Sunday, April 22, 2018

Creekside Park

Creekside Park is the newest park in Bountiful, in fact it just had it’s grand opening yesterday! It has been on google maps for at least a year, causing us to pull up to a park that did not exist a couple of times before I found the city page explaining the upcoming park.

I am always on the lookout for nice, shorter trails that follow creeks to take my pups along. So, when I discovered it was finally open I jumped on it to explore. The park is really pretty and offers all the amenities one could want in a park, play ground, grassy areas, picnic areas, and all that. However, this was not the trail I was hoping it would be. I was really hoping to have a longer, more wild trail to explore the creek and gulley a little longer, but it was super short, paved and didn’t really stay by the creek. Long story short, if you want a nice family day in the park, this is the place for you. If you want a nice trail, well there are definitely better options.

IMG_1394

Quick Details:

Length: About a half mile loop.
Difficulty: DR2. Paved, easy peasy, with an easy unpaved option,
Elevation Gain: 39 feet.
Restroom: Yes.
Dogs? Yes. As far as I know, leashed.

To Get Here:

Take exit 315 in Bountiful for 2600 south. head east. 2600 south will become Orchard Lane and start curving to the north. Turn right on Mill Street and the park will be on the right hand side at 600 E Mill Street.

The Trail:

IMG_1391

IMG_1392

I wanted to head down to Mill Creek so we went that way first. I noticed this incredible I think suspension bridge, or some hybrid of sorts. Definitely not as high or long as the Bear Canyon Suspension Bridge You know, as awesome as it is, I think this is a little overkill for the small creek it crosses.

IMG_1393

Mill Creek. This comes out of Mueller Park.

The bridge appears to connect to a small patch of grass, and then to the neighborhood beyond. So we turned back to see what the the upper trail had.

IMG_1394

The paved trail.

IMG_1396

Tree over the trail.

IMG_1397

The paved trail kind of follows the creek, but not really.

IMG_1400

At the end of the trail there is a picnic table.

IMG_1401

And a small stairway down to the creek.

IMG_1402

Mill Creek.

IMG_1404

Mickey loves water so he was happy to wade a little.

Note, the creek was a little rough here, so be sure to keep an  eye on your little ones here.

IMG_1408

From here we found a dirt path above the paved trail that appeared to lead back so we decided to check that out.

IMG_1409

IMG_1410

Well, this is kind of nice.

IMG_1412

Random weird structure.

IMG_1416

Heading back to the parking lot.

IMG_1420

Full parking lot. I did not capture just how packed the park was today! I’m not sure if it is because it is new, or it was the first really nice weekend of the year, but wow, this park was crowded!

Aside from the crowds, this was not what I was hoping for with this park. I expected some grassy areas and a playground, picnic areas. etc. But I was really hoping for a more natural trail along the creek and well, that is not what we got. Damn. Don’t get me wrong, the park is absolutely beautiful! And definitely something that we have been lacking for a while so I am happy for that.

Between the crowd, the lack of natural trail, etc, I am going with a 4 out of 10 squirrels today.

4 Squirrels

As for difficulty, it is paved, with the option of an easy unpaved section. going with a DR2.5

Dogs are allowed. Please be sure to clean up after your furry friend.

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

No comments: