Thursday, September 6, 2012

Oregon Trip 2012 – Day 3

 

If you missed it, you can catch day 1 and 2 here.

Day 3 we went south towards Florence.

DSC_0094

We awoke with an absolutely beautiful sunny day. It would have been perfect for what I wanted to capture in Cannon Beach, however I know my mom wanted to do that with us. She wasn’t feeling well today so I did my south trip.

DSC_0095

Getting a little foggy near Yaquina Head (DBP)

DSC_0096

This (DBP) image did not quite capture the sand dunes that surround Florence as I had hoped.

My destination today was Sweet Creek Gorge. Unfortunately, I was not aware the road to get there was closed, and only open for 5 minutes an hour. We just missed the last window, so we tried to kill time in the nearby town of Mapleton.

DSC_0097

Here is a shot I took where we turned around back to town. Mapleton did not have enough to distract us for an hour so we went back and waited (im)-patiently for the road to open up again.

DSC_0098

Finally, we got past the construction into the canyon. Very green and pretty up here. (DBP)

After some .. issues with google maps and not being at all familiar with the area, we finally found the trail head.

DSC_0099

WOW! this trail is absolutely amazing! And the smell, the smell! If I could bottle this and somehow make my home smell like this I would. Somewhere between the wet soil, the trees, the wet ocean air all intermingled created the most amazing scent I have ever smelled.

DSC_0102

And look how clear the water is! The picture didn’t get it, but we could see the fish swimming here.

DSC_0104

DSC_0108

DSC_0110

DSC_0113

So green!

DSC_0114

DSC_0116

DSC_0117

Occasionally the trail allowed us into the stream bed.

 Copy of DSC_0123 Stitch

Quick panoramic

DSC_0127

Moss covered tree

DSC_0131

DSC_0132

Pretty stream below.

DSC_0135

DSC_0136

Here the gorge gets a little tight so they built this nice bridge to cross safely.

DSC_0137

Spider.

DSC_0138

Pretty creek.

DSC_0143

DSC_0146

I just love this trail!

DSC_0153

DSC_0152

DSC_0157

DSC_0165

I still cant get over how clear the water is.

DSC_0170

DSC_0171

Mossy steps.

DSC_0177

This waterfall has a name, but I forget it at the moment.

DSC_0189

DSC_0193

I love the moss!

DSC_0190

Green green trail!

DSC_0192

DSC_0195

DSC_0205

DSC_0209

Pretty little cascade.

DSC_0212

DSC_0214

DSC_0216

More moss.

DSC_0218

DSC_0220

Every turn I take I find another wonder in this gorge.

DSC_0224

More greenery.

DSC_0236

And we reached Sweet Creek Falls. Considering the falls we saw by Multnomah, this is not a particularly impressive waterfall, however, that is not what this hike is special for. The entire trip up trough the gorge is special, the lack of crowds, the scenery, the smells, this hike is special and probably the only hike I have done where it was all about the entire experience rather than what we are eventually going to see.

DSC_0232

DSC_0243

And what do I spy in the shores of this pool? A mini lobster? Well that is what I would have thought if my friend hadn’t told me about Crawdads.  Apparently these are common in Utah, although I have yet to actually see one, so it was weird to see not just 1, but 2 just chilling at the base of this waterfall.

DSC_0233

DSC_0252

I almost accidentally stepped on this cute little… uh.. newt? salamander? on my way across to get a different angle.

DSC_0257

DSC_0258

View down the gorge.

DSC_0262

The trail went up a little further so we followed it.

DSC_0266

First view of the upper falls, not much to it. But we waited patiently for a group of old hippies to vacate the viewing area.

DSC_0267

View of the pool below. Looking back I kind of want to take a little dip in there.

DSC_0269

DSC_0272

This late in the year, the upper falls are confined to a hard to see corner.

DSC_0278

I had a similar experience when I hiked Mill Fork D in Big Cottonwood Canyon, hiking down at a rapid pace when I see something dart across the trail and had to come to a halt to process what I saw. The photo did not capture it great, but if you look closely, you can see a snake with some sort of prey in its mouth. I managed to piss it off enough that when Landis went to look at it, it turned towards him and we decided that we did not need to find out if it was poisonous or not.

DSC_0281

Cool old tree.

DSC_0282

DSC_0283

Slug!

DSC_0285

I am really fond of this shot.

DSC_0288

Mossy rocks.

DSC_0296

DSC_0299

More shots of the creek.

DSC_0302

DSC_0286

Mossy woods

DSC_0311 DSC_0323

DSC_0325

DSC_0331

even more shots of the creek.

DSC_0336

DSC_0337

Look at the size of this freaking slug! And I almost stepped on it which would have been really gross.

DSC_0339

DSC_0340

I think these photos are from the upper trail head. When I read about this trail I also read there was another trailhead that offered a different view of the falls, as well as a short trail to another waterfall. We stopped here, hiked a bit in until I was certain this went to where we already were. The road here switched to 1 lane 2 way traffic with pull outs which I am not a fan of, and it was starting to get late so we headed back.

DSC_0341

And the trip back towards the coast.

Well, this little adventure ended up being pretty long so I am going to go ahead and break here. We continued our day exploring the Cape Perpetua area which was also pretty eventful so stay tuned for that!

Well since this post consisted of the most epic hike I have ever done I am going to go ahead and give it a squirrelly rating. A perfect 10. Yes, it was a little out of the way, yes we got stuck in a weird Oregon construction crap zone, but this trail was just amazing. Hardly any other people, it smelled amazing and it is a very pretty trail. I highly recommend it if you happen to be in the area.

squirrels 10

No comments: