Thursday, May 9, 2013

Birdsong Trail

 

We got a same day invitation to a family event in Ogden. I have been wanting to go back to Waterfall Canyon, particularly earlier in the year so we can see it going more strongly. Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to do that today, so we looked for a shorter easier hike that maybe Ma could join us on, and we found Birdsong.

The trailhead is at Rainbow Gardens on 20th street. Apparently the trail crosses 6 springs and a pond in a nice forest. Sounds awesome.

DSC_0014

Although, I learned that if you park at the back of the parking lot you cut out a good 1/10 of a mile.

DSC_0015

DSC_0016

Getting nice and green!

DSC_0021

The first little spring.

DSC_0024

DSC_0025

Really pretty little trail.

DSC_0026

The 2nd spring looks a little gross.

DSC_0027

Pretty.

DSC_0028

DSC_0029

Fantastic views of the mountains above Ogden. I think these are the best shots I have ever gotten of them.

DSC_0031

And then the trail starts going UP. It becomes steep, and is on an open steep hillside. Luckily though the trail remains fairly wide so it’s not as bad as some.

DSC_0032

View of the valley below, and you can see where we were when we started.

DSC_0033

More pretty mountains.

DSC_0037

DSC_0038

DSC_0045

Some pretty wildflowers.

DSC_0039

After you complete the rough uphill section you come out above onto a flat, wide open area. The trail follows the edge of a pretty steep cliff. I had to check.

DSC_0041

Cacti and Sage.

DSC_0044

Great shot of the flat area and the mountains behind.

DSC_0048

Ogden Canyon.

DSC_0057

Back to the uphill climb.

DSC_0058

Bee!!!

DSC_0065

DSC_0066

DSC_0068

DSC_0070

The 3rd spring is fairly impressive. We read somewhere that the bench in the first picture is about halfway confirmed by the pedometer app. Ma was pretty tired so we turned around here.

DSC_0082

I love Indian Paintbrush. It just seems to really pop!

Copy of DSC_0090

Butterfly.

DSC_0093

Pretty clouds above Ogden Canyon.

DSC_0094

Tree tunnel.

DSC_0095

Steep slope!

DSC_0096

Random old fence.

DSC_0097

View down.

DSC_0099

Pretty mountains and clouds.

DSC_0100

Back to the pretty forested part.

DSC_0104

More mountains and clouds.

Copy of DSC_0106

Copy of DSC_0108

This butterfly taunted me. I have learned that MOST of the time if you startle a butterfly off, just stay still and wait a moment and they usually flutter right back. This one played with me fluttering back several times and never letting me get in close enough to get a really good shot, but I do like the 2 that I got.

DSC_0109

And ending with a final shot of the clouds coming in.

IMG_2596

So yea, 4/10’s of a mile down, if the trail is really a mile, the bench is less than halfway.

We didn’t complete the trail, so I can’t really give it a fair rating, but I really did enjoy it so for the first half we’ll give it an 8.

squirrels 8

This trail is another example of why I hate the simple easy, moderate, hard system most trail guides use. It was marked easy. With my new ranking system, I would probably rank it the same as the last trail we did, however it did have more difficult parts. So, for now the same ranking, DR3. But I think I might need to revisit my ranking system.

No comments: