Monday, July 4, 2016

Ruth Lake


Ruth Lake is a beautiful high alpine lake high in the Uinta Mountains. Like really high, over 10,000 feet in elevation high. A beautiful, short, heavily forested trail takes you to the shores of this stunning lake which is surrounded by high mountain peaks.

IMG_7483 - Copy

Quick Details:

Length: .75 to the lake, 1.5 out and back plus whatever you do around the lake.
Difficulty: DR3. It was super easy, some elevation gain but nothing crazy.
Elevation Gain: About 400 Ft.
Restroom: There is a pit toilette at the trailhead.
Dogs? Yes, dogs are allowed, but must be restrained. Please clean up after your furry friend.
Fee Area: $6.00 per car for a 3 day pass. There are multiple areas to self serve your payment. I counted at least 4 on the way up.

Directions: From Kamas, take the Mirror Lake Highway about 35 miles up. You will pass Bald Mountain Pass, and Mirror Lake. The trailhead is on the left and is signed so you shouldn’t miss it.

IMG_7337

Jordanalle Reservoir has plenty of people recreating on it today (DBP).

IMG_7339

IMG_7340

And onto the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway (DBP)!

IMG_7342

The main ranger station, which is usually unmanned, did not have any fee envelopes! We weren’t really sure what we should do at this point, so  took a picture in case I needed to show proof.

Luckily, there are several other places to pay the day use fee, so it was not a big deal. Phew! I don’t know know what the penalty is for not paying, but I am sure it is more than 6 bucks.

IMG_7346

The next area to pay the fee. I believe this is still the Provo River.

IMG_7348

Getting into the thick forest (DBP). I really love it up here.

IMG_7351

I believe this is Bald Mountain (DBP). The pass next to it is at 10,759 feet in elevation. It is really the only part along the Mirror Lake Highway that makes me nervous at all. And it even really isn’t that bad, it’s just super windy.

IMG_7354

I thought this was Mirror Lake, but looking closer, I believe it is Pass Lake (DBP). Still nice.

You can see the view from Bald Mountain Pass and the scenic Mirror Lake itself here.

IMG_7816

And we have reached the trailhead!

IMG_7356

View across the way, I believe this is Hayden Peak.

IMG_7357

And I think this is Kletting Peak.

IMG_7361

Beautiful forest!

IMG_7367 - Copy

Indian Paint Brush.

IMG_7370 - Copy

Butterfly.

IMG_7373

IMG_7376

The trail is pretty rocky, and there are spots with rocky steps like this.

IMG_7380

Little waterfall.

IMG_7381

One of the open meadows.

IMG_7383

The creek. Nice and clear.

IMG_7386

The trail through the trees.

IMG_7388

Lots of boulders through here.

IMG_7389

Part of the trail goes over solid rock, so they lined the path so you don’t lose your way.

IMG_7391

And a cool rock bridge. Neat!

Landis kept asking me if we had done this trail before, and I kept telling him no. I have never done it in my life. I asked if maybe he did it before we met? He wasn’t sure, until we hit this bridge and he definitely remembered being here before. He doesn’t have the weird… I guess you might call it almost photographic memory that I have with nature, (seriously, there is something wrong with me, I can recognize places I’ve been from even terrible photos) but he does remember doing this trail at some point.

IMG_7394

The rock slab bridge. Pretty neat feat! I wonder how they managed it.

IMG_7397

Little waterfall.

IMG_7399

It is absolutely breathtaking up here!

IMG_7402

Big pair of trees that fell over and took a good clump on land with them.

IMG_7403

Another nice meadow with a stream. Reminds me of our adventure at nearby Washington Lake.

IMG_7405

Pretty impressive cairn with I believe Kletting Peak in the background.

IMG_7408

And with what I think is Hayden Peak.

IMG_7406 - Copy

Indian Paint Brush.

IMG_7409

And the creek again.

IMG_7411 - Copy

Wildflowers next to the clear clear creek.

IMG_7416

I’m not sure if this peak is named.

IMG_7417

Sign for the lake. This is, well, fancier than most US Forest signs, and looks pretty old.

IMG_7419

Another boulder field.

IMG_7421

I’m pretty sure this isn’t it.

IMG_7422

Lovely though.

IMG_7430

Again, I don’t think we have quite made it.

IMG_7432

But again, very lovely.

IMG_7435 - Copy

Caught a great shot of a robin flying off. This particular robin let us get closer to it than most birds do. But when it did finally startle off, I got a great shot of it.

IMG_7438

IMG_7439

I thought this might be it… but again, no. Keep hiking.

IMG_7440 - Copy

With Hayden Peak in the background.

IMG_7446

The creek and a peak.

IMG_7449

And we have made it! Ruth Lake in all it’s glory! We decided to walk around it and explore some.

IMG_7451

Fun curved tree.

IMG_7453

Ruth Lake and unknown peak.

IMG_7454

Cool formation off of this other unknown peak.

IMG_7459

Ruth Lake is fairly large.

IMG_7458

And pretty clear too.

Ruth Lake 1

Panoramic.

IMG_7465

Side creek. I suspect this might come from the nearby lake we tried to find.

IMG_7467

Ruth Lake with Hayden Peak. A little too much wind to get any mirror like affect.

Ruth Lake 2

Another panoramic.

IMG_7475 - Copy

Another old sign.

IMG_7478

There are a couple little springs near the back end of the lake.

IMG_7479

Some lily pads too.

IMG_7483 - Copy

The far end of the lake offers a great view of it below Hayden Peak.

Ruth Lake 3

And a panoramic from back here.

IMG_7497 - Copy

Got to enjoy a woodpecker going to work on this fallen log.

IMG_7504 - Copy

Wildflowers.

IMG_7515 - Copy

IMG_7522 - Copy

There were a couple wood peckers pecking a way around us so I decided to pull out the telephoto. It was actually pretty neat watching them go to work, and strip off large chunks of bark rather quickly.

IMG_7529 - Copy

The lake and some flowers.

Well we certainly enjoyed the lake, but I still had a lot of energy in me and I thought I remembered seeing a nearby lake on one of the maps I looked at. I found a trail that continued up so we decided to go for it. I mean, there are over 1000 lakes up here and we have yet to hit double digits yet so why not?

1) If it was an easy adventure you were looking for, go ahead and stop now.
2) Spoiler alert, this trail did not take us to the other lake.

IMG_7531

Parting shot of Ruth Lake through the trees.

IMG_7536

Beautiful trees and rock walls.

IMG_7537

Ruth Lake and Hayden Peak.

IMG_7538 - Copy

A little closer to that neat rock formation. Kind of looks like a monk or something.

IMG_7542

Into the woods! I love the high elevation conifers.

IMG_7544

View of Ruth Lake from above.

IMG_7546

And then we hit this barren rock slab. Luckily, someone has gone through the trouble of lining the path with a rock wall and some cairns so we didn’t lose our way.

IMG_7547

IMG_7548

This is really bizarre. Its like something I would expect to experience in Southern Utah, like the Petrified Dunes Trail in Snow Canyon. Only, white rocks instead of red rocks.

IMG_7552

Nearing the end of the moon rock landscape.

IMG_7554

Another little pond.

IMG_7556

The trail kind of became hard to follow and was making me a little nervous. But we did find cairns that kept us on track.

IMG_7558

Some of them were a little smaller and harder to see.

IMG_7560

I really am loving it up here.

IMG_7562

The trail is thin, but at least I can see it.

IMG_7564

Little bowl of Glacier Lilies.

IMG_7565

Trees and cliffs.

IMG_7567

It still astounds me seeing trees growing out of solid rock.

IMG_7568

So amazing up here.IMG_7575 - Copy

I caught this guy scrambling up the hill. I thought it might have been a fox or coyote, but now that I am looking at it closer, it seems too short in stature. Possibly a badger, or maybe a porcupine.

IMG_7576

More pretty rock walls.

IMG_7577

Thin trail, pretty woods. Well, I don’t know where this trail is taking us, but I really feel like we should have reached the other lake by now.

IMG_7581

I’m pretty sure this is the lake I was after.. so now I have no idea where this trail is taking us. But, no matter, we are enjoying ourselves so we’ll keep going as long as the trail stays strong.

IMG_7586

All the rocks cliffs amongst the green almost looks like old ruins.

IMG_7589

We both just really enjoyed the scenery up here. Not to mention the peaceful solitude.

IMG_7592

Another rocky area with some cairns and rock linings to help guide the way. For how well, remote and deserted this is, someone sure has gone through a lot of effort to keep you on the path. Which, I really do appreciate.

IMG_7596

More Glacier Lilies.

IMG_7598

I’m not 100% sure, but I think that might be Bald Mountain. It is the right direction from where we were, but I don’t know.

IMG_7602

Getting a little closer to the ridge it is looking correct, and I think I even see the highway heading up to the left of it, which would fit. Yea, I am leaning on being right that this is Bald Mountain.

IMG_7604

And yet, I still don’t know what mountain I am climbing.

IMG_7610

And again, not 100% sure, but I believe we are getting a glimpse of Mirror Lake from up here.

Well since we followed a trail that we had no idea where it was going, and it was getting late, I set a 10 minute, ‘or the trail got to thin’ turn around time. It has been 15 minutes and we hit a trail split that wasn’t as obvious as I would have liked. So, we decided to call it a day and turn back. However, this trail might get another visit.

IMG_7622 - Copy

One last look at Bald Mountain.

IMG_7623

And back down the thin trail.

IMG_7634

Decent shot of Kletting Peak.

IMG_7642

Some pretty wildflowers.

IMG_7647

Somewhat better shot of the lake I was after, and the tree filled valleys. I think this actually shows both Naomi and Hayden lakes.

IMG_7650

Decided to get a shot in while up here. This might be my highest elevation shot.

IMG_7657

IMG_7659

Pretty up here.

IMG_7662

I think I see a glimpse of another smaller lake.

IMG_7667

Trees and cliffs.

IMG_7668

Trees and views.

IMG_7669

I don’t know if it is the high elevation or what, but the lighting makes everything seem so crisp and sharp.

IMG_7675

Nearing the rocky part.

IMG_7686

Well, I did find a small pond.

IMG_7694

Back to the large granite slab.

IMG_7696

Which looks like it has some signs of glacier activity.

IMG_7702

And back down to the view of Ruth Lake, with Kletting and Hayden Peaks.

Ruth Lake 4

Panoramic better shows both peaks and Ruth Lake.

IMG_7709

Approaching the lake again. I love getting above views of lakes.

IMG_7716

And back to Ruth Lake with Hayden Peak.

IMG_7718 - Copy

Wildflowers next to the lake.

IMG_7729

That low area between the peaks is that barren area we hiked across earlier.

IMG_7730

Yellow Monkey Flower.

IMG_7731

A little cloud cover makes the lake a deeper blue.

IMG_7738

One last parting shot of the lake

IMG_7742

One of the smaller ponds below.

IMG_7745 - Copy

Robin taking off.

IMG_7752

Some interesting mushrooms on this log.

IMG_7759

IMG_7763

Lazy streams in the meadow.

IMG_7765

Boulder field.

IMG_7775

Stream through the woods.

IMG_7786

Got a little closer to the large cairn. It is actually a pretty impressive rock stack.

ruth lake 9

Panoramic of Kletting and Hayden Peaks.

IMG_7793

Back down to the rock bridge.

IMG_7808

IMG_7810

The lovely forest.

That was an excellent hike! I really need to spend more time exploring the Uinta's! There is certainly a lot of incredible views and sights to be had.

We ended up adding about an additional mile to the .75 to the lake for a total of about 3.5 miles.

IMG_7821

Bald Mountain on the way back (DBP). Yep, that is definitely the peak we were looking at from above.

IMG_7825

Bald Mountain just after the pass (DBP). Definitely looks different from this angle.

IMG_7826

I think this is Teapot Lake (DBP).

IMG_7827

Driving through the thick woods (DBP).

IMG_7974

I love this canyon (DBP).

IMG_7975

We did end up getting rained on a little (DBP).

IMG_7989 - Copy

As we were driving into the sun, I suspected there might be a rainbow behind us. And after struggling to get a good shot from the passenger seat Landis decided to pull over so I could get a shot. I am happy he did. Very prominent double rainbow plus pretty mountain valley.

IMG_7993

Fun clouds (DBP).

IMG_7998

Heading down Parleys Canyon (DBP).

Well I had a great time! This was a great adventure, and even with the longer drive for a somewhat short adventure, it was absolutely worth it to escape the heat, and see our amazing high elevation wilderness. I definitely need to take the time to explore the Uinta's a lot more, there are over 1000 lakes, and thousands of miles of wilderness just begging to be explored. Definitely going with 10 out of 10 squirrels!

squirrels 10

As for difficulty, To Ruth Lake I thought was pretty easy. Mostly flat, some up, some rocky, but seriously not too bad. DR3. The section we did above I would bump up to at least DR4. Little bit steeper, but mostly the being a little uneasy as to if I will be able to find the trail.

Dogs are allowed, but they must be restrained at all times.

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

No comments: