Thursday, November 12, 2020

Sandy Pond

Sandy Pond is a small fishing pond located in, well Sandy. Years ago I remembered having a random fishing excursion here with some friends we caught and ate the best darn rainbow trout I ever had there. Probably more due to freshness than anything else. Anyway, I was reminded of this ponds existence after my last adventure on the Jordan River Parkway and still on my mission to find my new Bountiful Lake (nice pond with 1 to 1.5 miles around for quick dog walking purposes) I decided to check it out. Unfortunately, this ended up being a little too short for what I am looking for.

Quick Details:

Length: About a half mile. Loop and 2 spurs.
Trail Type: Paved, flat. Easy going.
Difficulty: DR2
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: Yes
Dogs? Yes, leashed.

To Get Here:

From the north, Take i15 to 90th south head west. Turn left on Sandy Parkway. turn right on 10000 S (Shields Ln). Turn right towards the pond.

From the south. Take i15 to 106th south. Head west. Turn right on Jordan Gateway. Left on 10000 S (Shields Ln). Turn right towards the pond.

The Trail:


Cute. But kind of confusing if it was my first time, might think I ended up at the wrong place haha. But no, this is where I am meant to be.


The pond. It looks a bit smaller than I remembered.



Duckies!


Nice little fishing dock.


The pond again.


American coots.


Hey what gives! I thought I would be able to go around the lake. From google maps there is a trail all the way around it.

However now that I am zooming in a little more closely I can see the fences. It looks like the north end of the lake is on the golf courses property. Lame. Whelp, I guess we will have to go back the way we came.


The pond with some American coots.


With Mount Jordan.


Local pond rules. Seems like a weird place to put them, at the end of the dock.



The ducks here are definitely used to being fed. Reminder, bread is bad for ducks and pollutes their water. Consider bird seed, grain, corn, or sliced grapes.


American coots.


They were coming after us for food, until they realized I had dogs with me.


Then they decided they weren’t that hungry.


Back to the safety of water. 

We are making our way towards the east side of the lake now.


The pond.


The inlet. Not sure if there is a spring, or a creek feeding it.


The pond again.


End of the line for this side. Darn. Alright, back we go.


Phragmites. An invasive species.


Smelling all the smells!


The outlet on the SE side of the pond.


The pond again.


Well, that was WAY too short at about .37 miles. So we decided to do the loop around the adjacent park.




Little bit of wetland hiding behind the reeds.


Looking back towards the park from the south end.


Ducks chilling at the end of the loop.


One last look at Mount Jordan.

I am a little disappointed you can’t fully circumnavigate the pond, and I honestly can’t say if that was the case some 13 odd years ago when I was last here, or not, however I think that would have made this already short walk even shorter. But the pond is pretty, and the (13 odd years ago) fishing is great. I would say, don’t make the effort to come out for a walk if you are not very close. 6 out of 10 squirrels.


As for difficulty, it’s paved and flat. DR2.

Dogs are allowed, but must be leashed at all times. Please clean up after your furry friend.

No comments: