Saturday, March 4, 2017

Jump-off Canyon


Jump-off Canyon is a beautiful, steep canyon located in Ogden. It starts out pretty mellow and then quickly changes to a steep scramble along a boulder strewn dry creek bed. It slowly climbs the Bonneville Bench in a nice desert climate and then switches to some scrub oak and pines all culminating into a deep canyon surrounded by high cliff walls. There is a seasonal waterfall as well. I was hoping since it had been so warm the past couple days we might get to see that, but not today. It was still a great adventure though. I can’t really find why it is called Jump-off Canyon. My best guess is probably something similar to Suicide Rock, that there might be an old story of someone jumping off the high cliffs. I don’t know though, it could just be due to popularity with bikes.

IMG_7862

Quick Details:

Length: 2.94 mile loop
Difficulty: DR3 if you just do the loop. DR5 if you decide to climb the canyon.
Elevation Gain: 1046 ft
Restroom: No. The closest one we found was a little ways south down Harrison Blvd.
Dogs? Yes, however Ogden has a leash law.
Other Info: This is probably not a good summer trail due to not having much shelter from the sun.

To get here: Take i15 towards Ogden. take exit 344 for 12th St. and head east. Turn left on Harrison Blvd. Almost 2 miles later, keep your eyes open for the very small, unmarked parking lot on the right at about 425 N Harrison Blvd.

IMG_7693

The mountains above the trail head. I was a little concerned this one might be a little too much in terms of steepness, but it actually wasn’t too bad.

IMG_7694

One of the handy Ogden trail markers. This trail network is a little confusing, but they have adequate signage so I never felt lost for very long. Ogden might be giving Farmington a run for it’s money on it’s trail network!

I actually just noticed that middle sign there, it is actually talking about the Ogden Trail Network Signage! Wow! Basically the Ogden trail network, the city, RAMP and other donors help fund it. Between 2013 and 2014 volunteers helped to install them all. This is fantastic. I also enjoy that they are keep a general theme so you know it’s legit. The only thing I would like to see them add is mileage.

IMG_7696

IMG_7697

The trail starts out between some houses.

IMG_7698

And then slowly starts climbing the Bonneville Bench.

IMG_7699

Very quickly offering a great view of the valley below.

IMG_7702

At the top of the first hill you will come to the first trail split. You will want to stay left here.

IMG_7703

And then you get to enjoy some level trail for a little bit, as well as a nice view of Ben Lomond.

IMG_7706

First view into Jump-off Canyon.

IMG_7707

The next trail split for the alternate north trail. Not sure where that goes, but we stayed on the north trail.

IMG_7968

Surprisingly I didn’t get a picture of the 3rd trail split on the way up but here it is on the way down. The other side shows the alternate trail info. Anyway, this significant split is about .27 miles up and just beyond the North Alternate split. I don’t know which is easier. I only started paying attention to mileage on the way down, but by my calculations it is about .6 miles via the north loop and about .3 miles via the south to get to the actual canyon spur trail. So, if up the canyon is your destination you can probably save a little time skipping the north loop. Anyway, we took the North loop up today.

IMG_7708

Continuing along the north loop. A little thin through here but not bad.

IMG_7715

Jump-off canyon. No matter which loop you take, it is going to take you beyond the canyon, and then switchback towards the canyon again.

IMG_7716

A little bridge. This was the first sign we probably weren’t going to be seeing the waterfall today.

IMG_7718

Better view into the canyon.

IMG_7720

Lovely view of Ben Lomond.

IMG_7721

Unmarked trail split. They both get you where you need to go. i think the lower one is the main trail and would probably be a little less confusing, but the upper one (which is what we took) does get you there as well.

IMG_7727

Passing under the power lines. You can hear the buzz of electricity.

IMG_7728

The mountains above.

IMG_7729

The trail we took brought us to this canal road. We were a little confused as to where to go for a minute but I noticed the trail below keep heading north, so we went that way.

IMG_7731

No Swimming… uh… I don’t think I would even consider it. Even if it did have water.

IMG_7730

More of the mountains above.

IMG_7732

Some interesting looking caves.

IMG_7734

View of the valley below.

IMG_7735

And we hit another trail marker. okay great I know we are still going the right way. We have also hit the elbow of our big switchback and will swing from traveling north, to south.

IMG_7736

The caves almost make a face.

IMG_7737

The trail is even more thin through this section.

IMG_7738

Some of these trails that climb the Bonneville Benches with almost no trees can freak me out sometimes, but this trail was just fine. the slope is not too steep.

IMG_7740

The caves again.

Jumpoff Canyon

Panoramic of the view below.

IMG_7747

Oi, another trail split. Again we pondered which way we should go. I ultimately decided the direction to Jump-off Canyon also says Alternate Loop, so we continued along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail to the right. Reviewing google maps, I wouldn’t bother with the alternate loop at all. Looks like extra mileage to end up at the same location.

IMG_7749

Looking up towards the canyon again.

IMG_7751

The mountains again.

IMG_7756

Nearing where the stream would come down. We found this odd boulder sitting on another one.

IMG_7759

And a weird hole.

IMG_7760

And after about .92 miles we made it to the Jump-off Canyon Spur! If you want to keep things easy, skip this and enjoy the 2 mile loop back to the trailhead. This spur is a little bit more difficult.

IMG_7762

The trail is a little bit more thin.

IMG_7765

Looking into the canyon.

IMG_7769

Looking down at the valley below. You can see Antelope Island to the left there.

IMG_7771

View of the cliffs.

IMG_7773

Starting to enter the canyon proper and getting surrounded by rock.

IMG_7779

Rock climbers above.

IMG_7781

Sheer cliffs above.

IMG_7784

The mountain again.

IMG_7788

Eventually the trail just kind of becomes the creek bed.

IMG_7792

More cliffs. And a little ice falls.

IMG_7795 - Copy

A hawk hunting along the cliffs.

IMG_7799

Closer view of the ice falls.

IMG_7803

Looking into the canyon again.

IMG_7804

And the ‘trail’. Lots of rocks and boulders to get around. Keep a good eye on your path.

IMG_7805

The cliff walls are amazing!

IMG_7808

Fun cloud spirals.

IMG_7813

I am really enjoying the scenery up here.

IMG_7816

Looking ahead again. I was pushing to get at least around the next bend.

IMG_7818

Another little cave.

IMG_7824

Looking down again.

IMG_7823

The faint trail I was following lead us into a thick clump of trees. We eventually found our way out of it.

IMG_7829

Getting closer.

IMG_7831

Fun little peak. It is starting to remind me of the nearby Waterfall Canyon (Summer).

IMG_7840

Starting to round the bend, and I do believe I see a thin icefall!

IMG_7843

Success! We made it and even though I was certain we wouldn’t see the waterfall, I was still holding onto perhaps seeing a frozen waterfall and we did! Although, smaller than I had hoped.

A couple months ago we saw a really excellent frozen waterfall at Waterfall Canyon (winter).

IMG_7845

Another shot.

IMG_7846

View back down. Holy crap we are seriously up there!

IMG_7853

It looks like it’s maybe another what.. quarter of a mile or so to get to the end of the canyon/base of the falls. But, we were both tuckered, didn’t want to tromp through snow, and we had somewhere to be. Besides, I was pretty happy with the end view we got today. I might have to try it again during runoff and see if I can actually see the waterfall. My pedometer app put this at 1.42 miles.

IMG_7862

I did think to pull out the telephoto lens for a minute before we left though.

IMG_7860

It almost looks like some of it is coming out of a cave.

Okay, we had our fun, but it was definitely time to head back.

IMG_7868

Fun canyon walls.

IMG_7873

Heading back down. Have to be mindful and go slower than gravity wants you to go due to all the boulders and rocks.

IMG_7881

View down again.

IMG_7895

Looks like there might be a cave or mine up there.

IMG_7896

Oh look, I found a faint trail again.

IMG_7897

Fun rock outcropping with a teeny tiny window.

Jumpoff Canyon 2

Panoramic of the canyon above.

IMG_7909

One last view before we leave.

IMG_7911

Interesting crack, or layer in the rock.

IMG_7916

A little closer.

IMG_7919

The trail has started leveling out, phew! I was starting to worry my knees were going to give out.

IMG_7920

Fun rocks.

IMG_7921

Getting back down to the loop.

IMG_7923

We decided to complete the loop instead of returning the way we came up.

IMG_7924

I think these are juniper trees.

IMG_7929

You have better views of the canyon from this side.

IMG_7930

Ben Lomond.

IMG_7934

And the peaks above. I’m not sure if this one has a name.

IMG_7936

This section of trail seems to be pretty mellow.

IMG_7938

Another fun rock outcropping.

IMG_7945

Looking out across the valley again.

IMG_7947

Another helpful sign directing us back to the trailhead.

One of the downfalls of doing a loop, versus doing an out and back trail is that on an out and back trail things look familiar on the way back. A loop, well, if it is your first time you are just as blind on the return as you are on the way in.

IMG_7950

The valley again.

IMG_7953

Through the trees.

IMG_7954

Weird colored cactus.

IMG_7955

band of red rock.

IMG_7956

Hit the canal again, thought we were back to the same place as before for a minute, but nope, definitely not.

IMG_7958

Oh, good to know. I guess this further explains the no swimming signs.

IMG_7959

There are no trail signs, but the trail continues directly across the canal road.

IMG_7960

In case you decide to come up this way, here is where it picks back up coming up.

IMG_7962

Still a lovely trail. As I am putting this together, the south loop might be a little steeper, but it is wider, and probably a little less confusing.

IMG_7963

The canyon again.

IMG_7964

A small mess of switchbacks.

IMG_7965

Ah! Now I know where we are! Almost back to the main trail.

IMG_7966

Another shot of Ben Lomond. One of these days I will actually do a trail on it.

IMG_7969

Back on the main trail.

IMG_7972

And back down to the trailhead with the small parking lot.

Whew! That was a little tougher than we are used to, but then again we have spent the last couple months staying out of the mountains due to unusually high avalanche conditions this year. I really enjoyed this trail though. But again, that might be due to avoiding the mountains for so long and being back in them. Going with a 9 out of 10 squirrels. Losing one due to slightly confusing mess of trails, and being a little tougher.

squirrels 9

As for difficulty, If you stay on the loop trail, it is pretty easy and I would rate it as a DR3. If you decide to continue up the canyon, I am going to bump that up to a DR5. Due to faint trails, and boulder scrambling.

Dogs are allowed, on leash. Please clean up after your furry friend.

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

2 comments:

Buffalo Spirit said...

Thank you for this great review - the photos were wonderful. I grew up in the area back in the 60s/70s when there were little to no houses east of Harrison/Mountain Rd (my goodness how much development in that area has happened since then). My friends and I tried so many times to climb to that waterfall. Your photos brought back great memories in addition to me being able to see that darn waterfall up close finally (though frozen)! There were no trails that I am aware of in those days - and I never heard of Jump Off Canyon. So your guess as to why it's named that is as good as mine. The "caves" were also always a target of my friends and me ... never could reach them, though. The canal was always an easy point to get to; but in certain times of the year, there was a lot of water. My best friend said her neighbor lost their little dog in that canal when it was full of water and that was the first thought that came to mind when I saw your photos. No warning signs in those days, but we certainly did steer clear of playing in or around it. I could go on and on, but want to thank you for your great story through words and photos. I may try to hike this trail if I am ever in Ogden in the near future. Before I get too old - and I can cross it off my bucket list!

Random Rambler said...

I am so glad you found my blog and got to take that trip down memory lane. Thank you so much for sharing your experience growing up here. If you are interested, we came back during run off season and I managed to scramble up to the falls! Though it took a bit of encouragement.

https://cabbit777.blogspot.com/2019/05/jump-off-canyon-seasonal-waterfall.html