Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Deuel Creek – South

 

I chose today's hike because after our grueling adventure up Davis Creek last week, we wanted to do something short and easy. Last time we hiked here we took the Deuel Creek North Trailhead and it was miserable, but we came down the south end and I thought that route would be easier.

To get here, take exit 319 in Centerville east towards the mountains. Turn right on 400 east, then left on 100 S take that all the way to the end and park. Or, if your vehicle can make it up a steep dirt road, turn right, go up the hill, and turn left the trail head is here. If your vehicle can’t handle the dirt road, not a big deal but will add about .2 miles to the hike. (if you notice the thin trail, otherwise a bit more to follow the road) I didn’t see this on the way up, but took it down. Start climbing the dirt rd, a little ways up you will see a small fenced turnout for some utility. Climb up into the foothills and you should eventually see a trail that will take you directly to the trail head. Again, if you miss it, following the dirt road isn’t a big deal.

Now, on to the hike!

DSC_0086

Climbing the dirt road already offers a pretty nice view.

DSC_0087

Rocky hillside.

DSC_0088

DSC_0469

Marked trail head. Now according to the map it is only about .65 miles. Not that bad.

DSC_0089

DSC_0091

Loads of wildflowers.

DSC_0094

The beginning of the trail is fairly flat, but pretty high up a steep canyon slope, so no pictures, but here is where it starts to get a little easier to handle. (have I mentioned I’m not good with heights?) Also you can see the cool old pipe line the trail follows for little while.

DSC_0097

And pretty quickly you enter the forest where the canyon bottom has risen to the level you are at, so its not as steep.

DSC_0099

DSC_0104

And here we met the creek. I think my favorite part of the trail is from here on out, you never stray far from the creek and the wonderful sound of it accompanies you throughout the hike.

DSC_0105

DSC_0109

Strange dam. Probably has something to do with the pipe. I am pretty sure you don’t see it after this point.

DSC_0110

DSC_0111

Random, totally out of place flowering tree.

DSC_0114

And the first of many bridges. I stumbled upon the blog of a passionate volunteer citizen who claims responsibility for building them. If it is true, thank you kind sir!

DSC_0116

View from the bridge.

DSC_0118

I noticed quite a few side springs feeding the creek. Not sure if they are year round, or just during run-off season.

DSC_0120

DSC_0121

It was about this cool rock cropping that we took the small side trail down from the north trail to the south trail last time.

DSC_0123

The creek is pretty here. Towards the top you will see bridge number 2.

DSC_0129

I really like the rock, it reminds me a little of El Capitan. It should have a name.

DSC_0131

View from the bridge.

DSC_0132

DSC_0133

DSC_0134

Tree growing out of rock, and a first glimpse of the small waterfall. This is probably the most difficult part of the entire trail, you have to climb up these rocks for a short while above the waterfall. It’s not that bad though.

DSC_0135

It is a little tough to see the waterfall. Last time we were here the water flow was quite a bit less so we waded in the stream to get a better view. Today we didn’t feel like getting in it.

DSC_0136

Nice little pool.

DSC_0138

DSC_0140

Here it is from the top. Looks like a fun waterslide!

DSC_0139

View upstream.

DSC_0141

Thin canyon through this rocky part.

DSC_0142

Bridge number 3. Last time we hiked this trail there was a swarm of hornets at the other end and rather than piss them off, and not thinking there was much more to the trail we turned around.  Today we ventured on!

DSC_0143

View upstream.

DSC_0146

Like I said, the trail stays near the stream.

DSC_0148

Log waterfall.

DSC_0150

Fun cascades.

DSC_0151

View up the canyon.

DSC_0155

Twin springs.

DSC_0156

DSC_0159

Getting really foresty and pretty now.

DSC_0161

Not a great shot, but I believe this is the 1st campsite and would also be my number 1 choice to camp in. It is the only one slightly off of the trail (you’d have to cross the creek to get to it). So the other hikers passing through would not be so much of an issue.

DSC_0162

Bridge number 4.

DSC_0163

The 2nd campsite. There are probably a good 5 or 6 up this trail.

DSC_0165

Bridge number 5. I’m glad I decided to take pictures of the bridges because I totally lost count on both the way up, and down.

DSC_0166

Another view up the canyon.

Copy of DSC_0169

Pretty black butterfly.

DSC_0171

DSC_0173

Someone has added stepping stones to most of the muddy sections. Again, whoever you are, thanks!

DSC_0176

Random dam.

DSC_0179

Bridge number 6. This one is cool because…

DSC_0180

DSC_0181

Just above it is a spring, which someone has fitted with a pipe to make it easy to refill your canteen. Personally, I would still run it through a filtration system before drinking it.

DSC_0182

I am really digging this hike! It it just gorgeous!

DSC_0185

A cave?

DSC_0187

Nope, just an alcove. Nice place to have a fire though.

DSC_0186

Just in front of it lies bridge number 7. It was about here that I began suspecting that we have hiked more than .65 miles, so I made a mental note to turn on my pedometer app on the return trip.

DSC_0189

Another shot of the canyon above.

DSC_0193

Really pretty trail.

DSC_0196

Bridge number 8.

DSC_0197

DSC_0198

DSC_0199

Little side stream.

DSC_0200

Water and moss.

DSC_0202

Another nice campsite.

DSC_0204

I love the red plants. I don’t know what they are, but they are pretty.

DSC_0209

DSC_0216

DSC_0218

A couple more shots of the creek.

DSC_0225

DSC_0226

Mossy rock.

DSC_0231

Bridge number 9. This one is a little thinner and shifty. Watch your step.

DSC_0232

View up.

DSC_0235

DSC_0239

Another couple shot of the canyon side.

DSC_0240

Bridge number 10. They are definitely getting thinner and thinner.

DSC_0241

And we are starting to hit some snow.

DSC_0247

DSC_0248

DSC_0252

Itty bitty little cascade. About here I started to think/hope that there had to be a waterfall somewhere along this trail, even though none of the trail guides I read had not mentioned one.

DSC_0253

DSC_0255

DSC_0257

DSC_0258

I really love this trail. I can’t think of another long hike that followed a stream the entire way up locally. It reminds me of some of the gorge hikes we have done in Oregon, but not quite as pretty.

DSC_0262

DSC_0261

I knew it! Hooray!

DSC_0266

A little side trail takes you down to the base of the waterfall, where we find bridge number 11. Of course, this bridge isn’t on the main trail, so should I include it in my bridge count? Nah, we’ll call it waterfall view bridge. This one in particular really shifted on me while I crossed it, so watch your step here.

DSC_0269

DSC_0271

DSC_0274

DSC_0278

DSC_0279

It is not particularly huge, I would guess maybe 20 feet for the main fall, and another 15 for the cascades below.

DSC_0280

DSC_0281

There is an additional split in the trail that will take you right up to it.

DSC_0282

DSC_0285

Small cave behind it, and the cool little terraces.

DSC_0289

View down the canyon.

DSC_0290

Landis risked the slippery rocks to get in close.

DSC_0293

I like how it kind of bursts over the edge, instead of simply falling over it.

DSC_0302

View from below again.

DSC_0311

There is a campsite right at the top of the falls. I might picnic here, but I couldn’t camp here. I’d be too worried about getting up in the middle of the night to pee and falling off a cliff. o.O

DSC_0312

DSC_0317

DSC_0319

View from the top.

DSC_0322

A little upstream looking at where the stream just disappears. According to my pedometer app, the waterfall is a little under 2 miles from the trail head. But the trail continued, and I was enjoying it so much that we decided to continue up a little further.

DSC_0325

DSC_0328

Mossy rock, and some snow.

DSC_0329

Another twin set of streams, this was the prettier of the 2.

DSC_0334

The other one.

DSC_0330

Shot up the canyon. It was getting late and I decided that we would do another 15 minutes, or until the trail got too difficult.

DSC_0332

Just a couple steps further and there was a steep section covered in snow. Okay, we will turn back now. We hiked just under another .2 miles past the waterfall.

DSC_0336

Another shot of the trail

DSC_0343

Back to the waterfall.

DSC_0349

I should have taken a shot on the way up, but on the way down I thought to grab one of the helpful dug in steps for this short steep section.

DSC_0350

DSC_0351

DSC_0355

Hillsides above.

DSC_0361

DSC_0362

Someone also cut the log out of the way.

DSC_0363

DSC_0366

More creek shots.

DSC_0374

It’s easy enough to duck under this log.

DSC_0382

DSC_0389

Nice and green.

DSC_0390

Another campsite. I like that there are campsites, but all but one are right on the trail. So, other hikers tromp right through it, which I would not be okay with. This one is a little better than most as the main trail is above it, rather than through it. Probably my 2nd choice as it is slightly off trail.

DSC_0391

DSC_0393

Rock dam.

DSC_0392

On the way up a group was here, they seem to have left but the campfire is still smoldering. Debated whether or not to snuff it out, because what if they just went to explore? Ultimately it was barely smoldering and it is very well contained so I left it on the off chance that they were still around.

DSC_0399

DSC_0400

Back to the little alcove.

DSC_0403

DSC_0404

Back to the random dam.

DSC_0405

There is another campsite just below it. I didn’t get a picture on the way up due to a couple resting here. This is what I am talking about with the trail going right through most of the campsites. I think this is where the north trail joins the south trail. You can also see a random rope swing here.

DSC_0406

Awfully high up. I don’t trust if it was set up properly and was not willing to give it a go.

DSC_0409

DSC_0417

Small cascade.

DSC_0419

More hillside.

DSC_0420

DSC_0423

DSC_0424

Pretty shots of the trail.

DSC_0426

Steep section.

DSC_0427

View down the canyon.

DSC_0432

Tree island.

DSC_0437

Small cascades below bridge number 2

DSC_0434

DSC_0436

DSC_0440

More wildflowers.

DSC_0444

Random flag on a peak above.

DSC_0447

DSC_0449

DSC_0450

Another couple shots of the trail.

DSC_0451

Approaching the lower waterfall.

DSC_0454

Shot from below.

DSC_0459

DSC_0460

DSC_0463

More shots of the pipeline.

DSC_0464

A storm approaching.

DSC_0466

A look back at the worst part of the trail. Rather steep, and had a landslide. It was traversable but a little on the scary side.

DSC_0467

DSC_0468

More wildflowers.

DSC_0469

Yea, so I am not sure where this map ends, but we definitely hiked more than .65 miles. I think they need to update the sign.

IMG_2594

So from the .18 miles I did past the waterfall, down to where we parked the truck near the bottom of the dirt road it is 2.097 miles.

DSC_0470

View up from the parking lot.

DSC_0473

And the thin trail we found down to where we parked offered this nice shot of the flowers growing around this stand of trees.

Last time I was here, after much back and forth I gave it an 8. Today I am going to give it a perfect 10. It was a beautiful hike that followed the stream the whole way up and ended with a gorgeous waterfall. Loads of wildflowers and plenty of spots to stop and have a picnic, or camp if desired. Plus we only passed a few scarce groups of people. I think this is definitely my new favorite local hike and will probably get a return trip or two.

squirrels 10

As for difficulty, I am going to go with a DR3. It was mostly flat, with slight elevation gains. As I mentioned the beginning is pretty high up and sketchy, and there are a few boulder scrambling spots, but overall it was fairly easy going, lovely walk in the woods. The multiple bridges really help to make it a pleasant experience as well.

No comments: