Monday, July 4, 2016

The ‘Fairy Forest’


Did you know, there is a ‘secret’ place in the woods where mommy bloggers take their children to trash the woods? Then they encourage other mommy bloggers to do the same thing. Because it is magical, and whimsical and fun for the kids. I did not find it to be magical, or whimsical at all. I found it to be deplorable, and trashy. It mad me sad, and a little angry. Whoever started this should be ashamed of themselves. If it is not blatantly obvious, I hated this ‘trail’.

I don’t know why I decided to come see this. I know I am not the target demographic, and part of me knew it would upset me. But, I donno, I guess I thought it would be smaller. Like a lot smaller, and maybe it wouldn’t be so trashy. Unfortunately I was very, very wrong on both parts. If you wish to visit, well, do so. But please, please, I beg you. DO NOT add to this. In fact, I suggest you do what I did, and take some of it back with you. Actually, I have a better idea, bring your kids. Teach them this is wrong, and encourage them to do their part to help clean it up. You can make it fun by telling them to pick out a home to add to your own garden, and a couple rocks (if they are rock collectors like I am/was as a kid).

Update 7/13/16: Fox 13 recently did a story and provided a few facts. The forest service spends HOURS removing 5 truckloads of garbage from this area every year. Still think this is harmless? We pay for that. They also said the paint breaks down and likely goes into our water.

IMG_7911

Quick Details:

Length: probably about a quarter mile to the dump, er forest.
Difficulty: DR3. Super flat.
Elevation Gain: Not enough to mention.
Restroom: No
Dogs? I don’t know, this is not an official trail so there is no official answer.
Extra Info: Just a heads up, if you add to this, you are LITTERING. Which can lead to a fine.
Oh also, fee area. $6.00 for a 3 day pass.

I went back and forth as to whether I should tell you how to get here, but maybe if you are still reading, I haven’t upset you by my harsh words so far and hopefully you are the type of person who won’t add to it? To get here head up toward Kamas. From Kamas take the Mirror Lake Scenic Highway to mile marker 17. Park here. Follow the wide path back into the woods. You will pass through a campground and across the road. Then you will cross what was a dry stream, but is now a very active stream (this is probably a blessing, considering). After the stream you go up a small hill and then you will see the beginnings of the monstrosity.

 IMG_7828

Mile Marker 17. On our way up the canyon there were cars lined on either side of the road. On the way back down they were all gone so we decided to stop.

IMG_7832

It starts out nice enough.

IMG_7836

The stream you have to cross.

IMG_7839

Actually there are 2.

IMG_7843

Right after the stream you start to see signs of it.

IMG_7844

A couple painted rocks. Okay this is not terrible yet.

IMG_7846

Oh… What. The. Fuck?

IMG_7847

And trash.. trash everywhere.

IMG_7850

The little rings of rocks, and rock lined paths aren’t so bad, well they wouldn’t be if they weren’t painted. However, we are just getting started.

IMG_7857

IMG_7861

Yes, that tree appears to be wrapped in ribbons.

IMG_7864

Just, shit everywhere.

IMG_7868

Why is it graffiti when teens do it, but whimsical when kids do it? Answer: it’s not. It is still graffiti.

IMG_7870

It just looks like parents handed their kids gallons of paint and said: “Go nuts!”

IMG_7873

This one kind of shows just how big this thing is getting, but not really. It just keeps going.

IMG_7874

I mean, some of the little gardens are cute, and maybe when this started it was cute, but it has really gotten out of hand! If you want to make a little fairy garden, do so in your own yard!

IMG_7875

Holy crap.

You know, when I am in the woods, I find peace and calm and happiness. I don’t want to get all hippy dippy on y’all but I did not feel any of that. In fact it felt kind of dark and obtrusive. Of course that could have been my own growing anger, but it still just had a bad energy.

IMG_7879

Ruth and Rob need to slow down.

IMG_7881

IMG_7888

IMG_7891

IMG_7892

I’m not kidding this just keeps going. If I had to guess I would say it has to be a least a good square half mile. Plus the random flare outs.

IMG_7894

IMG_7897

IMG_7898

Sad smile

IMG_7902

I actually think those mushroom caps on the logs are cute. However, again, in my own garden, not in the woods.

IMG_7910

IMG_7911

IMG_7912

So much.

IMG_7915

I didn’t take all these photos because I thought it was cute. I took them to show you just how much of the forest this is taking over, and why it needs to stop.

IMG_7917

Okay, some of them are cute. But they belong in suburbia, not our forests.

IMG_7920

It really is a huge swath of land.

IMG_7922

Even Jack Skellington doesn’t make it better.

IMG_7930

They even bring up plastic toys to just rot away up here.

IMG_7933

I just can’t do it anymore. I had to get out of here. This is such a downer.

IMG_7961

The stream to make me feel better.

The mommy bloggers and well, anybody else adding to this are guilty of vandalism, and littering. This is despicable and disrespectful to our national forests and it must come to a stop. I welcome ideas to help reign this in.

I had such a great time on our Ruth Lake adventure, and did this afterwards and it just ruined the great feeling and left me feeling bleak, and angry. 0 out of 10 squirrels. Only the 2nd trail to receive this rating, and frankly I think it deserves to be lower than that.

squirrels 0

As for difficulty, DR3. short, flat, easy peasy.

Dogs, again, I am not sure about. When I am unsure I go with a no. However they are allowed on other Uinta trails, so you make your own best judgment.

Copy of dogsno

No comments: