations situated around the lake. I like wildlife and birds so I stopped when I saw the big birds.

IMG_7064 - Copy

I didn’t catch what this is, but it looks like a hawk. Possibly a red tailed hawk.

IMG_7060 - Copy

I caught it rousing its feathers. They do this as a form of grooming as it readjusts their feathers. The handler knew it was about to do it, so I was ready with the camera. Super neat!

IMG_7063 - Copy

Great Horned Owl. Man! Look at those claws! I love these guys! We found a nest with some babies when we did The Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving Point earlier this year. Us Americans view owls as wise, but I recently learned that there are some cultures that consider them to be dumb. Interesting cultural difference.

IMG_7066

Ok, sorry, back to the lake.

Silver Lake 4

Panoramic.

IMG_7072

Pretty green forest.

IMG_7076

And here is a view of the landslide section of the trail we did.

IMG_7077

Silver Lake is really quite beautiful!

Silver Lake 5

Another panoramic.

IMG_7086

Small waves.

IMG_7089

The small patch of pines.

IMG_7097

One of the 2 inlets.

IMG_7098

Beaver dam.

IMG_7107

Mt. Millicent.

Well, even if it is a little bit of a tougher trail, I still love it. Amazing views, nice forest, a good chance of seeing wildlife, although not today really. Some wildflowers, and 2 beautiful alpine lakes. I highly recommend it!

squirrels 10

As for difficulty, This one I will bump up to a DR5. It definitely up! even if it isn’t that long and very, very rocky.

Dogs are not allowed in Big Cottonwood Canyon so leave your furry friend at home.

Copy of dogsno

No comments: