Sunday, November 5, 2023

The Summum Pyramid

 The Summun Pyramid is a fascinating pyramid located in downtown Salt Lake City. There is not a whole lot to it other than it is a random pyramid in the middle of our city. It is listed on several weird Utah sites and even the Atlas Obscura so it’s been an oddity that I have been wanting to check out for some time now. What I did not know until now was that this is the equivalent of a temple for a smaller religion. Now, I am not a fan of organized religion for many reasons, however I want to be respectful, so hopefully I can do that with this post while still sharing it’s uniqueness. Without making an appointment, you will likely not be allowed inside the property so you can only see it from the outside of the fence.

Quick Details:

Length: It’s really just get out and look unless you have permission to enter the grounds.
Trail Type: NA
Difficulty: DR1. Get out and look.
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: No.
Dogs? Dogs are allowed on public streets of Salt Lake City, leashed. I don’t know abut inside the grounds but I would assume probably not.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

From state street head to 800 South and head west. Turn left on 700 west. Go about 400 feet and you will not miss it on the right.

The Trail Visit:


Approaching the pyramid (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)).


The pyramid.

Some fun facts from the website (outside link):

  • It is 40 feet across at the base, and 26 feet tall.
  • It is aligned with “true” north allowing each side to align with the cardinal points of the universe.
  • Construction began in 1977, and was completed in 1979.
  • The pyramid is considered a sanctuary and temple, although, interestingly enough, they were forced by the government to license themselves as a “winery” due to the the custom nectars they make and use during their services.
  • They do allow the public to come to their Wednesday philosophy classes, however it is by appointment only right now due to the pandemic. See their website for more information.

I am actually kind of interested in going to their philosophy class. Mostly because I would like to see inside the pyramid, and maybe more of the grounds, but also, I am kind of curious.


A quote they have displayed.


The pyramid and the fence with the Summum name.


I am not sure what direction they consider to be the front, but it looks like the door is on the south side. I love the symbol at the top of it.


Although it is much smaller than say, The Salt Lake Temple, The Cathedral of the Madeleine or even the Masonic Temple it is no less interesting. And like those sacred buildings I am sure it draws a good number of curious onlookers, such as myself.


Another public facing quote.


The northeast corner.


The east side.


The top. According to the website it, as well as the 4 corners are large Brazilian quartz crystals.

Again, without having permission to enter the grounds, there is not a whole lot to it, but what you can see from the street is really neat and I am glad we made the effort to come and see it finally. I really think I might look into attending their philosophy class.

I don’t feel comfortable rating this one, but I will just say it is cool.

As for difficulty, like I said, it is drive up and see. Maybe walk around a little if you want. DR1.

Dogs are allowed on public streets of Salt Lake City, leashed. I don’t know abut inside the grounds but I would assume probably not.

No comments: