Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hidden Falls and a few extras.

 

We tried to do a hike today, we really did. Sometimes things just don't happen the way you plan. I had planned on hiking around Moss Ledge, however we discovered that the area was closed due to flash flooding. So first, that is a warning I take very seriously, 2nd, even if I was not smart enough to yield to that warning, the other threat of a hefty fine definitely sealed the deal. We would find another hike.

So we got back in and drove up to the Donut Falls trailhead. Only to find the parking lot packed. Landis started parking on the street (like 20 or so others had done) when I saw the no parking anytime sign, and told him so. Just as he was pulling back out, we watched a ranger ticket the vehicle in front of us. So.. yea good call. Donut Falls is out.

 

DSC_0969 DSC_0974

DSC_0978

I did take a few pictures of the area below the donut falls parking lot. We could have hiked up from here its only about 3/4 of a mile more to do so, however we decided it was probably too crowded to be enjoyable.

We then went back down the canyon and I decided that now I know how to find it, we should go check out Hidden Falls that was at the trail head of the Mill Fork B trail.

DSC_0990

As I mentioned this trail is not easily identifiable. So basically you park at the big S curve, and hike uphill. The upper parking lot has the trail head sign, the you have to cross the road (which is kind of scary to do at the S curve) and then you are at the trail head. Instead of following the sign to turn right and go uphill, follow this stream for about 100 feet.

DSC_0993 DSC_0998

All the trees have crazy roots here!

DSC_0999DSC_0001

Obviously, the local teens paid attention to the warning… (I just poked my camera in there is no way I wanted to go in there!)

DSC_0006

Finally, the waterfall!

DSC_0018 DSC_0021 DSC_0026

Hidden Falls is not so hidden, in fact there were a lot of people here! I had to very patiently find my shot, then wait until everybody was out of the way. I actually ended up with a few good ones!

DSC_0037

After coming down out of this little side canyon we realize it is raining.

The hidden falls trail gets a good 9 squirrels. It is really short at maybe 1000 feet or so, and it has a pretty little waterfall at the end. It is crowded though, and that is the only reason it looses a squirrel.

squirrels 9

I then decided to see what was around the lower parking lot.

DSC_0044

Big Cottonwood Creek is still raging.

 DSC_0051 DSC_0048

This is at the trail head to Lake Blanch, which I plan on doing before the season is over. Its a bit of a longer hike, so I need to get going earlier than I normally do.

DSC_0052

Another pretty flower.

DSC_0053

And from the DBP Album, we got another view of the small storm as we exited the canyon.

No comments: