Monday, September 10, 2012

Oregon Trip 2012 Day 3 part 2

 

Part 1 of day 3 was running really long, so I had to split today into two posts.

On the way back from Florence we decided to explore Cape Perpetua.

DSC_0343

Fog in the trees. This is the view from the parking lot of the visitor center, which we once again, just missed. I was a little disappointed as there was a specific feature I was looking for this year that we missed the last time we were here. No matter we decided to go out and explore the area.

We parked at the trailhead for the Devils Churn, last time we were here we just went straight down for it, This time,because I was looking for something specific, we took the longer more scenic route. 

DSC_0344

Here is a view of the bay on the other side.

DSC_0349

DSC_0353

The long way around the point here on this rocky lava bed beach was kind of freaky. Don’t get me wrong if for one second I thought I was going to get hit by a wave and possibly get swept out to sea, I would have turned around, but this is one of those areas where the full force of the ocean is prominently on display.

DSC_0359

Here is where the ocean starts to crash into Devils Churn.

DSC_0367

View from about 3/4 of the way in. This is about where the other trail lets you out. I think I prefer the long way.

DSC_0365

And a view looking towards the end of it. Even though the ocean seemed to be churning in much more violently today than it was last time we were here, still no amazing splash up at the tip.

DSC_0373

DSC_0375

I really like how high the waves were splashing up near the mouth of the churn. Unfortunately with how foggy it is it’s kind of hard to tell. Still fun.

DSC_0380

I like watching the sea water stream down the rocks, like little waterfalls.

DSC_0382

I didn’t get a picture on the way down, but a lot of the trails in this area are like wandering around a hedge maze. It’s cool!

DSC_0383

DSC_0389

The churn from above.

DSC_0384

The fog at times can destroy some pictures, but at other times creates some of the most amazing pictures as well. I love it!

DSC_0390

DSC_0391

Some flowers. The 2nd image I couldn’t get in close enough as this was off trail, on a cliff, but I am almost certain those are wild orchids. maybe I am crazy.

DSC_0392

The trail under the forest. I think I captured this better last time we were here.

DSC_0393

DSC_0395

We emerge from the woods at the other side of the little cape at Cooks Chasm and what is the first thing I see? The Spouting Horn is active right now! Heck yea! Last year I had hoped to see something, anything come of this and did not have any luck.

DSC_0398

DSC_0399

DSC_0400

These 3 images show a quick beginning and end of the horn.

DSC_0406

And here it is with more of Cooks Chasm showing.

DSC_0418

And lookie what else I finally found! Thors Well! This is not on ANY of the signage around here. I am not sure if it is a newly discovered feature, or if its dangerous enough that they don’t want people going to explore it.

DSC_0427 

I caught I higher splash up in Cooks Chasm than I did in Devils Churn.

DSC_0445

Thors Well

DSC_0461DSC_0462 DSC_0463 DSC_0464 DSC_0465 DSC_0466 DSC_0467 DSC_0468 DSC_0469 DSC_0470 DSC_0471

Quick series of images, that would probably make a better animated gif that shows the well fill up and drain back down. Obviously this is a large opening in the lava beds that fills in with the large waves but it is really cool. I was hoping to catch it with better lighting, but maybe next time.

DSC_0480

and a quick extended exposure. This is precisely what I was drawn to this for, the capture a ring of a waterfall. Again, I would have preferred better lighting, but I will take what I can get.

Now we return to the spouting horn.

DSC_0506

DSC_0512

I think this is better viewed by video so, I pulled out the phone and got a video of it.

I could have wandered around here forever but it was getting late, and foggy, and I would really rather be back to the hotel before dark in case the fog got thicker. (Been there done that. Traveling highway 101 at night in a thick fog is NOT fun.) As it was, we ended up staying a lot later than we had planned. So we wandered back to the car.

DSC_0524

DSC_0525

DSC_0526

Love this area. I really should have returned before we left the coast.

DSC_0528

DSC_0530

DSC_0536

The bridge in Newport that I really hate crossing, but had a better time in the fog. All 3 DBP images.

After an adventurous day we hung out in the hotel and shared stories of our days adventures. Mom and dad returned to Devils Punchbowl (which we have done quite a few times) and Odie, the crazy one, who was left behind by the rest of us decided to attempt to climb the steep slopes near the hotel. yea, he didn’t get very far because the undergrowth is so thick. This after I wondered about the crazy people that must have bushwhacked the trail we did earlier today at Sweet Creek Gorge. It’s so thick, I don’t know if I would be adventurous enough to be the one to cut through and find a way but am thankful to the people who did, and the people who maintained it. Odie tried, but did not have the tools. Hah, that's my little brother.

Cape Perpetua has quite a lot of things to do, and several trails which we have yet to explore, but just given the trails we did explore, I am also going to give this area a squirrely rating of a perfect 10. Arrive during or at least near high tide and wonders await you.

We have a few more days on the coast to explore so stay tuned!

squirrels 10

No comments: