Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Davis Creek: Early Spring

 

Last time we hiked to Davis Creek was in the fall. We hiked to Pretty Valley, back down, then up to Hell Hole, up to Prayer Rock (what a fun combination of places to visit, right?) and then back down. We kind of did a big Y shape. Well I knew there were more water falls in the area that we had missed so I thought we would return. I remember the trail to Hell Hole was quite steep so I decided we would hike to Pretty Valley and up then come back down through Hell Hole (now that I know they connect).

To get here find 500 south in Farmington, follow it east until it curves south. It will eventually turn into a well maintained dirt road and you will see a small reservoir with a small parking lot in front of it on the right. There is a trailhead above that, but if you go just a little bit further up there is a tiny parking lot (2, 3 car max) and the Davis Creek Trailhead.

Check out this handy dandy Map Farmington City provides.

DSC_0686

View from the lower parking lot at the reservoir. Also shows the condition of the road, not bad at all.

DSC_0688

Strait ahead is Davis Creek. The Triumph Trail Head is right here. I haven't done it, but it looks even steeper than this one. Maybe I’ll hike it to the 1st waterfall one day. (It goes up the other side of this canyon.)

DSC_0689

Just a little bit south lies the Davis Creek Trailhead. Now for the fun stuff. :)

DSC_0693

DSC_0698

DSC_0701

The wildflowers are coming up!

DSC_0703

Rocky hillsides.

DSC_0705

The first waterfall.

DSC_0707

So I feel really silly after my last post. I was looking for Indian Annie Rock the whole hike, little did I know I looked right at it. Do you see her?

DSC_0708

How about now? So, its more than just a head-dress. Its a head that looks like it is wearing a head dress. Indian Annie was a local story of an orphaned Indian girl who was adopted and grew up to be a beloved towns person of the area. After she died this formation was named after her.

DSC_0030

A little ways up from Diamond Fork Bench, where the previous shot was taken there is a split in the trail. 100 ft left to see the waterfall, or 1.1 miles to Pretty Valley. We have seen the waterfall from this vantage before, and there is not much too it, but I did want to get a closer shot of the rock formation.

DSC_0717

DSC_0719

DSC_0720

DSC_0722

It is so glaringly obvious, I cannot believe I missed it last time. This is a really cool rock formation.

DSC_0725

Another shot of the waterfall. The side trail takes you to the top of it, so there isn’t a whole lot to see. Plus it’s a little on the scary side.

DSC_0729

Wildflower lined trail.

DSC_0730

It is starting to green up!

DSC_0734

DSC_0736

More wildflowers.

DSC_0744

El Capitan Rock. I just love this rock! Quick note, to see it, you must take the Pretty Valley Fork. Like I said, I decided to go up this way, and down Hell Hole. If you want you can skip the side trip to Pretty Valley altogether, but you wont see this cool rock.

DSC_0745

DSC_0753

DSC_0754

DSC_0756

DSC_0758

It has really interesting markings that make it look like Petrified wood.

DSC_0748

There is a really nice view from it.

DSC_0759

And it’s fun to climb on.

DSC_0775

This last image showcases all of that.

DSC_0779

Well, 2nd time doing this trail, 2nd time looking right at a named feature without realizing it. I think this is Wolf Head Rock. It is a fairly big rock right after El Capitan. I didn’t notice that it was shaped like a wolf head, but I also didn’t notice Indian Annie Rock either. so, not confirming this is it, I would have to come back to do that, but I am fairly certain this should be it.

DSC_0781

Above El Capitan the trail levels out significantly. You can also see there are still good trail markers showing the way. These continue all the way to Pretty Valley, after that it goes back to streamers and metal caps. I said it last time, but I really appreciate all of the work Farmington has put into this trail.

DSC_0783

DSC_0786

Through the scrub oak. I really would like to do this during full bloom some time.

DSC_0790

And we have reached Pretty Valley. Here is the campsite in it.

DSC_0791

Pretty Valley proper. I am not 100% certain, but looking at my little map, I think the strange cut off tree may be Beehive Tree. Not finding a whole lot of information to back that up though. Farmington has done really great with providing a trail map with interesting things to look for, but they could still use a little work describing them, and maybe why they are significant.

DSC_0792

A better shot of the spring I found here last time.

DSC_0796 

Pretty Valley again. We decided to keep on trekkin up.

DSC_0797

I saw a lot of rose bushes around here, random thought, I didn’t see a single one on the Wildrose Trail.

DSC_0800

Pretty views up here as well.

DSC_0802

I think that might be Prayer Rock.

DSC_0806

I am pretty sure this is where Davis Creek enters the wetlands.

DSC_0809

Lake levels. The Great Salt Lake has a very large dry shoreline. The levels can fluctuate greatly.

DSC_0811

Pretty Valley from above.

DSC_0814

The trail washed out here. It has been steep for a while, but I wasn’t sure if we could make it up.

DSC_0815

And then we spotted the cairn. Random useless knowledge saves the day! Cairns or piles of rocks are used to designate trails.

DSC_0817

I think the original trail had a slide and there was a reroute. Here we are at the top of the slide where another set of cairns guides us back to the trail.

DSC_0818

And more uphill climbing. I think the the Hell Hole fork is steeper, but this is still really steep! uff.

DSC_0822

Pretty blue flowers.

DSC_0831

And now we’ve started hitting conifers again.

DSC_0830

And here I can see the waterfall I saw last time! We’re gonna find it darn it!

Copy of DSC_0830

Quick crop.

DSC_0832

And we hit the last intersection we hit last time. We can go to Prayer Rock to the left, Hell Hole ahead, or  Cattleman Trail to the right.

DSC_0833

I thought this was Christmas Tree Ln, but a glance at the map tells me it is Hell Hole. That is weird because Hell Hole Camp is closer to Christmas Tree Lane then. Meh but lookie what I see.

DSC_0835

What’s this?

DSC_0834

I found a geo-cache without even looking for one. I have heard of geo-caching and it has started to get my interest more and more. I just recently learned you sign the log, take a trinket and leave a trinket. I read some of the entries, a lot scouts come up here it would seem. Kind of cool to find.

DSC_0836

Better shot of Hell Hole.

DSC_0838

Ick! Snow! This is why I am keeping to lower valley hikes. Much higher and there will be quite a bit of this stuff!

DSC_0840

Hell Hole Camp. The 2nd waterfall is just north of here (follow the sound of the creek) We had already seen it, and I was on a mission to see the other 3 so we thought we’d hit it on the way down. From here on out, the already difficult trail gets even more difficult. No more signs, just the ribbons and cans. The trail gets really thin and spotty, I almost lost it a few times. And even this early in the season it’s a bit overgrown. The waterfalls are awesome! But yea, rough rough trail ahead.

Copy of DSC_0842

After hiking up a bit we stopped to catch some air and I kept hearing a weird noise. I looked up to see this happy woodpecker popping in and out of it’s little hole in the side of this tree. I have seen one pecking a tree before, but I have never seen one in it’s home. Really nifty!

DSC_0849

More wildflowers. I wonder what this particular species is.

DSC_0857

Hrm. Not sure where the trail is, do we need to scramble up these boulders?

DSC_0860

Oh look a cairn. Yep, up we go.

DSC_0862

View back down.

DSC_0863

And, not sure where the trail is again. Crap. Well, it looks like the stream may have washed some of the trail out, so we kept climbing and found it again. Kind of hard getting around all the debris and the hole.

DSC_0865

Cool scraggly looking old tree. Later, at the top of the trail while I looked at the map again I saw a marker for Old Abe Tree and this looks to be about the right location. There weren’t any other interesting looking trees so I am certain that this is what it is. It’s cool, and worth having a name.

DSC_0872

Nearing the top, and getting close to what I am pretty sure is the 5th and final waterfall. The trail here gets really sketchy, I mean really sketchy. I could barely see it through the trees, and with how high up and steep it was I was starting to worry there wasn’t going to be a good view.

DSC_0875

A couple steps further we found this. Okay, there is a rope to pull yourself back up with PHEW! Still pretty steep and made me a little nervous, but it is better than nothing.

DSC_0882

Now this was worth it! What a pretty waterfall!

DSC_0889

DSC_0891

I tried to get the interesting rock outcroppings in with it.

DSC_0892

With some more of the stream below.

DSC_0899

DSC_0908

View downstream.

DSC_0924 

Maybe it was the nice cooling mist, but I really enjoyed this waterfall. It was really pretty.

DSC_0910

For size.

DSC_0926

Landis scrambling up the rope. It was tough, but the rope really helps to pull yourself up. I could think of a few other spots right around here that could use rope.

DSC_0928

Little cave. The trail continues up from here to Bountiful Peak (probably another mile or 2), but we were done. Also, somewhere right around here is something called Moose Run Ridge. A little further up is Fern Meadow.

DSC_0929

Condition of the trail up here.

DSC_0931

Pretty forest shot.

DSC_0932

DSC_0933

Back to Old Abe Tree.

DSC_0935

Which is fairly large.

DSC_0938

Better shot of the washed out trail.

DSC_0945

Back to the rock outcropping. It was actually easier down than up.

DSC_0947

Nice shot of the canyon below.

DSC_0951

Wildflowers.

DSC_0954

I saw this on the way up, but thought there would be a trail to it eventually we passed it and arrived at the waterfall above. So On the way down I started looking for an overlook of some sort.

DSC_0957

Well here we go. I am thinking this is the 4th waterfall.

DSC_0968

I don’t know how I missed the on the slower going trip up, vs the higher speed trip down, but I caught it on the way down. This must take us to the 3rd waterfall.

DSC_0966

Crap another rope. This one didn’t seem as bad at first but after a few feet it got even more steep. We were tired and didn’t want to climb back up. Glancing at the waterfall, it looked like it may have been just a better view of the previous waterfall so we turned around and headed back up.

DSC_0962

Comparing this image against the others above, I have determined it to not be the same waterfall and this must be the 3rd waterfall. Kicking myself for not manning up and going down to it as I think this might be the one you can see from Hell Hole and appears to be the highest one. Sigh. Oh well, it was a fun adventure today.

DSC_0971

Upon returning to Hell Hole Camp we took the side trail towards the 2nd waterfall.

DSC_0972

It looked like with the higher flow of water it would be more pretty, but we were tired and didn’t want to do any more boulder scrambling.

DSC_0974

Landis rinsing off in the creek.

DSC_0985

Christmas Tree Lane.

DSC_0988

DSC_0991

DSC_0993 

I love these thin trail through a bare forest shots.

DSC_0006

Almost back to the first major trail split, where you can either come up to Hell Hole, or go towards Pretty Valley.

DSC_0017

Copy of DSC_0014

These beautiful butterflies taunted me the way up in this portion of the trail, and on the way down. They refused to settle down for a shot until I found one that wasn’t so skittish. Absolutely stunning creature!

DSC_0032

Pretty shot of the backlit trees.

Copy of DSC_0035

Wonder what this is for.

DSC_0036

DSC_0037

DSC_0039

Back to Diamond View Bench where we can see Indian Annie Rock. I read that the different light during the day changes the way the formation looks (obviously) but in the morning hours she looks young, midday, middle aged, and dusk an old woman. A great analogy of life to the daylight. I can see it here vs my earlier images some 3 hours ago.

DSC_0045

Pretty shot of the trail

DSC_0046

The reservoir Davis Creek feeds.

DSC_0049

Where Davis Creek redirects to the reservoir.

DSC_0050

And a hole in which we can hear it through.

DSC_0054

View from the freeway.

This is seriously an amazing hike, beautiful, tons to look out for, and is absolutely deserted. Again, Farmington while providing landmarks to look for could use a little help providing a better description. However, it kind of fun looking out for them, it’s kind of like a scavenger hunt. The whole trail is up. Seriously UP. Last time I was here I gave it a 9 out of 10 only losing 1 point due to difficulty. I had hoped with the addition of 3 new waterfalls I could up that to a 10, but the additional difficulty to see them brings it right back down to a 9.

squirrels 9

Using my new difficulty scale, I will say, if you plan to hike to Pretty Valley and back, it is a good DR4. If you plan to hike to Hell Hole and beyond (from either direction) it gets a DR5. Particularly the trail to the 3rd through 5th waterfalls. To see any waterfall on the trail involves being on a steep cliff, and/or having the climb down a rope. Definitely not something I would bring the kids on.

No comments: